New Years Resolutions

It is that time of year again when I think of the things I really should be doing. Have stopped smoking which I suppose is the big one but I suppose there are other things I could be doing. Must try and eat a bit healthier cut back on chocolate and sweets a bit (or perhaps not all at once). Get some more exercise, walking my boys does help with this but at this time of year the weather doesn’t help, but now I have found a park nearby that should help with this as I take them out separately so twice as much walking. Sometimes don’t  feel like doing it but once out 

its fine, have got a new pompon hat and found my scarf (still can’t find some other things but suppose they will turn up eventually, have some boxes marked bits of everything by packers which I haven’t looked in yet) when I moved so no excuse. I have joined a couple of clubs, book club and knit & natter both of which are on Monday’s so could do with seeing if there is anything else through the week I could join, chair aerobics could be a runner if there is one locally, don’t think my hips could take too much jumping around to be honest. I have managed to contact a friend I haven’t seen for many many years and we are going to meet up next week I can’t wait to see her, we will have so much catching up to do. I think a I am going to start doing a family tree as well, something to do on dark nites when I don’t want to go out. Can’t think of anything else at the moment, no doubt other things will crop up as the month goes by. 

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

Good for you SG. Wish I could join you. Here there is Yoga run by my niece, gentle aerobics, needlework classes, cookery classes, ceramics, oil painting, plenty of activity for the younger ones  but I want something that I can't do. It would be more interesting.

27 minutes ago, Stavertongirl said:

I think a I am going to start doing a family tree as well, something to do on dark nites when I don’t want to go out. 

There a quite a few people here who've done that (including me) and it can be very addictive. As well as doing the online stuff, you might also end up going to the Local Studies Library in town, or to the Archives.

• Like 1

You can say that again, CT! I started when I was 3...asking awkward questions and being told to mind my own business...and am still trying to fill in gaps!  I'd recommend it to anyone. In fact, a terminally nosey soul like myself cannot understand why everyone isn't engaged in it!

• Like 2
17 minutes ago, Cliff Ton said:

There a quite a few people here who've done that (including me) and it can be very addictive. As well as doing the online stuff, you might also end up going to the Local Studies Library in town, or to the Archives.

Do as I did. Get out and find the actual gravestones. A fascinating pastime!

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1
3 minutes ago, philmayfield said:

Get out and find the actual gravestones. A fascinating pastime!

That's if they haven't been damaged or removed as posing an H&S threat to people using graveyards and cemeteries as a playground or drug den! :mellow:

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

All quite respectable out in the wilds of Lincolnshire and Derbyshire and Gloucestershire. The General cemetery was a bit scary though on a dark November afternoon. It was obviously the coming of the railways that brought my ancestors to Nottingham.

• Like 1
17 minutes ago, philmayfield said:

All quite respectable out in the wilds of Lincolnshire and Derbyshire and Gloucestershire. The General cemetery was a bit scary though on a dark November afternoon. It was obviously the coming of the railways that brought my ancestors to Nottingham.

I’ve wandered around the graveyard in Binbrook in the Lincs Wolds searching for my maternal ancestors having discovered on Ancestry.com that my Great Great Grandfather grew up there and moved to Nottingham to work on the railway.  I didn’t have any luck finding family gravestones as most were very worn away on the engravings and the church was locked up too.  I intend having another go on Ancestry.com one day but it needs focus and I never seem to have enough time to concentrate on the task.  Might be easier when we’ve retired!! 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

We have a lot of family papers stored in a loft, am going to get them and start from there. I know we are descended from quite a mixture, Welsh and English on my mums side and Geordie and French on my dads side. Will bear in mind the graveyard thing, I hadn’t thought about it. I do find old graveyards quite interesting, can remember going to the one at Strelley I think it was where the female pirate is buried.

• Like 1
3 hours ago, Jill Sparrow said:

You can say that again, CT! I started when I was 3...asking awkward questions and being told to mind my own business...and am still trying to fill in gaps!  I'd recommend it to anyone. In fact, a terminally nosey soul like myself cannot understand why everyone isn't engaged in it!

Jill, "terminally nosey" what a wonderful expression made me smile .

• Like 3

My resolution  is to stop guessing the measure of custard powder. Every one is fed up with having to slice it !!!!

I wont tell you the less trivial ones, because....................................I know I wont keep them. :rotfl:

• Like 5

New year resolution is not to eat between meals at all during January.  (I already eat healthy meals, but tend to graze as well!).    I've managed today already.  :rolleyes:

I may add more things in February, like no puddings at all...

I don't want to shock my body by cutting out all the snacks at once!   Just going to do 'baby steps'

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Ref.new year resolutions, I made one about 40 odd years ago and stuck to it ever since= " Never to make any more resolutions"!  Its stood me in good stead. HAPPY EASTER ALL OF YOUS.

• Like 2
5 hours ago, Jill Sparrow said:

You can say that again, CT! I started when I was 3...asking awkward questions and being told to mind my own business...and am still trying to fill in gaps!  

I don't remember being nosey as young as that.

One of the reasons I started researching family history was because as an adult, I found myself remembering people (relatives) who I'd met when I was a kid, but back then I didn't know or bother about exactly who they were.  As I got older I started thinking things like "who exactly was Uncle Eric who was sometimes at my grandma's house" or " I remember Uncle Sam and Aunt Kathleen, but how were they related to us?"

I started trying to find out about the 'mystery relatives'.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Round at Garden Street, there were lots of framed photos...very old ones..and even more photograph albums...Victorian ones.  Since aunty Emily didn't like children, I was given these to look through in an effort to keep me quiet. That's where the passion for family history started. Initially, it did keep me quiet because I was transfixed but then the questions started.  Poor Emily, I don't think she knew how to deal with me.

I have quite a lot of old photos showing my grandparents - and some of the photos include people who I haven't got a clue about. 

They could be relatives, but there's no-one left to ask for identification. That's when family history gets difficult.

1 hour ago, Cliff Ton said:

They could be relatives, but there's no-one left to ask for identification. That's when family history gets difficult.

That's why you have to start asking questions when you're 3 years old!  ;)

• Like 3
16 hours ago, Cliff Ton said:

Yes things can get a little sticky at times.

Mine started when an aunt gave me a paper copy of our side of the family and looking at it ,it suddenly stopped. At first I didnt research but then I got to wondering why it had stopped.. My great great g/f was illegitamate so I suppose it was a blot on the family. That was my paternal ggg/f but my maternal family from cornwall goes back as far as I have been able to go , to 1660. Along the lines I found a lot of sadness and interesting stories, eventually finding out how my surname came about then finding another person following the same line. Very interesting but I am obsessed with one person who seems to have a few versions of her name and I can't find out much about her. For the moment I have left it alone with the intention of picking it up again where I left off.

• Upvote 1

Ah, yes, nonna. The rattling skeletons in the cupboard!  My tree has quite a few and one of them was the reason auntie Emily didn't want to answer my questions. I found out anyway...you do when you're terminally nosey, like me.

Another couple of skeletons are the reason why my name is Sparrow. Gt gt grandfather was illegitimate, as was his mother. If Mary Ann and Esther Sparrow had been married, my name could have been totally different...something common like Smith, perhaps!

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Mine would have been Galloway. Mary Hunter became Boyle when she eventually married and then became  another name when she remarried again. That became a new thread to follow but as it wasn't  my line I didnt bother but someone that was following Marys 2 nd husband gave me quite a few pointers in the right direction and it brought forth a younger brother of the illegitimate ggg/f., that died very young but couldnt find the father, whether it was the first one or the one she remarried. ( if you understand. )

Youve got me interested again. 

• Like 1

You find a lot of sadness too. One ancester got married and emigrated to America , had 5 children . He lost his wife through consumption, he had ahorse riding accident. All his children apart from one died in their early years . All except one who lived well into her 80 's. This I found in my paternal grandmothers family.