Dear Forum Members

Anthony here, a newbie, so this is my first post on this forum.

Not sure if this is the right forum, so I will just 'dive in' with a questions regarding a project I am working on for an elderly neighbour of mine.

My neighbour is 92 years old,  whom I have got to know recently. We share a passion for family and local history. To cut a long story short...... My neighbour provided me with sufficient information from her memories to trace her family tree back a further 100 years. Its amazing what resources are available at your finger tips on the internet!!

During a recent conversation my neighbour mentioned that her father owned a Fishmongers/Fish&Chip shop at 620 Main Street, Carlton. From her description of the location, I believe that the shop eventually became the bicycle shop (between the Old Volunteer and the The Blacks Head pubs). The name of the shop was F.W Towle. My neighbour still has a paper bag bearing the following writing, "F.W Towle, Fresh Fish Every Day".

I have made it my mission in life to obtain a photograph of the shop frontage, which I know will bring back so many memories for her!!

And thus we have the question - Is there a knowledgeable forum member that can point me to possible sources, or are even aware of photographs of this location.

Apologies if I have rambled on, and breached any forum rules.

Regards

Anthony  

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Dear All   First chance to get on line to see the responses to my very first post. Wow!! What a turn out. I have assumed that the 'Reply to this topic' button will reach all respondents

A couple of years ago I was in contact with Kate Turner, thanks to RobL putting us in touch.  I of course do remember Kate from almost 50 years ago, she’s the big sister of my old boyfriend John Aslin

my maiden name was Tivey, Mr and Mrs Tivey who lived on standhill road  were my fathers grandparents. He was given away as a baby by his parents, Charles Tivey and Lilian Boothe., and lived with his g

Posted Images

Welcome to you Anthony, there are a few Nottstalgians (CliffTon is yer man usually) who may be able to help with photos and info for you and your neighbour. Best of luck.  

• Like 1

Lizzie you beat me to it, I was going to say Cliff Ton. 

Welcome Anthony, there are quite a few nostalgians who are interested in family history, me included, although not from Nottingham.

Whatever you want to to ask, just ask there is bound to be someone who knows. Enjoy NS and keep posting, we are all a nosey bunch and love to hear what everyone is doing.:rolleyes:

Welcome to NS, Anthony. You are among addicted genealogists here!  I, personally, know little about the area you are researching but I'm certain there are members whose knowledge can assist you.

Good luck...and what an opportunity to record the memories of your neighbour. If only more would do so.

Welcome Anthony.  As you've probably discovered, that stretch of road which was known as Main Street, Carlton is now named Burton Road, which makes things more complicated.

For those who don't know the area, this is the bike shop which you believe is the later incarnation of the building. Even this appears to have been derelict for a long time.

RaY83Gk.jpg

Are you on Facebook ?  There's a group named 'Gedling Village Preservation Society' which, despite its name, also covers the area you are interested in. If you posted your query on there, you may get someone who remembers the original fish shop - and even has a photo of it.

Cliff Ton beat me to it :) Just downloaded the same photo !

There was a re-numbering and this more recently was 27 Burton Rd

My grandparents lived round the corner in Park Rd . In my dim and distant past I seem to remember in the 50s , this being called Amie's chip shop but may be wrong.

Another opportunity to show these Carlton Grannies from the late 40s that your neighnour may remember . Some names are Hart , Haslem , Daykin and Tivey .

9017666279_78d9072270_b.jpg

Dear All

First chance to get on line to see the responses to my very first post. Wow!! What a turn out.

I have assumed that the 'Reply to this topic' button will reach all respondents - if not pass it on. I want to respond to everybody, so apologise to all, if I am breaking forum etiquette.

Lizzie - thanks for answering the call. Nottsatalgians is a new word for me. I guess I'm one of them without knowing!!

Jonab - Born and bred in Nottingham, and a returnee. I have heard your question asked many times over the years..... its a great opportunity to strike up a conversation with a stranger, and you started the conversation. PS - I'm better looking than Errol Flynn!!

nonna B - It seems Cliff Ton is the Man!! I've been watching NS from afar - a great source for map and photo links..... that's another project!!

Jill - Judging from the responses, there is plenty of knowledge here to 'tap into'.

Cliff Ton - Up until now I wasn't aware of the street name change. When I say 'now', my neighbour told me on Monday, so she beat you to it!! Her memory is amazing. Thanks for the photo. Yes I have driven past this derelict shop daily. I'm going to Wilko's tomorrow so will double check the location. If I am right this shop is now a Gentleman's Barbers.

Thanks for the Facebook suggestion. I will definately check out the GVPS.

David W - Thanks for the memories. I will ask my neighbour if she has any recollections of the shop name.

Great charabang photo (Ok, its a bus) but charabang sound better!! I shall show my neighbour the photo and names. You never know, she was born in 1928, so would be a teenager at the time of the photo.

I'm a bit of a story teller!!

Next Episode - The Invite.

I've invited my neighbour round to sit by me, while i am on the computer doing her family tree searches. I know that will elicit more faded memories coming to the fore. I said, "Do you fancy tea, cucumber sandwiches and biscuits". "No thanks you", she replied, "just hot water". She's bringing her own herbal tea bags!!

I may even ask her to ask my new knowledgeable friends a question, so get your thinking caps on!!

Sorry to go on......

Regards

Anthony

• Like 5

Anthony here....

With regards to Main Street....I had breakfast this morning at the cafe in Carlton Square shopping precinct (you know...the cafe next to Boots). Anyway the cafe was empty, and a young lady came in and asked to sit opposite me - I of course obliged!!!

I struck up a conversation by asking if she came to the cafe regularly. The lady mentioned said she has sat at the same table for years, and was born and bred in Carlton. I asked Barbara if it would be too rude to ask her age (I am a gentleman), she said that she was 88 years old. My thought process went into overdrive at hearing this.

Well you know me with stories......The story of Vi, and her Dad's Fish and Chip Shop etc. When I had a breather, Barbara said she remembers Aslam's Butchers, and then rattled off the names of all the other shops on Main Street. Well I normally have my pocket note book, but this morning I must have had a brain-freeze (a bit like the weather!!) - no note book.

Not to worry..... I'm meeting Barbara for breakfast tomorrow on the same table (got to be there earlier.... she's having her hair done at 11:00!!). It's my treat.... 2 egg on toast and mushrooms and a cup of tea.

Cliff Ton

This has probably been done already, and in any case, you could get the same info from a Directory, but my project for tomorrow is to identify as many shops with Barbara on a map.

Can you provide me with a link to a large enough scale map that I can print and identify shops with Barbara over breakfast?

During our conversation Barbara mentioned her school, named her Headmaster and other useful titbits. With this in mind, I would be receptive of any requests for questions for me to ask of Barbara. I will of course advise her of this Forum, the reason for the questions and from whom they have come from beforehand.

Anthony

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Anthony, Clifton very kindly put me on the right track for old maps, an excellent resource  :-

old-maps.co.uk

Took some getting used to, but I look at them regularly now, thanks again, Clifton.

Anthony, you don't need to pay anything. Just use the Map Search and put in the modern postcode for the street/area you're looking for. You'll be presented with all maps going back to the 19th century for that area. Just click on any and you're away. The available maps vary quite a bit in detail and you can only zoom in so far, unless you want to subscribe. However, I find for most, you can drill down more than enough to find a really good level of detail. A great free resource!

Re the photo above, my grandma was a Daykin before she married a Brooks. I also think that the Tivey’s were connected to the Daykins or Brooks’s.

I have very vague memories from years ago that that shop was was owned by a man called Rex who also married one of the Daykins (Rose?) and that it sold electrical bits and bobs.

However, I could be completely wrong! I really need to research that side of the family.

Anthony here....

Hi TBI, thanks for the tip. I will revisit Old-Maps later this evening - got to respond to loads of messages on the Gedling Village Preservation Society Facebook page tonight.

It's gone barmy today!!! Cliff Ton - thanks for the link.

Funnily, Vi gave me some books on Monday to read, one of which, "Turning Back the Pages of Old Carlton"  has good maps on the inside covers. The front inside has Carlton 1914, unfortunately the edge of the map stops short of Dr Parks Corner. Cliff Ton - do have this map in your collection?

The rear inside cover is a map of Carlton 1955 (smaller scale than the 1914 map). I'll try and zoom in on this one. Photograph both and print ready for tomorrow if needed......

Anthony 

Anthony here....

AfferGorritt

The Tivey name keeps cropping up in messages. Firstly from Cliff Ton, secondly a Tivey has just joined GVPS and thirdly from you.

I last spoke to Vi on Monday and when I mentioned the name Tivey, she said that Mr & Mrs Tivey lived next door to her on Standhill Road. She only knew the parents as Mr & Mrs Tivey (as she was young), but was friends with their children, Harry & Ida. Ida had a son called Fred.

Anthony

• Like 1

As an aside, I noticed a reply on the GVPS Facebook post that the shop next door used to be a butchers shop owned by John Aslin. His son, Jack, was a good friend of my dad, and Jack’s son, John, was at one time a very good friend of our own LizzieM.

The world gets smaller every day!

• Upvote 1
9 minutes ago, Rob.L said:

As an aside, I noticed a reply on the GVPS Facebook post that the shop next door used to be a butchers shop owned by John Aslin. His son, Jack, was a good friend of my dad, and Jack’s son, John, was at one time a very good friend of our own LizzieM.

The world gets smaller every day!

Ah, I didn’t know all that Rob, thankyou.  Yes, Johnnie Aslin was a special person to me.  God rest his soul.  

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Anthony here....

Rob L - Thanks for the extra names. I will mention Jack Aslin and his son, John, to both Vi and Barbara to see If they personally knew them.

I've just had a another look in the book that Vi gave me to read. On page 23 there is a photo of John Aslin (senior) and the caption reads;

"Mr Aslin, 1920's -  John Aslin was a Carlton butcher with a tiny shop on Main Street. In this photograph he is feeding birds in an orchard believed to be at the top of Carlisle Road. When he died his daughter Nellie, who worked with him, ran the shop. The shop is now disused and boarded-up, and Nelly has retired to Hucknall".

Nelly is another name for me to mention to my lovely young ladies.....

It looks like Cliff Ton has abandoned me regarding the maps....I will have to improvise!!

Finally one last question....I have noticed that a lot of streetviews posted on the Forum are also reproduced in this book and others. We does one stand with regards to copyright? Short answers on a postcard please!!!

Anthony

That Carlisle Rd address fits with the 1939 Register . John Aslin , butcher and (presume) his wife Susan are living at the home of Ellen Syddall (Nellie?) at number 20 .

• Like 1

Anthony here....

David W, thanks for looking at the register, and the new names. I feel like I'm getting to know John and his family now.

I asked my sister to post a message on the GVPS Facebook page (I don't do Facebook!!) regarding 620 Main Street Carlton. Here are two responses from Kate Turner who resides in New Zealand:

"My grandad, John Aslin, had a butcher's shop near Towle's cycle shop, i think. I'm 81 now and remember sitting in the little sitting room behind the shop when Dad took me to visit. I wonder if your neighbour remembers my grandad? My aunty Nelly (Sydall) helped grandad in the shop and took it over when he died. None of the 3 brothers (including my dad) were interested which is why Aunty Nelly helped and eventually ran the shop herself which was probably unusual for a woman to do in those days?"

Followed by:

"I've lived in New Zealand since 1976 so i really appreciate and enjoy this group and two others I'm in, Nottingham Way Back When and Nottingham in the Owd Days. Look forward to hearing more - and it's so nice that you're helping your neighbour."

I have asked my Sister to post the photo of John Aslin, and am looking forward to Kate's response.

I've started my day with a good deed - hopefully I can do more after meeting Barbara this morning. I'm having a full breakfast, Barbara will have her egg on toast.

Finally, when I spoke to Barbara yeaterday, I asked why she didn't have any bacon on her plate. She said "I love bacon but can't eat it now". I said why... she said, "They've taken all my teeth out.".... Bless her.

Anthony

Just for the record , I posted this on the Gedling page . 

These are some names and addresses using the old street numbering of that section of Main Street/ (now Burton Road) .

Info from news archives and the 1939 Register .

612 Main Street was the Blacks Head , Alfred Lee , Licensee .in 1939

620 Main Street Robert Price Fish and Chips in 1939

622 Main Street , Harry Dakin , butcher  in 1922

622, Main-street. Carlton,, John Aslin Butcher. 1929

624. MAIN STREET EAST. CARLTON. YORK HOUSE.** in 1939
Samuel ? Elvidge  Phrenologist  
Madge Bradford   Music Teacher Retired

• Like 1
18 hours ago, Anthony Hood said:

Just went onto Old-Maps, chose...OS County Series, Nottinghamshire 1:10,560 (1920), added to cart... how much...£11. That's £11 to much.

I was hoping to pay nowt!!!!

Cliff Ton - HELP!!

What exactly did you want from Old Maps ?   As TBI mentioned, there are a number of websites where you can look at old maps, without having to spend any money.   (and if you haven't noticed yet,  I've sent you a PM on the subject)