You shouldn't have posted that photo CT  :biggrin:

we don't want to give our Ben a heart attack!

• Like 1

Not only for Bens sake what about our Jill she is not to happy with the reminder of the Manning Academy for Young Ladies.

• Like 2

Five years before my time, you lot, but shows the quad corridors had been covered over by glass. Looks like a mixture of sixth formers and probably fifth formers wearing summer uniforms.

As to our Ben, Pickleface would have made mincemeat of the likes of him!  I can safely say that she was one woman he would not have been able to charm! If he had any sense, he wouldn't have tried!

• Like 4

You underestimate our Ben, Jill.  He would just regard that as an extra bit of a challenge.

They didn't have gals like that when I was in school.  :victory:

• Like 2

Loppy and Jill both right,, i would have rose to the challenge,, i never did have any sense ;)

• Like 2

She would probably have enjoyed playing football with you, Ben. She was that sort of woman. :wacko:

• Like 2

I came across this photo recently, and it hasn't appeared previously on here. At a guess it's the main entrance to Manning.

qafzDHu.jpg

I knew it was Manning; just wasn't sure if it was the main entrance or the back door for trades people ;)

4 minutes ago, MelissaJKelly said:

Completely different to the Manning I went to on Robins Wood Road!

Was that the school next to Aspley Wood special school Melissa ? Think I've mentioned this before, my sister in law was in Manning same time as you. B.

8 hours ago, Cliff Ton said:

came across this photo recently, and it hasn't appeared previously on here. At a guess it's the main entrance to Manning.

Correct CT. It's the entrance to the Admin Block. Head's office to the left, medical/viva voce examination room first window on the right, remaining windows on right are those of the school office. First storey windows are those of the needle work room and senior library

Only the sixth form used this entrance. Below that, it was used only by latecomers who were locked out of the side entrances. The deputy head, Colthorpe, lurked behind the doors and would write down names of those who dared be tardy, along with the reason. The result was always detention.

Just looking at it makes me feel ill!

The rear entrance was far less salubrious.

What became the Manning in later years was the old Peveril School building on Robinswood Road.

On 6/25/2019 at 10:35 AM, Beekay said:

Was that the school next to Aspley Wood special school Melissa ? Think I've mentioned this before, my sister in law was in Manning same time as you. B.

Don't think I remember you saying Beekay. But yes that's the school. I was there in 2004 and left in 2009 

34 minutes ago, MelissaJKelly said:

Don't think I remember you saying Beekay. But yes that's the school. I was there in 2004 and left in 2009 

Apologies profusely Melissa, got the wrong person. It was Jill Sparrow. You are way too young. My sister in law was at school back in the late 60s. My wife and i were/are lifetime vice presidents of Aspley Wood school. Didn't the school next door used to be Pevril school before Manning, or have I got that wrong also.

5 hours ago, Beekay said:

. Didn't the school next door used to be Pevril school before Manning, or have I got that wrong also.

Yes, it did, Beekay. I don't know when the changeover occurred. My older sister attended Peveril from 1961 to 1966. Both buildings now gone.

HOW CAN YOU BE A VICE PRESIDENT OF AN EMPTY SPACE ?  Gonna find a dark corner now cos' it's not nice to see a man cry...

The Manning site on Gregory Boulevard is now occupied by a gym/swimming pool on part of the admin block and upper quad footprint. Djanogly Academy was built over the tennis courts and hockey field. Pickleface would turn puce but she probably haunts the gym. If I'd been more successful with my javelin that day in 1972, she'd have started her spectral career much earlier!

• Upvote 1

On 8/27/2018 at 8:13 AM, JAquino said:

My mother attended from Canada around 1953-54.

Found her old photo album, trying to upload photo but says its too big.

If your mother was Diane Haxby from Saskatoon, I have quite vivid memories of her joining our class for a few months. She appeared to us ' frumps' as very glamorous. - tall, good looking with immaculate blonde hair and so confident. I think she was at least a year older than us and managed to make our grey shirts and tunics look stylish. My particular memory is of her standing up when a new teacher came to take class, placing her fingers tips firmly on the desk, pushing up her sleeves (that became the mannerism for all of us to copy) and introducing herself, spelling out her surname so there was no mistake. 

Hope life treated her well.  Chris

Welcome to NS, Berrima.  From your description of the uniform, you were at Manning before my time. I have a number of friends who were there in the 50s and some of the staff would have been there over both our tenures...Miss Long, for instance.

I would be interested to hear  your memories of the place.