More from the cash cow motorist

Just found out that as of midnight, Monday 8th January 2019, all cameras on the M1 and M25 went live, set at 72 miles per hour. Auto ticket generating system with 6 penalty points.

Watch your speed and please tell everyone else. Any speed over 90 MPH is an instant ban and possible custodial sentence.

• Upvote 2
  • Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Thanks for the warning poohbear, isn't this just another example of fake news though?   From changes within the past 12 months... on a motorway with 70mph limit (and no temporary lower) over

Social media reports of M25 and M1 speed cameras 'going live' from January are being dismissed as fake news by Highways England. Stories started circulating on social media and web forums on 6 Ja

Just found out that as of midnight, Monday 8th January 2019, all cameras on the M1 and M25 went live, set at 72 miles per hour. Auto ticket generating system with 6 penalty points. Watch your spe

Lizzie ! Take note.  

• Upvote 1

Thanks for the warning poohbear, isn't this just another example of fake news though?

From changes within the past 12 months... on a motorway with 70mph limit (and no temporary lower) over 70 up to 90mph the penalty is 3 points and a fine dependent upon income. Between 91 and 100 it's a fine, 4-6 points or ban. Over 101 it's a fine and minimum of six points or ban and only possible custodial sentence dependent on actual speed and circumstances. 

I'd say responsible drivers who keep to speed limits needn't be worried, if you choose to exceed limits be prepared to risk you licence as has always been the case. As to the M25 though, I don't think it's possible to get anywhere near the limit most of the time.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

As I use this stretch of the M1, Newcastle to Nottingham, a few times a year, I’ve not been looking forward to the switch on. Spending more time looking at your speedo than what’s going on around you ain’t good.

• Upvote 2

I’ve been seeing on Facebook for a few weeks/months now that the cameras have been turned on.  Wonder if it’s true this time? It’s so easy to exceed the speed limit in a decent car, when the road is relatively clear and the weather is good.  Dropping down from 70 to 50 is like crawling along.  Actually it’s not worth having a ‘special’ car anymore.  May as well drive one of those cars that look like half a loaf and don’t go above 50 mph.  Expect the insurance and road tax would be more palatable too. 

• Upvote 1

Social media reports of M25 and M1 speed cameras 'going live' from January are being dismissed as fake news by Highways England.

Stories started circulating on social media and web forums on 6 January, with claims that every overhead speed camera on the M1 and M25 would be active by the next day. The posts conclude with a warning that the details of every driver that exceeds 70mph would be sent to a main hub for an instant ticket. The reports have been rubbished by Highways England.

“Safety cameras on smart motorways are set by each regional police force, we are unaware of any sweeping changes to the entire camera network on either the M1 or M25,” a spokesperson for Highways England told HonestJohn.co.uk.

Smart motorways are in place for large parts of the M1 and M25, with traffic monitoring tech and speed cameras used to control the flow during peak times. And while Highways England admits that some speed cameras will revert back to the national limit of 70mph when the variable limit ends, it denies claims that every single one can be switched on to catch out speeding motorists.

“It simply isn’t possible to activate or deactivate every single speed camera on the M1 or M25 at the press of a button,” said Highways England. “Our priority is driver safety. We have no idea where these rumours came from." 

The minimum penalty for speeding in the UK is a £100 fine and three penalty licence points, although some drivers will be offered a speed awareness course if it’s a first offence or they have not been on a course in the past three years

https://www.honestjohn.co.uk/news/driving-1/2019-01/highways-england-responds-to-m25-and-m1-speed-camera-warnings/

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

If you set your cruise control for 5mph below the speed limit, the only time you need to watch your speedo is going down hill. You also get the best fuel consumption on long motorway drives.

• Like 1

Most if not all speedometers on UK cars actually read higher than the true speed. The construction and use regulations say the speedo must be within 10% of the true speed but must not under any circumstances read less. So at an indicated 50 you may well be doing no more than 45, at 80 you could be as slow as 72. DO NOT RELY ON IT. Things like tyre wear and pressure make a difference so do not think you can safely exceed the limit.

Set the cruise control at the speed limit and you will travelling a few mph less than the limit.

Can't cope with the cruise control. Sometimes you just need an extra burst of speed when overtaking a line of trucks.

Precisely. I haven't used it for years, as on the Mway there's invariably some berk changing lanes without indicating thereby causing drastic action.

• Upvote 1

Mine makes you lazy, it brakes, accelerates and steers it self. The cruise and speed limiter are great but I turn the self steering doo dah off as it makes lane changing a bit weird if it doesn't agree with you.

• Like 1

Now that Nottingham and most local arterial roads are covered with SPECS cameras, I use Cruise Control as much as possible. It’s helped keep my licence clean for many years.

Just get up to the speed limit using the GPS speed shown on the sat nav, and stop worrying. Dead simple!

It also means I can happily overtake those who think that the reading on their speedo is accurate, whereas it is usually between 5% and 10% under.

• Like 1

I drive sedately. Not necessarily slow but steady. Motorways I generally cruise at 60 ish but at the limit on 30and 40mph roads which forms much of my daily motoring. Driving around it seems I'm just about the slowest car on the road. If I'm doing 40 in a 40 limit I'm constantly tailgated and then overtaken at speed as soon as the opoutunity arises. It seems many motorists to a large extent ignore speed limits. If your going to speed then given the technology there is a good chance of sooner or later getting a ticket and fail to understand why there is so much anger about this. Is it asking too much to obey the speed limit if you agree with them or not. I know we've all glanced down and realised we've crept over the limit without realising but many systematically drive faster than the legal limit.  There seems to be no sense at all in some limits and I'm sure that is the reason people do it. Part of the A610 goes suddenly from 50 to 40 for no reason I can see but everyone seems to travel at 60 along it anyway. Sorry but I have no sympathy at all if you cop for a ticket.

• Like 1

I know that there are two side's, sometimes more, to many discussions. But personally, i feel that the majority of speed limits are a joke. Back in the days when Jesus was a kid, speed limits and stopping distances were based around the car's of the day. Now we have vehicles that can stop and handle much better than then but now they are bringing speed limits down.

I know it still requires sense to drive, but I think it's mainly done for revenue purposes. Yes I do speed occasionally, but only when it's safe to do so, not in cities, villages, bad roads or conditions etc. And yes I still have a clean licence, and have had for at least 10years.

• Upvote 1

Cruise control gets a little getting used to, easily over ridden by both accelerator and brake and just resume after the braking or accelerating. I only use mine on long straight sections of roads or freeways.

I suffer with my back and on long journeys, when I did them, cruise control allowed me to stretch my legs often, which was a God send when the daily mileage was 600-650 miles in a day.

I remember one holiday, we toured several states in the mid west, journey home was done in a relaxed state, three to four hundred miles a day, no cruise control and a hard bench seat. It was the most uncomfortable pick up truck I ever owned!! By the time I was almost back home in Sacramento my back and right leg was killing me.

Next truck had a drivers "bucket seat" and far more comfortable, WITH cruise control, which I soon got used to.

My wife can't get used to driving with cruise control, seems to over power her and she feels loss of control of the vehicle.

The only thing I've been booked for, was a parking ticket some 40 years back, I refuse to fund government, local state or otherwise with unnecessary fees like fines, so I'm ultra careful, I used to have a radar detector on all the time I was driving, not to allow me to break speeding rules etc, but to make me watch the speedo when I'm approaching a speed trap.

I have experienced emergency services using radar to slow traffic down and make drivers alert when approaching a bad accident on freeways over here.

I've got a brilliant cruise control......she sits at the side of me and it's " there's a car coming, watch that cyclist !! there's a bus pulling out !!".

The times I've said to her "when you get a driving licence, then you can advise me. Otherwise sit in the back". Not that she takes any notice. B.

Been married 53 years and still not found the on/off switch. Just have to put up with top gear advice from her. Maybe it's time for a part exchange.:yahoo:

1 hour ago, Beekay said:

Maybe it's time for a part exchange

I said that to herself once, she said I wouldn't know what to do with  a new woman. I told her I didn't want a new one, one about eighteen or twenty years old will be fine....      thumbsup

• Like 1