Season of Goodwill??

Disappointed to see so many critical comments on here today/tonight, with personal comments.  The majority here are lovely - 2 or 3 people I would never agree with, but easy to ignore.  Just skip anything you don't want to read - easy enough

• Like 4

Nevermind ‘Season of Goodwill’ Ann, this has been brewing for a long time.  The regulars are sick to the back teeth of silly random comments, very often only a few words that make absolutely no sense at all to the majority of intelligent Nottstalgians.   

• Like 5
  • Upvote 1

Precisely, plus fabricated comments, hypocricy,  insulting posts, bullying, then adopting martyrdom mode and squealing 'Hard done by '.

• Like 3
  • Upvote 2

So you enjoy the daily deluge of delusional banal waffle do you Ann ?

Interesting, informative and intelligent discussion, yes, disjointed, half sentences, no !

Just now, FLY2 said:

Interesting, informative and intelligent discussion, yes, disjointed, half sentences, no !

Yes FLY, but as I keep saying, the silly word games and such that have no relevance to Nottstalgia we can easily just ignore. Each to their own I say.

• Like 1

I used to get involved in the word games years ago and it was a bit of fun at the time. Those threads fill the pages up when you haven’t been on here even  for a few hours, I agree I cannot abide political, sexual, racist posts.  I keep my political thoughts to myself.  But, as you say Ann, you know what I’m referring to and if you don’t agree that is your prerogative but I can assure you that Nottstalgia is going to lose a lot of interesting posters if something isn’t done to restrict ridiculous banal comments that are posted to incite aggravation.  

• Like 4
  • Upvote 1

The word games keep some folk interested, as its possibly their only contact with the outside world. It's innocent fun.

Malicious comment, constant egotistical bragging, downright arrogance, manipulation of topics, and hypocrisy is not fun by any stretch of the imagination.

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

No Ann, it's not easy to ignore. The site is swamped with a glut of photos, which on the whole are of interest, then before folk can comment, were hit with yet more.

Anyway, it's the innuendos, insinuations, and the manipulation of the more gullible of members that I find offensive.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

If you mean me, then say me. Let's not play silly sods !

There becomes a time, as LizzieM has said, when enough is enough. This has come to a head over the last couple of months with one person constantly picking on a couple of ladies in a bullying manner, and also being offhand and rude to new members. 

Not only that,  there's a continuing air of hypocrisy lately, with the said member partaking in word and song topics, whereby he previously berated other members for doing so, and openly insulted them. 

• Like 4
  • Upvote 1

One thing I'm very sure of.  I have never before seen such an underlying level of hostility and division on the site as exists now and I've been on here ten years so I think I have some history and experience.  I think all the posters on this thread would be happy enough with a reasonable level of posting and a degree of kindness and consideration of the feelings of others.

Back in the summer, I posted words to that effect.  Instead of a reasonable level of discussion i was accused of saying horrible things and bullying.   I think the posts still exist if anyone wants to search for them,    I didn't ask for them to be deleted, because I think any open minded person who reads them would be able to see who the agressor was.  Prior to this I have always maintained cordial relations with folks here even when we have disagreed.

Up until the last year or two for the most part NS has been characterised by a warm and friendly atmosphere with a bit of friendly banter and kidding around.   The word games never bothered me.  I wasn't in to them so I didn't read them.  There were only two or three anyway not 12 to 14.  I looked forward to logging in each morning over a cup of coffee.  Often started my day with warm feelings, a smile,  and real nostalgia not just history.  That is a thing of the past.  probably is to quite afew who have stopped posting in recent times too.

IMHO the future of Nottstalgia wil be severly shortened if this continues.  As a member of other forums I have never seen anything quite like this.  I am saddened, as if an old friend is dying.

• Like 9
  • Upvote 1

Interesting conversation going on. I don’t look at this site much anymore, I was really put off by the negativity and moaning. When I first came across it, it was positive, cheery, interesting, funny and helpful in my ancestry hunting. I thought it may have been British weather, Brexit or just cultural differences, but the change in tone became noticeable. I hope things improve on the site, and that good manners and kindness prevail once more. Seasons greetings to all, that’s it from this outsider.

• Like 8
  • Upvote 1

In a few days, it will be my first anniversary of me finding and joining this group (I was Googling 'Berni Inns'). The whole atmosphere here has changed in that time - and not for the better.

I used to look forward to opening NS each morning and going through the latest posts. Now, I just don't care about who's listening to what, associating songs with one another and all that infinitely trivial space wasting that frequently predominates. Yes, I have been known to contribute to one of the word games but my efforts in that are very few and far between and never a running competition to see who can get the most posts made in the shortest possible timeframe as I've seen happen recently.

The site may look as though I log on every day and sometimes several times a day. This is not because I am actively looking at the forum but because I have NS on auto log-on when I open my web browser on any of several machines that I use. Sometimes I just don't bother looking at the site.

Season's Greetings Everyone.

• Like 4
  • Upvote 1

When I first joined NS, I thought it was wonderful and for the most part , I still do. As you know I left Nottm at a young age so it didn't take long for me to run out of my knowledge of Nottm, hence the reason my contributions to memories of 'Old Nottm' soon ran out.

The memories  and places that  have been given back to me by the people on NS are priceless. I can't name you all who helped me because the list is so long it would take up too much space. I have also seen a few people in this time who seem to only want to say hurtful things to other members,, not being brought up that way I can't understand why people want to be like that. This site is not for that kind of attitude. Please leave it alone, vent your anger somewhere else.

I too enjoyed the word games in the beginning, that is why my post count is so high. I didn't stop joining in because the games went out of favour, it was because I just found myself repeating words or songs over again. They helped me through the night sometimes when I wasn't too well.

Come on members, those ones who are spoiling NS know themselves who they are, why do it. Most of us are getting on a bit and some not too well. We have formed a certain kind of friendship between us. lets hang on to that. Why be on here if it doesn't make you happy.

Take Care to you all, and A Merry Christmas and Happy New Year Miducks

• Like 11
  • Upvote 2

Was just going to add my 2 pennuth'' but carnie said it all,, well done Gel.......everyone take notice !!!  the ladies have always been more sensible....

• Like 6
  • Upvote 1

Oooooh Ben, are you after a Christmas kiss or two, or a thick ear ?  :Friends:

• Like 1

I have only been in this site since October so can’t comment on how it was. Since I have been posting I have had a couple of times when I felt I was being not bullied but spoken down to which made me feel uncomfortable and I didn’t go on site for a couple of days and thought about not going on anymore. However most have been very welcoming so why let a couple spoil it. I do the word games which I enjoy but have seen the moaning about them so am considering not doing them anymore. All in all I have enjoyed most of the site but must admit I don’t come on as often as I did at first (came on in the first place to look at my old school postings) and sometimes don’t log in just look to see what is being posted (oh dear does that make me a lurker) and then decide whether to log on or not. I am not posting as often as I did and there are some who I avoid on the site (sorry). Hopefully you can sort this out between you, I haven’t been in site long enough to get too involved and I would like to continue with it. It would be a shame for one or two to ruin it for everyone else.

• Like 4
  • Upvote 2
21 minutes ago, FLY2 said:

Oooooh Ben, are you after a Christmas kiss or two, or a thick ear ?  :Friends:

FLY I thought you were intelligent, what do you think he is after, sorry Ben I couldn't resist the opportunity. 

Lets make this a season of good will, I am sure most of us would like the bickering to stop and return to Nottstalgia friendliness.

Merry Christmas to you all, I am in luck today the wife is taking me shopping.

• Like 6
  • Upvote 1