Sign in to follow this  
Mess

Kelly's Directory of Nottingham 1956

Does anyone on here have access to a copy of the above please?

I'm researching my childhood home in Elstree Drive Beechdale where I grew up 1950-61 and am compiling a list of the residents during the time I lived there.

Elstree Drive is at the bottom of Hollington Rd and Wigman Rd. The Nottingham to Sheffield railway runs close by as did the Nottingham Canal. A fantastic playground for a youngster growing up there in the 1950s

If I draw a blank I'll have to jump in the motor and visit the Central Library/Archives they're bound to have a copy.

I see Amazon listed it on CD but it's now gone out of stock.

• Like 1

Mess..some..or most of it is online..type it in..see what comes up.

Ian.

• Like 1

Thanks Ian,

Some of the older directories are available but I can't track down the 1956 edition. Any from the 50s would do.

• Like 1

Hello Mess,

This is my first post, so hope this is ok.

Fred & Irene Richardson lived at 75 from their marriage in 1939 (when the houses were built) to 2001. Also their daughters Jean & Angela. I'm Caroline, Jean's daughter & I lived there from 1965-71. I agree, it was a great place to be, everyone was so friendly. We used to walk up Woodyard Lane to Wollaton Park & also wave at train drivers from the tin bridge! I can remember walking along the canal, but it was pretty much derelict by then.

Next door 77 was Alan & Ivy Watson & their children, Ann & Stephen. The Silkstones lived at 73. There was also a Bertie Rivers at possibly 81 & the Kemps on the corner.

Hope this is some help.

• Like 1