Don't you make your private correspondence available for the world to read, Phil?  Everyone's desperately interested in other people's business aren't they? Isn't that what the internet is for? Or have I got it wrong? :blink:

27 minutes ago, Jill Sparrow said:

Don't you make your private correspondence available for the world to read, Phil?  Everyone's desperately interested in other people's business aren't they? Isn't that what the internet is for? Or have I got it wrong? :blink:

She’s out for the money. Can’t blame her. These opportunities don’t come along everyday. 

• Upvote 1

He didn't have to do much in the end though? Some press aide will have thought up what to say, typed it and got Phil to top and tail. You can just hear them saying.... and Sir, please make sure you just sign it Philip and not His bloody Royal Highness Prince Philip, Duke of Edinburgh, Knight of the Garter etc ...ouch Sir

• Like 1

Sorry I don’t. A letter of apology doesn’t make any difference he was to blame. The woman with the broken arm did a tv interview and she said it was cloudy not sunny so someone is wrong. Bet I can guess in one who will be believed.

I’m sure there were reliable witnesses who were there at the time and will be called if a case of ‘driving without due care and attention’ comes to court. The woman who has suffered the most inconvenience, the driver of the Kia, has kept very quiet to her credit. The possible speed of the Kia at impact may have been extracted from the car’s ecu. It must have been bowling along to have flipped the Duke’s Landrover. I think it will be difficult to sweep all the evidence under the carpet. Perhaps there will be more interesting revelations to come.

Whether Prince Philip was in the wrong or not I really don’t think it appropriate for this woman to be selling the letter (or story) to a rag newspaper, or any other newspaper.  There should be more discretion.  He didn’t ought to be still driving at 97 years of age but that’s another matter.  

On a personal note, my father was driving until he was 90.  The ‘crunch’ came when he reversed out of his drive and backed into a car parked across the road.  All damage was covered by his insurance and when his car was returned from the repairers we put it into his garage and that’s where it stayed for another 18 months until his death ........ because he wasn’t able to open the garage door!  

• Upvote 1
6 hours ago, Enigma. said:

skynews-prince-philip-royal-family-45587

Why did he not send an e-mail? if you read between the line's the letter is all about the duke, next day he was out again in a new Land Rover what about the lady, her car is probably still in the garage, I rest my case.

Mary, an email is no substitute for a well-worded letter on official writing paper.  I would think that the car involved in the collision is already being repaired or replaced by the Palace, that woman will not be the loser in this instance, unlike some unfortunates who are involved in similar accidents only to find that the other driver is uninsured. 

• Like 5
  • Upvote 1

I know the road where the crash happened very well,,from my days working and living in East Anglia........out of interest the Sun appears to set in the north east there,, and this time of the year is obviously very low,, not making excuses for anyone,,but it must be hard to admit your driving days are over.

I know my time will come fairly soon,,iv'e lost the enjoyment of driving and wouldn't miss it,, so long as places i need/want to go are within reasonable walking distance,,,must move nearer Bulwell lol............but can't imagine poor old Phillip walking to Dersingham for a bottle of milk. and a packet of Fags......lol

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

I'm with you on the driving, Ben.  I don't enjoy it like I once did.  It's just a means to get from A to B.  Living where we do, its the only way to get to shops, doctors etc.  There are no buses out here and I'm not aware of any taxis.  I'm not a good passenger either.

Mrs. L is always offering to drive me places.  I won't let her.  :biggrin:  I don't know about you lot, but when I was a young man it was unthinkable to have a wife or girlfriend drive you around, even if they could.

I don't know what we will do, but this latest health issue has made me realize that I won't be able to take care of an acre of land much longer.  Probably have to move to a senior living type place andI don't relish that.

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, loppylugs said:

don't know about you lot, but when I was a young man it was unthinkable to have a wife or girlfriend drive you around, even if they could.

That's probably Philip's rationale. Too stubborn to ask HMQ to run him about!

Well, that's me in The Tower for the foreseeable future! :wacko:

• Like 1

I too don't enjoy driving like I used to. When I worked for a living, it was 50 miles to work and the same home. Used to put in many thousands of miles touring during holidays too, enjoyed every minute of it, now it's a chore.

Takes me about ten minutes to get the legs working after a 30 mile drive!! Still it gives the wife a rest.

• Like 1
4 minutes ago, Jill Sparrow said:

That's probably Philip's rationale. Too stubborn to ask HMQ to run him about!

Well, that's me in The Tower for the foreseeable future! :wacko:

Maybe she's already quit driving, Jill.

Anyway, don't the royals have chauffers to run 'em around in a Rolls?

Lots of similarities there Loppy,,,    I really don't enjoy driving anymore,,mostly because of the volume of traffic everywhere,,,Wife hardly ever drove me anywhere,,but since my recent probs she does often do the driving,,same with my Daughter,,.

Must admit never enjoyed any of my sons being the driver,,and avoid it as much as possible,,

Haven't actually got what you would call land,,just a smallish Garden,,but have largely lost interest and certainly have no desire to ever 'dig' again,,my aim is to get an Apartment (ok flat) in the right area,,have looked at some but they made me feel old,,and not quite ready for just sitting on the Porch,, hard to tell what i really want,,suppose age will take over and i'll have to accept it,,and i dread that.........so gonna keep dressing in my style and getting out and about......using my new voice and having Banter,especially with older females,,probably get locked up in the end..........''3rd floor Glass and China........certainly Madam..........lol

• Like 2

I'm on your wavelength Ben.

I was just telling mrs. L about this thread.  I wish I hadn't.   Lol.  Brought out all the stuff about her driving  me again.   I can still drive safely right now,  When the day comes that I need to hand over my keys, I'll deal  withit    Any discussion now can lead to hurt feelings and raised BP so why bother?

I suppose the real problem comes when we don't realize we are not safe anymore.

When we were living in Canada my late wife got a phone call from her mom's neighbor across the street.  He said, your mum backs out of the garage with the engine racing on choke.  If her foot ever slips off the  clutch she's going to end up in my front room.   Can you come over and persuade her to give up driving before somebody gets hurt.   Long story short, my wife did persuade her to give up.

It's a tough topic for us as we age.

• Like 1