@philmayfieldahh, I didn't start going until the mid to late sixties by which time they must have been altered. On the right hand side of the pool was a couple of tiers of benches for spectators and on the left was the attendants cubicle flanked by the access to/egress from the changing rooms, both male and female, complete with cold footbaths and showers

• Replies 312
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I heard part of Benjamin Britten's Ceremony of Carols on the radio the other day and it took me straight back to the festering season at the dreaded Manning.   Manning held a service of Less

Re maths teaching, earlier post; The only use for higher mathematics is to be able to teach somebody else higher mathematics.  (Bertrand Russell).

I don't know Jill well enough to be able to recognise her by any leg features.

For some reason I was the one who started this topic of Manning School, now I am not sure why but as a youngster I had only heard about Manning School.  Not sure if I started the post early in the morning. So my eyes would only be half open and my brain would not e working at full strenth (still does'nt) all I can think of is that it should have said Manvers Boys school not Manning School, 

but at least it gets you all posting. It's good to talk.

Just one more bit I don't Know how Parkinson's UK will go on as I have my name down on the list to leave my brain to them for research.

I remember Arnold baths with cubicles either side and I think it was Boys / Men on the left and Girls / Women on the right.

I used to go from Arno Vale and went occassionally later but probably only very early 60's.

If the cubicles moved then I'd guess it was probably when the junior pool was added on to the side and the main pool repaired, yet again.

I think Gedling pit may have been responsible for the almost continuous leaking.

• Like 1
7 hours ago, Stuart.C said:

My Parents had all the ceilings re boarded and plastered, all the concrete paths and driveway re done and other bits, all subsidence damage and paid for by the Coal Board.

When we lived in Mansfield the coal board subsidence inspector came to review subsidence damage to the ceilings at our house. He looked at three rooms and said they needed replastering, he looked at the lounge room and said he wasn't sure if it needed doing, then said "Do you have a broom?" He then went around thumping the end of the broom on the cracks and said "It does now" 

Four rooms ceiling replastered and fully repainted ...... result

@Jill Sparrow I never learned to swim either, after 4 years of going with school. I refused to neither take my feet off the bottom or get my face wet. The teachers were only interested in the girls who learned to swim, instead of persevering with the few scaredy cats. Neither Chulla, me nor younger brother learned to swim. I have my dad's swimming medal he earned at 14. I guess some things skip a generation!

• Like 1

@Jill Sparrowre your post yesterday and manning having their swimming gala at the victoria baths. If i remember rightly the pool and spectator area were bigger at victoria than at noel st. In my time St Davids always won the swimming gala. I also remember when my grandparents lived on manchester st (which was a stones throw from the baths) in the late 60's my grandad used to go to watch wrestling there.

As an aside i read an article a couple of years ago although i cant recall where, that in 1918 during the spanish flu pandemic the pools were drained and used for storing bodies due to the massive numbers of people dying at the time. Doesn't bear thinking about.

Yes, the Victoria Baths had much more seating for spectators. Noel Street had only a rather pathetic balcony where girls sat on occasions when they couldn't go into the pool, such as time of the month or "monthly" as we used to whisper to Miss Ramsden who wrote our names on her clipboard. Such things were not spoken out loud In those days!  I don't think she kept a record of this because I got away with it for several weeks in succession, although she may have simply given up on me!

The one thing I do recall about the swimming gala was the stink of cordite (or whatever it was) from Greig's starting pistol! I have no recollection of who usually won the gala but seem to think it was Edinburgh (blue). I simply wasn't interested and usually took a book to read under my coat!

11 minutes ago, Jill Sparrow said:

simply wasn't interested and usually took a book to read under my coat!

I would put money on that not being your SMP maths book:rotfl:. I was not an avid fan either but it did get us out of school and lessons for a few hours.

You've won your bet! Heaven help any girl who was caught reading instead of watching avidly what was going on in the pool at either Noel Street or Victoria Baths. Why couldn't they just accept that some of us just didn't give a damn about swimming, sports...or maths! :blink:

@Jill Sparrowyou got away with more at your school, regarding not swimming for several weeks, regarding your whispered 'monthlys'. Ha ha. At Crane you could only do that with a note from your mother. I remember word for word my mother's note. Kathleen cannot swim this week, she is indisposed. 

• Upvote 1

@katyjayHow times have changed! I think Miss Ramsden, who was usually landed with teaching the less able swimmers, realized she was never going to achieve anything with me. By the end, she became my personal swimming tutor because I was the only girl in the shallow end and still convinced I was going to drown!  Letting me sit in the gallery for several weeks freed her to spend her time on those who were in the middle of the pool. Poor soul was never allowed near the deep end as that was the preserve of the merciless Greig who once forced me to get in the deep end and make my way across the end of Noel Street Baths to walk up the steps at the other end. I was absolutely terrified and clung to the lip of the side all the way! I will never forget the smirk on her face as she stood there and watched me. I determined I would pay the sadistic sod back for that. That winter, I cracked her ankle with my hockey stick out on the field! My turn to smile!

• Like 1

Both my boys trained at Noel st baths, most nights, also training at Hucknall baths on a Friday night, they swam for Hucknall Falcons, and also for Nottinghamshire, Mr Crisp was there trainer

he would not put up with any messing about.

When my grandson was about 4 I took him to a training pool so he would learm to swim hoping that he would follow his father and join the Falcons. He was petified of the water he would  not even get his toes, wetl  it's amazing after 6 moths swimming was not an issue, he did end up swimming for the Falcons and had trails for Nottinghamshire.  Then he found out about ale and young ladies so that was the end of his swimming,

• 1 month later...

Just look at this rabble. Taken around spring 1974. 

Back row, left to right:

Jill Elizabeth Sparrow (wonder what happened to her?!), Kathryn Smith, Suzanne Bull, Susan Spencer (apparently trying to strangle Julie Brassington)  Christina Standall, Julie Bailey, Helena Seymour, Denise Chambers, Julie Evans and Davina Fisher.

Front:

Elizabeth Bissett, Julie Wootton, Marion Hitchen, Jayne Wood, Julie Breakspear, Gina Holroyd (apparently trying to pull Christina down the steps), Gurbakhish Johal and Elizabeth Blach.

Photographer was Helen Maltby.

Thanks to Kev for uploading.

• 4 weeks later...

@benjamin1945I'm glad to hear you got your revenge on the teacher who destroyed your rattle, I totally agree with Margie H what a horrible thing to do to a child. I have never had any interest in, and have always hated any kind of sport and was always useless at it.

At the Manning we had one particular games Mistress(Jill will know to whom I am referring)who seemed to take a great deal of delight in belittling girls like me with her vitriolic comments and put downs in front of the whole class. 

33 minutes ago, Jill Sparrow said:

Oh yes. Pickleface, if I'm not wrong! Almost speared her with a javelin once and fractured her ankle with a hockey stick the following winter! She hated me!

Speared with a javelin, ankle fractured by hockey stick, can't understand why she hated you Jill

Rog

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

@RadfordDee, you and Miss Sparrow sound like a pair barbaric Amazon's, hell bent on vengeance. Remind me never to cross either of you. I'd be taking me life in me hands.  yada

• Like 1

I whacked someone with a rounders bat once and fractured her skull, not on purpose, she was my best friend. She was standing right behind me when I swung the bat round to hit the ball !