This is the area in question in the 1920s. The road then was called Main Street East, but is now Burton Road. The two pubs are reference points and they both still exist. Carlton Square is on the left where the GP and PO are marked.

DdvxBTp.jpg

• Like 3
  • Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Dear All   First chance to get on line to see the responses to my very first post. Wow!! What a turn out. I have assumed that the 'Reply to this topic' button will reach all respondents

A couple of years ago I was in contact with Kate Turner, thanks to RobL putting us in touch.  I of course do remember Kate from almost 50 years ago, she’s the big sister of my old boyfriend John Aslin

my maiden name was Tivey, Mr and Mrs Tivey who lived on standhill road  were my fathers grandparents. He was given away as a baby by his parents, Charles Tivey and Lilian Boothe., and lived with his g

Posted Images

Anthony here....

Hi Cliff Ton

Thanks for the PM (replied to), and your previous post.....

This map is just what I wanted - with individual building clearly marked. Very much appreciated. Can you please provide the date of said map. It looks circa 1940-50???

I did read a previous post (i can't find it now), as to when the Main Street became Burton Road (to the east) and Carlton Hill (to the west). Just for my delectation can you please advise you best guess for the change of road names?

To all

Finally, (for this post). I have also read about grumble's regarding long posts of previous forum members..... I am a story teller, cant help it - that's me (its called enthusiasm!!). If you want me to reduce the size of my posts, feel free to PM me. Constructive criticism is most welcome....

Anthony

18 minutes ago, Anthony Hood said:

This map is just what I wanted - with individual building clearly marked. Very much appreciated. Can you please provide the date of said map. It looks circa 1940-50???

That map is around 1920.

This is from the 50s and shows the change in the name of the road; but it also gives the building numbers after the name change, so what was 620+ has now become 19 - 23 etc.

a0mN7VB.jpg

• Like 1

Anthony here....

Hi Cliff Ton

Great stuff - just what I need for a comparison.

Thanks for to the 'heads-up' regarding GVPS..... as you can see, I'm having a great conversation (via my sister) with others.

Similarly DW - thanks for posting names/addresses from the 1939 Register..... Not heard of this resource. Can you give me its full title?

Finally.... for now. I have a number of Directories on CD, and am available for look-ups in the following for Notts:

C. N Wright Directory 1854

F. White Directory 1864

C. N Wright Directory 1902

Kelly's Directory 1912

The following is also a great resource for Kelly's Directories:

http://specialcollections.le.ac.uk/digital/collection/p16445coll4

Anthony here....

I had breakfast with Barbara yesterday.... she was waiting for me at the cafe. I got told off for being late (we didn't actually mention a time, just that she would be there earlier than the day before!!).

I had planned to talk about shops on Main Street, however I put a copy of "Turning Back the Pages in... Old Carlton"in front of Barbara, and that became the focus of our conversation. Here are some snippets from Barbara's recollections, based on the photo's in the mentioned publication.

Page 2 - photo of Carlton Fire Brigade c1890 - Barbara's grandad, William Hayes (her father was Jack Hatcliffe) was a fireman with the brigade she couldn't identify him in the photo (the photo is too blurred). Barbara was born in one of the Firemen's Houses next to Carlton Fire Station.

Page 3 - photo of Carlton Boards School - Barbara attended this school (infants and junior). The Headmaster's name was Nobby Green at the time. That's got to be a nickname!!

Page 5 - photo of girls dancing at Station Road School - Barbara looked for herself in this photo...again to no avail. The Headmistress was Miss Plackett, and some of the teachers were Doris Stanley, Nora Gateley and Miss Dennis.

Page 8 - photo of Chandos Street School class - Barbara's brothers, Roy and John attended, Barbara and her sisters, Maureen and Jean attended Station Road Girls School.  

Page 9 - Mrs Stainforth also taught at Station Road School.

Page 10 - St Paul' Church - Barbara was visited by Mr Young the Verger to plan her marriage to Robert Palmer in 1957.

Page 11 - Photo of St Paul's bible class - The Reverend Fisher Ferguson performed Barbara's nuptial's at her wedding.

Page 17 - Photo of Enginemen's Roster, Colwick Loco Works - unfortunately Barbara's dads name is not there.... Might have had the day off!!! 

Flicking through my notes now...nearly finished.

Page 30/31 - Photo of VE Day party. Barbara was adamant that the party photo was taken on Park Road, not Park Avenue as stated in the publication.

Page 41 - Photo of The Royal Oak (now Inn for a Penny) - Barbara's local (hic)!!!!! The landlord and landlady were Sydney & Peggy Duncan.

Page 43 - Photo of Jack Leaper - Jack was Barbara's mum's next door neighbour.

Page 45 - Photo of Carlton Athletic Football Club, 1927... The text reads.."Among the supporters was a Mrs Etches, who was well known for attacking players of the opposing team with her umbrella if they fouled a Carlton lad". Barbara said Mrs Etches (Emma), was her grandmothers' auntie. Emma Etches nickname was "Nor Nor". When I asked why, Barbara said that Emma had an operation on her nose that went 'wrong', and that affected her speech. What a snippet......

Sorry bout the length... bullet points don't do it for me when taking about history!!

Anthony  

Anthony here....

Before Barbara left to go to and get her hair done, I asked her if I could share her memories.... she said yes.

I said, "Get your 'think cap' on on Monday", as I will bring Yesterday's Nottingham Series - 'Carlton, Netherfield & Colwick On Old Picture Postcards' for her to look at.

Finally, I asked Barbara if she has any old photo's, she said yes and would bring some in..... hopefully with her permission, I will be able to post some. I keep seeing the same photos on the internet of Carlton, so there might be some 'gems' in Barbara's albums that need sharing.

I said, "Breakfast is on me all next week".... Yes I know it's bribery but it's for a good cause.... Barbara accepted my offer!!

Anthony

Must say Anthony you are doing a stirling job quizzing these old ladies :)

The mention of the VE party on Park Road reminded me of this thread from a few years ago , started with a couple of my late mums photos . I always thought the two street party pics were on Park Road but (with help here) it was determined it was actually held on Elm Avenue which is just off Park Rd .

Not sure what photo is in the book you saw but there is a Park Avenue? photo of the same celebration but that one is up by Redland Grove .

Also if you scroll on the pages of the same thread your friend Vi might be interested in the Standhill Rd pics for the Queen's Jubilee .

https://nottstalgia.com/forums/topic/10635-out-of-the-shoebox-photos/

Edit : Can't seem to remove the error notice below !

Anthony here....

Hi DavidW

Yep I've got a way with the ladies of a certain age.... Funny that, I've always had bad luck with the younger ladies in my life... ho, hum!!!

Thanks for the info regarding VE Day, and the Standhill Road Queens Jubillee link. Can't look at them yet.....got to prize myself from the computer, and go shopping otherwise no din-dins tomorrow.

Laters.....Anthony

1 hour ago, DAVIDW said:

Must say Anthony you are doing a stirling job quizzing these old ladies :)

He certainly is and thank goodness someone is doing it. I've spent half my life extracting memories from my elders.  I'm thinking of persuading Ben to write a book but I suspect it would put Lady Chatterley in the shade.  Make DH Lawrrence look like a boy scout!

• Like 1

Anthony just realised I had that book  "Turning Back the Pages in... Old Carlton" and the VE photo is Park Avenue near Redland Grove . It also appeared in a newspaper of the time . Those houses are a bit posher than Park Road :) 

This is my mum at what I assume is the back of the houses on Park Road  , must be early 1920s

6339276421_0625349ffe_b.jpg

Anthony here....

Just got back from shopping..... never fear... I wont starve!!

Jill

If your referring to Benjamin1945 as being a lonely soul, devoid of female companionship....then yes I have been a able apprentice!!

Yep, unlucky in love.....Is there a Dear Deardrie page on the site??

And, thanks for the positive message.

DavidW

Thanks for confirmation of the VE Day party location - I will gently put Barbara right on Monday.

Not sure if you take after your Mum - your photo is too small to see....

Anthony 

This is a better pic of that Park Avenue photo . Not sure what the kid with 2 black eyes is supposed to be :)

01A6S2BV?imageId=4236967&imageCode=01A6S

• Like 1
On 2/1/2019 at 5:02 AM, Anthony Hood said:

Anthony here....

David W, thanks for looking at the register, and the new names. I feel like I'm getting to know John and his family now.

I asked my sister to post a message on the GVPS Facebook page (I don't do Facebook!!) regarding 620 Main Street Carlton. Here are two responses from Kate Turner who resides in New Zealand:

"My grandad, John Aslin, had a butcher's shop near Towle's cycle shop, i think. I'm 81 now and remember sitting in the little sitting room behind the shop when Dad took me to visit. I wonder if your neighbour remembers my grandad? My aunty Nelly (Sydall) helped grandad in the shop and took it over when he died. None of the 3 brothers (including my dad) were interested which is why Aunty Nelly helped and eventually ran the shop herself which was probably unusual for a woman to do in those days?"

Followed by:

"I've lived in New Zealand since 1976 so i really appreciate and enjoy this group and two others I'm in, Nottingham Way Back When and Nottingham in the Owd Days. Look forward to hearing more - and it's so nice that you're helping your neighbour.

A couple of years ago I was in contact with Kate Turner, thanks to RobL putting us in touch.  I of course do remember Kate from almost 50 years ago, she’s the big sister of my old boyfriend John Aslin Jnr.  

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3
On 2/2/2019 at 2:26 PM, DAVIDW said:

This is a better pic of that Park Avenue photo . Not sure what the kid with 2 black eyes is supposed to be :)

01A6S2BV?imageId=4236967&imageCode=01A6S

Anthony here....

Just trying this quote button for the first time......

David - i've looked at the very same photo half a dozen times, and never noticed the black eyes!!!

• Like 1

Anthony here....

My latest visit to Vi was on Saturday......what an amazing afternoon spent with an amazing lady!!

I promise to not ramble, and will try to keep this as short as possible.

My 3-hour visit started by my reading all the comments posted by me to you, and your subsequent replies. Similarly for the GVPS comments. That took 90-mins!!!! So be careful what you say - you don't want to upset a 90-year old!!!

The next 30-mins with Vi was spent with her looking at the "Turning back the Pages in .....Old Carlton", and me providing commentary to Vi from my notes with Barbara. Vi mostly agreed with Barbara's recollections, if they shared the same recollections.

One of the comments that did interest me was Vi's agreement with Barbara regarding the location of the VE Day Party on Park Avenue.... both Vi and Barbara are in agreement that photo was taken on Park Road. Vi said she could tell "by the looking at the houses"!!...... There is only one way to resolve this..that is to look at a map circa 1945 and compare the house 'footprints' versus those visible in the photo.

More to follow....

Anthony

At the risk of going wildly off-topic, and as I knew both of them, John Aslin and Ray Booty competed in very different versions of cycle sport. Ray was a time-triallist, competing only against the clock over distances from 25 miles to 12 hours, while John was involved more in road racing, like the Tour of Britain, which was more “savage” and elbow to elbow.

Anthony here....

My last hour with Vi on Saturday was looking through her photo album and postcard album....I think I have struck the mother load!! The albums were given to Vi by her mother, (b.1888, d.1975)... now that literally was a 'turning back the pages of time'.

I'll skip Vi's family photo's for the time being....just wanted to tell you about the postcards. I would say that there are about 200no.

I took a couple of photos of one's that might interest our bus and tram enthusiast's...

Vi said that the postcard shows the No8 tram, which she said last ran in 1932. I recognised the Nags Head and the Catholic church in the background.

943249677_Carltontramresized.jpg.dfcf7a622a3d1418e6719ac9cadb348f.jpg

• Like 2

Anthony here....

I had in my mind two sets of tram lines (one for each direction of travel!!). Silly me.... it set makes sense....why double the infrastructure!!!

Well I know there was a 'turning head' at Carlton Square...There must have been a 'passing point' on Main Street West ie up the hill. Can someone advise where take location was?

If there was a single line, then what was the interval between buses travelling in the same direction??

Anthony