Now I don't wan't anybody getting the wrong idea, but I happened to read something about this gay signalling with handerchiefs thing and was wondering if that sort of thing happened back "in the old days".

I seem to remember something about college scarves, but I might have got that completely wrong. Anybody remember? Not from personal experience, of course!!!!!!

In a liberated society such as we have now, I doubt that there is a need to have secret signals for gays or anyone else (except the secret handshake, black hand gang).

Regarding college scarves, I had these when at college in the '60s but I was never aware of any secret messages that they might convey.

I had a Nottingham Tech College scarf in the 60s. Didn’t go there and most likely bought it at D & P on Friar Lane.  I bought it because I liked the colours, the base colour was grey and there were maroon and gold stripes, probably blue as well.   Loved it and it was a cool item in those days, I wouldn’t have dreamt of wearing my school scarf while out in town!  No idea where that scarf went, it was probably thrown away moth-eaten by my Mum years later. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Several of my mates had Nottm Uni scarves, and none of them were odd. They were proud to wear them.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

At one time in the 60’s I think it was fashionable to have a college scarf, I had one, don’t know what it was for. As soon as the fashion subsided it was discarded, “mod” fashions did come and go very quickly was hard to keep up with them. Thank goodness for C&A couldn’t have survived without them! 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

I had three college scarves in the 60s and early 70s. My first was for People's College when I was there  on day release 1966-9. Then Nottingham Technical College 1969-72 and finally Salford Uni in 1972/3. I had a parka in the mid 60s with fur round the hood and a bottle opener attached to the zip. I used to wear my college scarf as a muffler even though I never had a scooter lol. My parka had a quilt lining and was knee length. It was lovely and warm I recall.

• Upvote 1

I don't know how wife swapping/swingers came into this thread but to me, the whole concept is utterly repugnant. Don't these people reflect on the vows they took during the marriage ceremony? What happens if the concept becomes a conception?

In my naivety in the late '70s when I lived in Kent, I was invited to a keys party (I don't recall the 'correct' name for these events). The idea was that all the men attending dropped their car keys into a bowl as they went in and at some point during the party, the women attending would take a set of keys from the bowl and couple up with the owner of the keys. Not being fully au fait with the protocol, coupled with the fact that I only lived next door, I didn't have car keys with me. What a narrow escape that was!

I'm not a prude or anything but there are certain things in life which I think should have, and should maintain, a certain amount of dignity.

Edit:

Should Nottastalgia be carrying thinly disguised promotional adverts for venues where this activity takes place?

• Like 5
  • Upvote 1

Provided that your head was not too big, you could pull the tubular college scarf down over your head and then wrap the remainder around your neck. Made a great windproof protection on the motor scooter.

• Like 2