My recent family history research led me to read this thread. Very interesting. I have a question that may seem a bit strange and I hope that some of our members will have some ideas. In 1927 the remains of two people were dug up and removed from Basford cemetery and interred in a new family grave in the Rock Cemetery. I have searched online to see if there were any major roadworks or building works at Basford cemetery at that time requiring the removal of burials with transfers elsewhere and I can find no evidence of this. Does anyone know anything about the history of Basford cemetery? When I read about this removal in the burial records for the Rock Cemetery I immediately thought that it was the choice of my father's stepmother but then perhaps I was misjudging her as the instigator of this action in relation to her parents remains. Such a drastic action by her would have been costly I guess. I do my best not to think ill of the dead in her case! I am therefore looking for other possible explanations. Any ideas about what may have been the problem with Basford?

In the E.Post in January 1927 is the following :

" Graves removed because of the widening of Nottingham Road where Basford Cemetery fronts the thoroughfare and in order to bring the street line into conformity with that considerable section bounded by Hadyn Road at one end and the cemetery at the other .

150 graves to be removed . In practically every case the coffins are to be interred in another part of the burial ground"

Maybe your relative found it more convenient to relocate to the Rock ?

To add to what DAVIDW has said, this is the area around 1915, before the roadworks were carried out.

Perry Road stopped at Bagthorpe Cottages and was just a footpath (F.P.) down the side of the cemetery, joining Nottingham Road at the bottom. Maybe your relatives were buried alongside the FP which was destined to become the wider road.

basfordcem_zpsthnan1bk.jpg

• 2 years later...