Back In Time For School

A new 8 part programme starts on BBC 2 tonight at 8pm. Teachers and children travel through the years (starting in 1890's) experiencing how education has changed over the years.

Judging how interesting previous subjects in the "Back To" series have been I think this one will also be informative and bring back memories when your "years at school"are covered.

• Like 2

I enjoyed last week's programme - looking forward to the one tonight.   When I started school in 1948, we wrote with chalk on slates for some of the classwork

At Sneinton infants we wrote with chalk on little page sized blackboards. Always looked for a well worn blackboard and chalk - newly painted boards and chalks made that horrible screeching noise that sets your teeth on edge.

In the episode this week they talked about the "open air school". I remember my mum talking about an "open air school in Nottingham" and someone she knew whose child went there. Where was it? I had not heard of "forest schools" before. Now we have the rash of academies and free schools a Wildlife Trust is setting up a free school based on outdoor learning and nature. Looks like we are going back in time!

It was somewhere near the Bluebell Rd / Alfred St Area. I attended BBH infants in the early 50, and it was a place where all the kids with learning  difficulties went, although they were called Subnormal or Mentally Deficient in those days.

Open air school sounds like some kind of establishment for those with health problems. I knew a lady some years ago who had taught in such an establishment in West Yorkshire but I've never heard of one in Nottingham, unless it was something to do with Harlow Wood?

We have a Forest School just down the road from where we live, but it is a group of parents who home school.   One of them has a smallholding and there is wood as part of it.

Jill, Harlow Wood hospital sometimes had outdoor school lessons but the kids were all in bed!   There was a separate establishment next  to the hospital but not associated with it ...   not sure what children went there.  I seem to remember they were 'handicapped' in some way.

I thought Rose hill,,because the lad next door to me when growing up on Bestwood estate went there catching 2 buses,  

He was six years older than me and a very bright lad,,who suffered with Astma,, so thought Rose hill was for Astma and the like sufferers,,sadly he died at only 18,

27 minutes ago, denshaw said:

Margie,  are you are thinking of Portland college.

yes, that's it

• 2 weeks later...