philmayfield

Christmas Turkeys

Just returned from Gonalston Farm Shop. Two remaining turkeys reduced from £116.99 to £99.99 each. They close at 4pm. Can't see them flying off the shelf by then. If you fancy a big bird for Christmas I guess you will be too late! :biggrin:

• Like 1

I'm not au fait with food prices in the UK but that price would most likely buy a flock of turkeys here. How big were those things?

• Like 1

I don't know why we eat turkey. If it was so good people would have it regularly throughout the year. I suppose it's just a tradition. We just buy enough for one meal and then it's gone, thankfully not to be seen again for another twelve months. Roast beef on Wednesday. :biggrin: We had goose one year. That was dreadful. Took a week for the smell of the fat to go away!

We had rack of lamb today. Going to my daughters tomorrow, there will be 30 of us. The first family reunion for a long time and there are a few missing. Tonight bollito and tortellini in brodo. Which is boiled beef( veal) and tortellini in the broth that the beef was was in. Very traditional.

• Like 1

Your mention of Gonalston brought back a few memories, Phil.  Is the old watermill still there?  Heard it was a rum place to work in its day.  Child labour and all that.

Yes, Loppy. The old water mill is still there. Now a luxury home. I think it was  sold recently. It was occupied by Ian Moore who, amongst other things, owned the care home at Hazleford which used to be the Hazleford Ferry pub. No doubt you’ve been in there. They have a tall fence round it now to stop the dementia residents from falling in the river. Had many a happy evening in there. Perhaps I will once more when my wife puts me in there!

• Like 1

Hmmm!  thanks.  Not a place I would ever have wanted to live.  I'm not particularly a believer  in ghosts and such and I don't want to drag this thread in that direction.  Sometimes though if the history of a place was a bit dubious it can seem to have an unhappy atmosphere.  Probably a very subjective thing.

Sorry to hear of the changes at Hazelford ferry.  I knew it quite well.  When I was an apprentice we did some  electrical work there.   Oh dear!  Another place, another century.

A nice piece of pork tomorrow for us, kind of get fed up with turkey twice a year four weeks apart, so pork, apple sauce, I'll make some stuffing, two veg and tators, might even have some Yorkshire puds with it.

No, never knew a Jeff simpson, Phil.   Once worked with a John Simpson, but that was at Clarks of Netherfield where I served my apprenticeship.  I know Clarks closed a few years after I left due to the death of the owner.  So I'd lost touch by then and don't know where they all went.  It was a company of about six journeymen electricians and an equal number of apprentices.