HM giving out Honours

I fail to see why someone receiving recognition for their efforts should annoy anyone., and have yet to hear a rational explanation for why it does so. I wonder how you'd react to being awarded an OBE for your voluntary work.

As for getting excited, it's a bit like parents praising the kids first gold star, It's pride in an achievement.

They don't give gongs out in lucky bags, they are earned, often by ordinary folk and through sheer hard work, and without any expectation of reward.

Personally, I say 'well done' to each one of them.

• Like 4
  • Upvote 1

If you mean me Brew, then what I meant was my wife gets annoyed with me not being too interested. She is a rampant loyalist. Spent most of the day watching BBC jubilee celebrations. Mind you, she is isolating for her op on Saturday .

2 hours ago, Beekay said:

Spent most of the day watching BBC jubilee celebrations.

We tried watching it here in OZ on FTA TV last evening. It started off well as no-one does pomp and circumcision better than the British but later there were just as many adverts as program so we gave up.

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/3/2022 at 3:12 AM, Brew said:

I fail to see why someone receiving recognition for their efforts should annoy anyone., and have yet to hear a rational explanation for why it does so. I wonder how you'd react to being awarded an OBE for your voluntary work.

As for getting excited, it's a bit like parents praising the kids first gold star, It's pride in an achievement.

They don't give gongs out in lucky bags, they are earned, often by ordinary folk and through sheer hard work, and without any expectation of reward.

Personally, I say 'well done' to each one of them.

Lucky bags ? Used to be a cheap plastic toy made in hong kong, later to be made in China !

I got invited to a garden party at the palace (when I retired… the school I worked at must have arranged it) but I declined not because I don’t like the Queen (I do) but I knew it was just a formality and I couldn’t be bothered to dress up just to get a few dainty sandwiches and cakes with lots of people I didn’t know.  
Much too posh for me!

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

I am from Nottingham and egg n cress sarnies have always been my favourite!

1 hour ago, MargieH said:

I got invited to a garden party at the palace (when I retired… the school I worked at must have arranged it) but I declined not because I don’t like the Queen (I do) but I knew it was just a formality and I couldn’t be bothered to dress up just to get a few dainty sandwiches and cakes with lots of people I didn’t know.  
Much too posh for me!

Margie I had something similar happen for me and did the same, I think the folk in the school would have wished otherwise but for me it was the right thing to do.

• Like 1
On 6/3/2022 at 4:42 AM, Brew said:

I fail to see why someone receiving recognition for their efforts should annoy anyone

We have just had our Queens Birthday long weekend. This brings out the customary awarding of Australian gongs (medals) such as OAM, AM and AO being the most common. I have no problem with the average Joe of Jill getting an award for work they have done for their locality or charitable cause etc and fully supportive of them getting recognition.

I do however have a serious problem with Civil Servants, Defence Personnel, Politicians, TV and media, sports persons, pop stars getting awards for doing what they are bl**dy well paid to do.  As for the media sports persons and pop stars and their charities I could afford to be charitable if I earned what they did.

• Like 4