Hi,

I lived on Edale Road across from the infants school late 60s until I was nine. I can remember a few shops along sneinton Dale, Black Cat Newsagents, me and my sister used to play with Susan Shepherd who lived there. I went to school with Wendy Ashurst who lived at the Butchers shop. When I was a bit older I used to walk to Greenwood junior school on Lyndhurst Road where my friend Julie Weston lived! I remember The Lord Nelson pub and in town my Dad’s fave pub was pretty windows ( so called as it had filthy nets lol) we used to buy hot peas in a carton from the fish market.... I could go on.... lots of great memories of sliding down the mounts on cardboard and discovering an old air raid shelter at the back of the infants school On Edale Road. Some names I remember from Edale Road are the Stanley’s, Hetchers, Hisherwoods to name a few. 

• Like 3

I can remember going to Sneinton Market with my Nan, we would spend ages there going round all the stalls. She would get her fruit and veg from there, she always insisted in getting them from the front of the displays as she said if she didn’t there would always be one that was bad and told the stall holders so. She also used to haggle over prices. 

• 2 weeks later...

I’ve been told ( by my younger brother) that I need to correct my earlier post regarding the FOX AND GRAPES pub.... known as PRETTY WINDOWS.... it got its name because of the beautiful intricate design of the architecture around the windows! Not a sarcastic reason of having dirty net curtains..... and there was a murder there in 1963.... the landlord was stabbed and they never found who did it!

Eyup Ozzy,

I lived on Cardale Road and spent many happy hours getting stuck on the clay cliffs on the Mounts. Never really grew out of it and spent many years getting stuck on gritstone climbs in Derbyshire!

Oh, and the Pretty Windows once had stained glass windows (confirmed by a newspaper article in the 1890’s) which is probably where the name came from. I’m just finishing a book on the murder with a bit of Sneinton history thrown in. Just waiting for a few bits of confirmatory details. Soon to be available in pdf format to any Nottstalgian interested!

• 11 months later...