Sign in to follow this  
Mess

Kelly's Directory of Nottingham 1956

Does anyone on here have access to a copy of the above please?

I'm researching my childhood home in Elstree Drive Beechdale where I grew up 1950-61 and am compiling a list of the residents during the time I lived there.

Elstree Drive is at the bottom of Hollington Rd and Wigman Rd. The Nottingham to Sheffield railway runs close by as did the Nottingham Canal. A fantastic playground for a youngster growing up there in the 1950s

If I draw a blank I'll have to jump in the motor and visit the Central Library/Archives they're bound to have a copy.

I see Amazon listed it on CD but it's now gone out of stock.

• Like 1

Thanks Ian,

Some of the older directories are available but I can't track down the 1956 edition. Any from the 50s would do.

• Like 1

Hello Mess,

This is my first post, so hope this is ok.

Fred & Irene Richardson lived at 75 from their marriage in 1939 (when the houses were built) to 2001. Also their daughters Jean & Angela. I'm Caroline, Jean's daughter & I lived there from 1965-71. I agree, it was a great place to be, everyone was so friendly. We used to walk up Woodyard Lane to Wollaton Park & also wave at train drivers from the tin bridge! I can remember walking along the canal, but it was pretty much derelict by then.

Next door 77 was Alan & Ivy Watson & their children, Ann & Stephen. The Silkstones lived at 73. There was also a Bertie Rivers at possibly 81 & the Kemps on the corner.

Hope this is some help.

• Like 1

On 2/8/2019 at 8:41 PM, Callie said:

Hello Mess,

This is my first post, so hope this is ok.

Fred & Irene Richardson lived at 75 from their marriage in 1939 (when the houses were built) to 2001. Also their daughters Jean & Angela. I'm Caroline, Jean's daughter & I lived there from 1965-71. I agree, it was a great place to be, everyone was so friendly. We used to walk up Woodyard Lane to Wollaton Park & also wave at train drivers from the tin bridge! I can remember walking along the canal, but it was pretty much derelict by then.

Next door 77 was Alan & Ivy Watson & their children, Ann & Stephen. The Silkstones lived at 73. There was also a Bertie Rivers at possibly 81 & the Kemps on the corner.

Hope this is some help.

Hi Callie,

I hope you, your mum Jean and Aunt Angela are well.

It's been quite a while since we were in touch. My wife and I are both retired now and get involved with all sorts of things together which is why it's taken me a while to spot your reply.

I'm slowly pulling together the names of the residents of Elstree Drive in the 50s and have been in touch with one or two.

I was at school with the Kemps and have exchanged a few emails with Phillip who now lives in Sherwood. His younger brother John is on FB as is his older sister Lynda (now Spencer). Roger Staines (No 45) and his older sister Mary are also on FB.

I don't suppose you remember Derek Gaczol. He lived in the corner house that backed onto the Wigman Rd roundabout. His dad was Polish and was a Spitfire pilot in WWII. Derek died a few years back but used to post on here as dgbrit. He moved to California and was a dog breeder.

The "Growing up in Bilborough" thread (https://nottstalgia.com/forums/topic/11421-growing-up-in-bilborough/) is a brilliant read. It contains one or two posts from Derek and there's stuff about the disused canal, railway line and tin bridge.