Sign in to follow this  
mary1947

Manning Grammar School

Yes, I know of people on here who had a much more enjoyable time at school.

Meanwhile, I detested almost every single second at FFGS. I loved English Language, Art, History and Geography, but everything else went way over my head. Maybe it was the teachers who I disliked, but two or three were OK.

I was probably beginning to become somewhat rebellious at that age, and disliked the discipline, petty rules, and the hypocrisy of the whole set up.

If one was good at sports, you were revered and lauded endlessly. If like me, you were good at Art, you were classed as an idler, a layabout and useless. It shook them up though, when on of my paintings was chosen to be shown in a nationwide exhibition. 

However, I'm still proud of attending a Grammar School, so something must have rubbed off. 

• Like 5
  • Upvote 2

You sound about like I felt at Chandos school, Fly.  They had high moral standards and I guess some of that rubbed off on me, but their ways of enforcing it were  like something out of a Dickens book.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

I don't know what happens in secondary school today but, at Manning, if another member of staff, sixth former or any adult entered the classroom, we were expected to stand up until told to be seated again. In certain cases, heaven help you if you were the last one off your chair! Under the Dome for the next week!

• Like 1

Yes loppy, I too have retained high standards especially regarding manners of all types, loyalty, resolute, and being a gentleman, charming and chivalrous.

So all was not lost on me !

• Like 2

Think my days at a Sec.modern ie Padstow,,must have been exceptional,,had great respect for all the teachers,,and they all seemed to care for us,,even the ones that dished out the CP,,

Still see a few old school mates,,and we often speak fondly of our days there,,

• Like 4
  • Upvote 1

It certainly was Loppy,, would'nt have gone otherwise.......:rolleyes:

• Like 2

15 hours ago, loppylugs said:

Was it mixed,  Ben?    :biggrin:

It wasn't when he started...but all the girls wanted to be near him, so they followed.

• Like 3

smile2Is there anyone around who was at Manning from 1956 to 1962 ? Alive to hear from you...

My wife was, Minty. Sally Warne. 

I was talking to a friend recently about the deprivation of school days and it made me think about winter time at Manning.

All the classrooms had French doors which opened onto the terrace. This could be useful if one arrived late and the form mistress wasn't yet in the classroom, as a friend would open the doors and let you in which avoided having to go through the Admin Block and face the deputy head who would write your name in the late book.

The disadvantage was that the wood had shrunk since the place was built and the wind whistled through crevices and gaps in those doors, not to mention underneath, where the rain also seeped in during heavy downpours!  Manning faced the Forest, so there was nothing to impede gales until they hit us.

Classrooms...and everywhere else....had no carpets, just solid floors. Two central heating pipes ran along the back wall of each classroom and these were rarely hot. Internally, each classroom opened onto a corridor which bounded the quad. No heating at all in the corridors unless the sun was shining through the glass roof and windows.

It was routine to see your breath condensing in the air both in class and out of it. I also recall sitting in class wearing coat, scarf and gloves because it was so cold.  We were never sent home because of low temperatures. Being sent home occurred on only one occasion when thick fog threatened to stop buses running and those who merited a bus pass (not me) were in danger of not being able to get home.

None of this would happen nowadays. Times were tough then!