Dear All

With regards to the memories of Vi, she told me that she attended the Standhill Road Junior School, which is now Porchester Junior School. The original building is still in use, and is situated on the corner of Standhill Road and Morley Road, Carlton.

My next assignment is to obtain old photos of the school, hopefully class photos circa 1935-1940. a) Vi might be on a photo, b) if not, maybe some former friends. Just checked a few websites, have drawn a blank so far!! It looks like I might need to delve into somebodies private collection - if I can find that somebody!!! I might even whizz down to Nottm Archives tomorrow to see if they have a file and records pertaining to the school.

When I go on the school run tomorrow, I will speak to the Headmaster for info too, as I noted that there are some old photo's on the reception wall.

Wow - just thought of something else. Get the kids involved to. If Vi is up for it we could do a presentation to the classes, so that she could provide her memories from 80-years ago to the current crop of kids. I think the Headmaster might go for that too!!

Anthony

• Like 1

Anthony here....

I went to Nottingham Archives yesterday to look for any Standhill Road Junior School records that had been deposited. Wow things have changed since the last time I visited 20-years ago... Having searched the Schools Admission and Log Book indexes, I asked the Archivist questions about access to the records. Although he was very helpful I came out empty handed, other than a list of documents I wanted to view.

I was advised that due to 'Data Protection' laws, I couldn't view any records that had names on them until 100-years had lapsed (same as census records)!! I've got to e-mail the Archive to ask  them to search for me (got to pay for this). I don't mind paying (anything for Vi). The last time I searched for School Admissions, I walked out with the list of all pupils enrolling in Peveril for my year (inc loads of over info - previous Junior school, addresses, parents names etc. It seems the Government want to lock away info, as if it "Top Secret"!!

The search goes on.........

Anthony 

Many years ago, I asked to see the admissions book for The Gordon Boys' Home in Nottingham. The archivist said it was locked until some date in the far distant future but she could search for me. That was free. However, I had to prove I was related to Thomas William Sparrow, my great uncle, who was admitted there as a child. The information was retrieved from the bowels of the earth and was worth having.

Anthony here....

I spoke to Vi yesterday at her weekly church coffee morning about old school photo's, (in a roundabout way), without letting on as to what I was doing. I like to keep surprising her!!

As is always the case, her photo's disappeared years ago. The same as my school photos (my brother threw them out when he cleared my Mum's house. If I was in Nottingham at the time, I would have given him a 'black eye' for doing it. He had no interest in history - what a Philistine!! Anyway I digress...

I spoke to another person during coffee, only to find, he too went to Standhill Road School too - I think he's 95 years old. He said he will look for his old photos.

I have asked Vi and her friend to write down half a dozen anecdotes from their school days, so that I can present the same to the current Headmaster, with a view to sharing the stories with the current crop of pupils (my nephew included). I want to bring 'living history' to the kids.

Anthony

• Like 1

Anthony here....

......Not even the government and their dreaded data protection laws.

I did say to the Archivist that I would bring Vi to the Archive to confirm she is who I say she is!! To no avail - if there are other names on the documents - no can see!!!

Sing along - "Ain't no stopping me now, I'm in the groove...."

Anthony