More from the cash cow motorist

Mine goes to sleep, she's perfectly happy when I drive and give her a well earned rest. During the week she does a lot of driving, as she owns a  business.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Thanks for the warning poohbear, isn't this just another example of fake news though?   From changes within the past 12 months... on a motorway with 70mph limit (and no temporary lower) over

Social media reports of M25 and M1 speed cameras 'going live' from January are being dismissed as fake news by Highways England. Stories started circulating on social media and web forums on 6 Ja

Just found out that as of midnight, Monday 8th January 2019, all cameras on the M1 and M25 went live, set at 72 miles per hour. Auto ticket generating system with 6 penalty points. Watch your spe

19 minutes ago, Brew said:

I said that to herself once, she said I wouldn't know what to do with  a new woman. I told her I didn't want a new one, one about eighteen or twenty years old will be fine....      thumbsup

Nice one Brew !!

Well so far I manage to get around without a scooter, mind I have a job getting out the truck when I stop, legs a bit wobbly for a few minutes...LOL

I-44 and I-40 replaced most of Route 66, there are sections still in place along it, lots of I-40 has speed limits  from 75mph up to 80mph now, through New Mexico and Texas, this is becoming a worry as the Semi tyres are only rated to 70mph continuous duty, and they are experiencing steer tyre blow outs leading to dangerous accidents, there are calls to govern the top speed of Semi's to 65mph. Some trucking companies program their fleets to 65mph already.

Drivers state, which is true, this will produce more accidents as four wheelers will take grave risks passing a "convoy" of slow semi's up steep grades. At the moment an 80,000lb semi won't slow down too much going up a steep grade when his hwy speed was 75mph to start with.

Some states limit semi's to 65mph, "The Peoples Republik of Kalifornia" is one of those. Glad we escaped that commie state!!! LOL

Ian, I don't think there are any 55mph freeways now, except approaching a city, usually it's 65mph and upwards, it's left to the states now, the feds removed the national 55mph speed limit years back.

Our two lane rural hwy's are 55mph, four lane hwys, (2 one way, 2 the other) are rated at 65mph.

• Like 1

20 years back this year I took a trip up to the top part of Montana to look at some property, the day time speed limit was dropped at that time and the only requirement was you had to drive to the road conditions, ie snow, SLOW down and night time was 55mph.

I found it odd driving 80mph on rural hwy's and seeing a hwy patrol car just sitting there, since then, Montana has imposed max speed limits again.

But back then I think interstate speeds had been raised to 65mph.

You have to be careful where you throw a u turn, most of the time you're not allowed at traffic lights or intersections unless there's a sign allowing it.

Most states allow semi trailers to drive at the same speed as four wheelers.

12 hours ago, Waddo said:

I know that there are two side's, sometimes more, to many discussions. But personally, i feel that the majority of speed limits are a joke. Back in the days when Jesus was a kid, speed limits and stopping distances were based around the car's of the day. Now we have vehicles that can stop and handle much better than then but now they are bringing speed limits down.

I know it still requires sense to drive, but I think it's mainly done for revenue purposes. Yes I do speed occasionally, but only when it's safe to do so, not in cities, villages, bad roads or conditions etc. And yes I still have a clean licence, and have had for at least 10years.

Some speed limits are reduced for environmental reasons. A reduction of say 10mph on a motorway results in a better fuel economy and more importantly for the government a reduction in emissions so we can meet the EU target for air quality.

The problem with reducing speeds on the motorways to 50 or 60 is it's desperately slow. Drivers grow bored, start looking around, fiddle with the radio /CD etc. and generally lose concentration.

The irony is the government figures attribute speed as a factor to only 3% of accidents (still far too many) but show little concern to the remaining 97%  - I suppose it's because there's no revenue stream.

• Like 1

On the vast majority of 'average' journeys, driving faster has a minor effect on overall journey time. How many times do you get overtaken only to end up behind the overtaker at the next set of lights or holdup. I accept that this is not quite so apparent on motorways but even  motorways often have delays and slow stretches where you catch up the faster moving traffic. Sorry to disagree Brew but if your bored and not paying attention driving for whatever reason let alone going too slow, then youre a danger to yourself and others. Speed in itself is not dangerous at all. Its excessive speed given the circumstances. 

https://www.rospa.com/road-safety/advice/drivers/speed/

Most modern vehicles come into their own around 65-70mph, gear ratios and computer controlled engines older vehicles never had.

From what I'm reliably informed, those very large V8 diesels used on heavy trucks perform exceptional well at 70mph, again from truckers, they average around 7mpg (US gallons) at 65-70mpg on freeway driving. a drop to 55mph takes them down to 5mpg (US galls) doesn't sound a lot, over 600 miles a day it's a hell of a lot, of course that cost is passed on to the customer, and then on to us, the consumer.

Of course we are talking here of freeway/motorway driving, long fairly straight roads where you can set the cruise control and relax and let the computer judge the speed to fuel ratio's.

Going back in motoring history, it was thought once you went over a certain speed "you'd" die, of course we laugh at such stupidity these days, most speed limits are imposed to produce revenue, take all those speed limits down and local government loses millions every year.

How many accidents does Germany have on their Autobahn's?? And what are their speed limits?? I know the Germans police their Autobahn's rigidly, and so they should, doing something stupid at 100mph is deadly to others.

1 hour ago, letsavagoo said:

How many times do you get overtaken only to end up behind the overtaker at the next set of lights or holdup.

Exactly.

And in a slow-moving queue with at least two lanes, how many times do you see drivers who have to be in the outside lane all the time - or constantly jumping from one lane to the other - in the belief that they will travel faster. I usually find that sitting in the same lane and "see what happens" is the least stressful to go.

• Upvote 1

German autobahns, a great way to get along. I regularly use them when I take the bike to Nuremburg, and the good thing is the drivers over there pay attention to what's going on around them. It also gives me a chance to blow the cobwebs off the bike. Mind you, they are not all unlimited !!. That's another story ,!

1 hour ago, letsavagoo said:

Sorry to disagree Brew but if your bored and not paying attention driving for whatever reason let alone going too slow, then youre a danger to yourself and others.

Please don't make this personal letsavagoo.

As a RoSPA gold standard advanced driver  (plus IAM) and instructor I'm well aware of the need for concentration and I'm not advocating breaking any laws. I merely point out that without visual and physical stimulus or a changing environment a drivers concentration can slip. Driving on a motorway, especially in light traffic, at slow speeds for any length of time is monotonous.

Concentration, or lack of, was recognised as a factor by road designers after building the M1. The M6 and subsequent motorways as many will know have more curves and fewer long straight stretches to help with the tedium of motorway driving.

You are correct with your comments about speed as is CT about lane hopping but that's the famous Nottsalgian thread drift.

• Like 1
11 hours ago, Brew said:

The problem with reducing speeds on the motorways to 50 or 60 is it's desperately slow. Drivers grow bored, start looking around, fiddle with the radio /CD etc. and generally lose concentration.

The irony is the government figures attribute speed as a factor to only 3% of accidents (still far too many) but show little concern to the remaining 97%  - I suppose it's because there's no revenue stream.

I agree with your comments here Brew.  When following the same vehicle, be it on a motorway or any major road, concentration is slightly diminished.  This is why lorry drivers follow each other for a short distance and then overtake only to slot in immediately in front, All they’re doing is alleviating the boredom of looking at the back of the same vehicle.   When I’m on a motorway journey I’m happy to poddle along for a while but then have the urge to put my foot down to wake myself up, it works for me. 

• Like 2

I can't say I've been bored driving the freeways over here, too much to take in, scenery, probably some of the best in the world. BUT, after driving 600 to 660 miles in one day I have been ready to pull into a Motel for the night.

Truckers over here tend to space themselves out on freeways, some have governed engines locked by the computer at a max 65mph, so they get left behind, which can be a nuisance to other drivers on steep inclines, when one tries to pass another.

There's a good video on Facebook of another trucker who got really peed off by two blocking the freeway on a steep grade, although I don't agree with his attitude, he did point out their stupidty by going up the right hard shoulder with his rig, then "brake testing" the inside trucker when he'd got passed him, making him go much slower, was probably on his CB too calling both Muth*# Effers..

I remember as a youngster going with Dad on Saturdays and seeing him getting sleepy on the M1 etc..Very boring roads.

Nothing like the Rockies, plains and deserts here to keep your mind occupied on long journeys, plus the odd stupid driver giving you a laugh.

46 minutes ago, Brew said:

Please don't make this personal letsavagoo.

As a RoSPA gold standard advanced driver  (plus IAM) and instructor I'm well aware of the need for concentration and I'm not advocating breaking any laws. I merely point out that without visual and physical stimulus or a changing environment a drivers concentration can slip. Driving on a motorway, especially in light traffic, at slow speeds for any length of time is monotonous.

Concentration, or lack of, was recognised as a factor by road designers after building the M1. The M6 and subsequent motorways as many will know have more curves and fewer long straight stretches to help with the tedium of motorway driving.

You are correct with your comments about speed as is CT about lane hopping but that's the famous Nottsalgian thread drift.

This is some information from RoSPA which seems to be at odds with the 3% government figures though, Brew. Whatever the figures, I've always thought that speed-related accidents tended to be the most serious as regards casualties, although that's just my interpretation.

https://www.rospa.com/rospaweb/docs/advice-services/road-safety/drivers/inappropriate-speed.pdf

Interesting the comment about lorries overtaking because of boredom, Lizzie. I know it's a right pain and winds up many car drivers. I wouldn't want to speculate but we have lorry drivers on here, what do you think?

52 minutes ago, Ayupmeducks said:

Nothing like the Rockies, plains and deserts here to keep your mind occupied on long journeys

Rather makes my point Ayup, you can't be gozzin at the scenery and concentrating on the road.

I know what you mean TBI and we have talked about it at meetings. Different organisations don't compile data in  the same way.

Logically moving in a vehicle at any speed and having an accident means speed was a factor, had the vehicle been stationary there would be no crash.

I've seen one set of figures that suggest the no limit section of the Autobahn has fewer accidents than parts that are limited to120kph. I've also read exactly the opposite. How do we define speed related? Speed in itself with the right car, the right driver and in the right circumstance is not a problem. The problems arise from inappropriate speed.

I think we may have wandered off topic somewhat....  ;)

Brew, you can't really miss the scenery when it's laid out in front of you for miles ahead, so even with your eye's "glued" to the road, one can enjoy some of the worlds best countryside.

Remember too, you should be well aware of your surroundings via the three mirrors, so technically, you are getting side and rear views while taking your eyes off the road. I spot things my wife rarely sees, ie we have to be aware of wildlife at the sides of the roads and over the fences, like deer, large birds like vultures and eagles that all can make a mess of your car/truck if they jump/fly out in front of you.

Driving this side of the pond is a whole different ball game Brew.

When I lived down under, we had to watch out for Roos and Wombats, Roos jump in front of you and wombats will wreck the underneath of your car.

I-80 has a stretch that's nickname "the Highway to Heaven", because it stretches out ahead of you for miles and the horizon has a steep incline that looks like it's reaching up to the sky.

Driving down Donner Pass is quite an experience too.

• Like 1

I really can't comment on driving in he US ayeup, I'd like to do it before I get much older. The point I was making is that lowering speed limits on certain roads may be counter productive. Cars will travel closer together and drivers are more likely to notice things,  like scenery, and be distracted. On our narrow crowded roads it takes but a fraction of a second...

Driving in the States is easy-peasy once you’re out of the cities, even I’ve done it without panicking!  No wonder the Americans all had great big cars that were like sitting in armchairs, comfort was/is the No. 1 priority over there for the very long distances involved from A to B but I’ve noticed in recent years that smaller cars are on the roads. 

• Upvote 1