Sign in to follow this  
DaveN

HMV Enters Administration

Very sad Dave...the Download will win it seems....maybe buying music will return to the way it was originally.

• Like 1

I noticed the Vic Centre store was actually closed mid-morning a couple of weeks ago, handwritten signs in the window. I thought something might be up but it was open again last week. I still buy CDs, sound quality with decent equipment much better than downloads but they are still over-priced. HMV did their 2 for a tenner but ebay sellers usually work out cheaper.

Just another example of consumer requirements' changing and retailer failing to adapt.

• Like 1

I buy all my CD's, DVD's online, eBay, or my Man in Hants. Far cheaper than HMV.

Anyway, they're unlikely to stock my preferences.

I'm amazed HMV has survived this long, although they were rescued in 2013.

Even back in the 70s I almost never bought anything from them, because they were always stupidly expensive compared to anywhere else. And they never improved.

• Upvote 1

Things changed at HMV when they left Wheeler Gate....and went into Broad Marsh.download-6.jpgLister Gate branch...when Depeche Mode appeared & played.

With TBI...record shops never addressed change.Had a conflab with the late Brian Selby...he regretted not competing with on-line retail.

Don't know the answer...anyone sees a clean copy of 'Doughnut In Grannys Greenhouse'..gi' me a shout!

What a shame, I tried to help them, I spent a few bob in HMV Vic Centre the other week.

We have a friend who has a record shop in Mansfield, it appears to be doing ok although I’ve never been in there.  Not surprising really, seeing as I never go to Mansfield, think I’ve only been there once in my life!  They talk funny up there don’t they?

• Upvote 1

Aye up siree. Eh, thee do that gel ! Ow's thy keepin'.

• Upvote 1

Went in our local HMV yesterday thinking there would be a few bargains in CDs but as TBI says above just a rack of regular stuff at 2 for £10 . 

One album I did spot at £5.99 was a Jimmy Summerville hits compilation . In Sainsbury's last week , (before the sale ) , same album was £4 .

50% more expensive !.

• Upvote 2

Such a shame! The Oxford St branch back in the mid eighties had loads of stuff you struggled to get in nottingham. With the opening of Tower records they should have seen what was coming. .      In reflection of what I have just stated..they stopped being just music shops.for me that's when my interest waned..they

started selling games

• Like 1

Tower Records had a brilliant selection of every music genre imaginable. I got some great Blues stuff there.

The one in Birmingham was very good too, but on a much smaller scale. Had.many visits there.

• Like 1

Tower records Fly2...Yeah loads of doors opened ! But I think as many closed..did discover Rory Block but had the good fortune to see her in York 2 months later ..an audience of 8 people..in 1991 she was something else!

Fly2 ..I think there's certain labels you can almost attach to tower records circa ..getting tired I will have a think!

• Like 1

Tower here in Dublin is great for French imports..nice Small Faces stuff that is rare. Not forgetting those Dutch Mindbenders Vols.

Tower Records, that's a blast from the past, being based in Sacramento, they had a large store there, I see they went into liquidation this side of the pond years back. Back then there were a few record/cd/tape/VHS clubs that sold discounted recordings, so competition was fierce.

• Like 1

Good post John...i only got familiar with Tower Records through The Standells band.The big hit Dirty Water was on that very label...Think Boston Sox use it at matches?

• Like 1

Agree fly2 lots of artists broadcast on Paul Jones Blues show

14 hours ago, FLY2 said:

Tower Records had a brilliant selection of every music genre imaginable. I got some great Blues stuff there.

The one in Birmingham was very good too, but on a much smaller scale. Had.many visits there.

Only seemed to be stocked by tower else mail order eg Alligator label.

• Upvote 1

Just got in!

Yes..The Standells...on Tower did the music to Riot on Sunset Strip...supported the Stones in '66 and did two of their numbers!

Dirty Water...written by Ed Cobb who wrote Tainted Love...Gloria Jones etc..

Lenny kayes 1972 Nuggets is a milestone..not got the original...but have it on Sire( 1979.) 

Funny this..Dave Hassinger ..the engineer used a Maesteo fuzz box on this and ' I can't ( Get No) Satisfaction.

• Like 1