Guardian online Crossword

This might seem a very trivial problem for this forum but -- One of our great daily pleasures is completing the Guardian crossword on my trusty laptop. Last week it became impossible.

The page comes up but not the grid and clues - if you see what I mean. I've clicked all around the page and can get the printable version but not the interactive one that you really need to do it together.

I've emailed the Guardian helpline but to no avail.

Can any clever person on here help me?

I also enjoy a daily mental work-out with the Guardian, Eileen. I haven't experienced any problem with getting the interactive one up though. I don't think it's a problem with the site.

• Like 1

Just opened up today's on my laptop, straight in no problem. 

Because it's freebie though, there are some ads to load, maybe that's slowing you down.

Sometimes the Independent takes a while to load.

• Like 1

Eileen never used it before but works fine for me on my elderly laptop .

Yesterday I was having trouble all day . Laptop wouldn't load itunes up , neither did it want to recognise the external hard drive .

Added to the fact Plusnet seemed to be dropping wifi signal all day which didn't help my mood .

Doing a full power down of the laptop seemed to help ,  i.e. clicking on the Microsoft icon bottom left of screen and then clicking on the arrow and selecting "shut down" . After switching back on , itunes and external hard drive both worked but got warnings from the virus protection saying it needed updating . All OK now though .

Maybe your virus software is preventing full loading of page ?

I do a 'cold reboot' (as suggested by DAVIDW) every night on all my machines to try and ensure good behaviour the following day. It usually works. I also use Ccleaner regularly to keep accumulated rubbish to a minimum and also JRT (Junkware Removal Tool) and a few others very occasionally if things do get awkward.

• Like 1

I was told to reboot daily back in the 70’s and have always done so. It can sort out the RAM apparently. It’s recommended that older versions of Widows are rebooted daily. I’ve generally avoided Microsoft and highly rate Apple Mac being the first customer in Nottingham to buy one from the local agents. Macs have never given me problems and are much more reliable and user friendly than Windows.

A friend of ours spilled a whole cup of coffee over his Mac laptop the other day.  He was devastated as it wasn’t insured!  Two days later he turned it on and it was working perfectly.  That must say something for the product ........

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1