Drones at Gatwick

Our youngest son is supposed to be flying into Gatwick tomorrow morning from Antigua.  This morning’s flight landed in Newcastle instead.  He’s not unduly concerned about having to spend extra days in the Caribbean though, he could be stranded in far worse places.  

• Upvote 1

Caribbean sounds good at this time of the year.  Several Gatwich flights diverted to EMA today. A ridiculous situation most likely caused by some buffoon with too much time and money at their disposal. Shoot it down !

23 hours ago, FLY2 said:

.......Shoot it down !

But what if it was carrying a 'dirty' bomb or some chemical stuff?  

I definitely think we aren't being told everything.... which is probably right, actually.....

One comment on a Fb site suggested it might be alien craft!  Unlikely, but what an exciting thought!

Oh for goodness sake !  So what's the alternative ?

No idea, FLY..... I just hope that somebody somewhere has the answer, or else flying will become a huge problem

That's if ever folk get airborne again. Absolutely bleddy ludicrous, and stiff action is a must.

15 minutes ago, philmayfield said:

I’m just looking on ‘Flight Radar’ and the airfield appears to be operating again.

Too late for my lad.  BA got him from Antigua to Miami last night (only know that because he posted a photo on Facebook of Miami as they came into land) Now I assume he’ll be on MIA to LHR overnight tonight, thus avoiding Gatwick fiasco.  If all goes to plan he’ll only be 24 hours late arriving back and I expect he’s been hitting the malls today doing his Christmas shopping.  

• Upvote 2
1 hour ago, MargieH said:

One comment on a Fb site suggested it might be alien craft!  Unlikely, but what an exciting thought!

Doubt the aliens would be very excited. Once they see what's living on planet earth, they'll be off like a shot...if they have any sense!

• Like 4

I wonder if different action would be taken if the drone was buzzing the Houses of Parliament, or Buckingham Palace, or GCHQ ?

There seem to be quite a few ways of potentially dealing with the problem; so I suspect there are things which we haven't been told.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-46648160

• Upvote 3

Actually, the woman isn't old enough to be the male's mother (but that's incidental).  I still think there's more to it than is being made public.... maybe the two people who've been arrested have been paid handsomely by someone else to do it?   I expect we may hear more as time goes on....

Now that we have shown how much publicity and disruption can be caused by a drone, this could well happen again. Every idiot will be at it, and terrorists will be rubbing their hands together in excitement. We seems to be totally pathetic, and unable to do anything in this country.

It’s rather taken the steam out of the first novel I was hoping to write. The storyline was about crashing a drone laden with explosives into 10 Downing St. and assassinating the Prime Minister. The idea came during the Blair years before you could buy drones in toy shops and it was about adapting a large model aircraft. Sadly I’ve got to do a rethink.:biggrin: