Local Winner of Masterchef

Local boy Lawrence Henry from Mapperley wins Masterchef the Professionals. He works as a sous chef at Sat Bains. That should bring a queue to the door even at his prices! I see he attended Nottingham High School. Cookery wasn’t on the syllabus when our son attended - not academic enough. Congratulations and good luck to him!

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2

And along with that young man’s success I’ve just read on Trip Advisor that Sat Bains is the # 1 restaurant in the UK and is # 4 in Europe. Not bad for a little place under Clifton Bridge. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1
10 hours ago, LizzieM said:

And along with that young man’s success I’ve just read on Trip Advisor that Sat Bains is the # 1 restaurant in the UK and is # 4 in Europe. Not bad for a little place under Clifton Bridge. 

If only it was in a more appropriate place. I’ve been a few times under the previous ownership (I can’t remember what that was called) but it’s in rather nondescript surroundings for a top restaurant. I’d like to go out of curiosity but I imagine you would have  to put your name down at birth now. I still think I’d come away feeling I’d been ripped off. Meat and two veg man me! :biggrin:

• Like 1
12 hours ago, TBI said:

Not quite, it's 2nd in Nottingham.

Google ‘Trip Advisor’ Travellers Restaurant Choice 2018.  You’ll see that Sat Bains is # 1 in UK, # 4 in Europe AND the World.    I didn't compile the list !

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

TBI, I actually couldn’t care less because we return to restaurants that we enjoy and have never posted a review for restaurants, hotels, airlines, shops or anything else.  But just because an Indian restaurant has been voted # 1 in Nottingham doesn’t mean that Sat Bains can’t hold the # 1 spot for the UK.   All it means is that the Nottingham public prefer to eat Indian rather than spend a lot more at a Fine Dining establishment. 

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Never been and not likely to but from what I can make out you leave hungry and the prices give you indigestion!       :faint: 

• Upvote 1
50 minutes ago, LizzieM said:

TBI, I actually couldn’t care less because we return to restaurants that we enjoy and have never posted a review for restaurants, hotels, airlines, shops or anything else.  But just because an Indian restaurant has been voted # 1 in Nottingham doesn’t mean that Sat Bains can’t hold the # 1 spot for the UK.   All it means is that the Nottingham public prefer to eat Indian rather than spend a lot more at a Fine Dining establishment. 

All Indian food is much of a muchness. It all tastes the same. We've got one in nearby Rolleston. Only been once. Nothing special. I did like the Sagar in Sherwood but have not been there for years. 

1 hour ago, LizzieM said:

Good heavens, all I'm doing is doing is referring you to what Tripadvisor actually says. I don't give a monkeys either.

• Like 1

Catfan, I tend to agree with that, but I think there are also many other things people waste their money on as well.    I suppose people will always spend their money how they choose.   A lot of what I consider to be extravagance and waste does make me feel sad, though

• Like 2

Things will never change, as people are free (at the moment) to spend their money as they wish. I like a nice meal, but have never frequented an expensive place such as Sat Bains. Maybe if I were more affluent, then definitely. On the other hand, I don't waste my money on scratch cards, energy drinks and suchlike. 

Theres always going to be the scenario of someone having more than someone else. Remember the 10 Commandments re envy.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2
2 hours ago, catfan said:

Back on topic I think it's obscene what some people will pay for a meal like this when people on benefits are having to rely on food banks to survive on a daily basis.

Truly obscene.

Article in the Daily Mirror shows a christmas  tree surrounded by presents that virtually cover it, the mother says "quite rightly" that she earns her money and can spend it as she wished.  By the time her children finish opening their gifts the novelty will have worn off, are the gifts for them or her. I doubt many people will look at the picture and envy her or the children, love and cuddles mean more than a mountain of gifts.  Might not be exactly same as original topic but i thought its the same ....spending money to show you can. 

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

I certainly wouldn’t pay obscene prices for eating out but then I don’t like being ripped of. Neither do I give to charities as it appears that many of their senior executives are on six figure salaries which I don’t condone.   People using their disposable income to buy goods and services is a stimulus to the economy and allows for more tax to collected on their already taxed income. It’s for the government to use taxes wisely to correct the anomalies in society. If I say more I’ll be in the forbidden world of politics!

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

As ever, Nottstalgians have risen to the occasion with every side of the argument in full swing. True, the gap between rich and poor hasn't changed since Charles Dickens first made it a public issue, and conspicuous spending is all around - houses lit up like Skeggy front, booze and food in prodigious quantities. Even saw a big van this morning advertising "dial a dog wash"

But, it all makes work for the working man to do. In amongst it all, people man food banks, the sally ann take people in, and doesn't one of the London stations become a hotel over a few days?

So, whatever faith, food, drink,  music or rituals float your Nottstalgic boat, have a lovely Christmas, and keep the insights coming for 2019 (I think there will be plenty to go at, as ever)

Phil

• Like 7
  • Upvote 1

Well you certainly make a fuss over people spending their hard earned cash, and enjoying themselves !