Hello,

Came  across a post about Chambers Butchers on Coventry road. 160 Coventry road to be exact.  My mum and dad ran the shop and I was born and raised in the house at the back of the shop. I have been trying to find some photos of our shop and would really appreciate it if any one could share some.   

1 hour ago, Chris Chambers said:

Came  across a post about Chambers Butchers on Coventry road. 160 Coventry road to be exact.  My mum and dad ran the shop and I was born and raised in the house at the back of the shop. I have been trying to find some photos of our shop and would really appreciate it if any one could share some.   

Hello Chris

I was at Manning with your sister, Denise. I visited your house when you lived at the shop and later on Wallis Street, so I remember you and Bunty the dog!

How is Denise? Many many years since I saw her.

There is a photo of the shop on this site. Cliff Ton found it for me months ago.

Just out of interest, what stands on the site of 160 Coventry Road now?  Modern Bulwell still confuses me with its roads that didn't exist in the early 70s. I recall there was a lot of very old property on Coventry Road, including a pub, near Chambers' shop. I also recall a large outbuilding at the rear of the shop which had black wooden doors.

20 hours ago, Jill Sparrow said:

Hello Chris

I was at Manning with your sister, Denise. I visited your house when you lived at the shop and later on Wallis Street, so I remember you and Bunty the dog!

How is Denise? Many many years since I saw her.

There is a photo of the shop on this site. Cliff Ton found it for me months ago.

Hello Jill,

I remember you.  We moved to Basford (Wallis St as you said) once the shop was closed, then it was knocked down and turned into a parking lot for the Car Dealership behind us.  That's gone now as well I hear.  Denise is well and living in Calgary, Canada.

• Like 1

Hello Chris

I'm so pleased to hear that Denise is well. I have often thought about her and wondered what she was doing. I'm still in touch with Helena, one of our gang of four at Manning, and we have often spoken of Denise and pondered how she was.

Please give her my regards. The last time I saw her was crossing the road on Long Row, around 1977. She was wearing what looked like a student nurse's uniform. We were in the Junior Red Cross together at Manning and I know she was interested in pursuing a career in the medical profession. I believe she went into the sixth form at Manning but I couldn't tolerate any more of that place.

I remember your mum very well. A lovely lady. She worked at a firm of Dyers in Basford, I recall. Sad that the old house has gone.

Denise once gave me a tuft of Bunty's fur. I saw it only the other day in an old school book!

Can't believe it is all so long ago.

• 1 month later...

This isn't likely to be the Chris Chambers you mean, GD. I was at school with his older sister who was born in August 1958, so he couldn't have been at Mellish during the dates you gave.

There was another Chambers Butchers in Bulwell. Frank Chambers, I believe, much nearer the Market Place. I think they were related and from my recollection there was a lot of not terribly good natured rivalry between them. The Chris or the Mick you seek may be related to them.

• 1 month later...

Henry Mellish became a mixed comprehensive around 1974. From then on it took local kids. My friend Gwen went to the school.

Hi Chris, I was also at school with Denise. If I remember Denise went onto train as a physiotherapist. Good to hear that she is well.