Mobile phones in class!

I have just read an article in the local paper about mobile phones being used in school classrooms. I was stunned - had no idea that pupils are allowed to use their mobile phones whilst someone is trying to teach a lesson! In a separate article, same paper, Professor Baikie (UHI), who has children at both primary and secondary schools, said that he is in favour of allowing mobile phone use in classrooms?!

Last week the BBC series "Twinstitute" Doctors Chris and Xand van Tulleken put the mobile distraction idea to the test. Using identical twins they held an intelligence test with half of the twins having a mobile phone on the desk.  In every section of the test the ones with the mobile phone scored lower than their identical twins without phones.   Although this was only a small sample it did show the distraction potential of the mobile phone.

What really takes the biscuit and beggars belief is that a teacher said: "..... it would be difficult to impose a classroom ban as people are so dependent on their mobiles."! 

In the words of the late, great Victor Meldrew "I don't belieeeeeeve it!"

• Like 4
  • Upvote 1

There's nowt wrong wi'a calculator - you can't chat or text each other on one of those.

• Upvote 1
16 minutes ago, philmayfield said:

I was ace on a slide rule back in the 60's. I still have a play with it just to keep my hand in. I've chucked the log tables away though!

We had the log tables chucked at us, together with chalk, board duster, textbooks, exercise books and anything else that wasn't nailed down!

• Like 2

There is a difference between intelligence and learning. If these experts see that mobiles can replace the teacher -why have schools at all? I also suspect that the parents need to be in touch with their children at school more than the children need to be in touch with them. And we all know that most texts are to mates anyway. Bleddy stupid.

OK I'm old school - still got me slide rule and log tables. Remember the exam papers when we used to put 'SR' behind a calculation, to show that the result may be slightly inaccurate. 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Compo said:

What really takes the biscuit and beggars belief is that a teacher said: "..... it would be difficult to impose a classroom ban as people are so dependent on their mobiles."! 

No one had any difficulties imposing bans...on just about everything....when I was at school. Make up, nail varnish, jewellery, non uniform items, speaking to males in the street, biros, long hair not tied up,...the list is endless.  Why should it be so difficult now?

• Like 4
  • Upvote 1

Because to enforce a ban would be deemed to be an assault on the pupils' human rights - I suppose.

thumbsdown

• Like 2