People say "no one builds slums" and we've probably all heard of the resettled miner bringing loads of coal in the removal van and telling the men to put it in the bath, also the rag and bone man who kept his horse in the downstairs bathroom but who in their right mind thought people would enjoy living in the abortions that were Hyson Green, Basford and Balloon Woods Flats?

The architects won awards for that lot...go figure!

I'm still amazed they learned nothing from the tenements of New York and the Gorbals. You pack people together...you get antisocial behaviour...It appears that some architects just can't grasp historical facts.

In fact a large block of high density apartments was built in the 1880s in the same area as Basford Flats.It was demolished 20 years later because they couldn't let them,nobody wanted to live there even in Victorian times.Some architects and planners are on another planet.

• 1 year later...

I met him a couple of times and he seemed OK but didn't he run off with one of his parishioners? I would never blame anyone for leaving a dead marriage but it must be much harder for men of the cloth.

Like East Berlin on a bad day.It shows the calibre of our councillors who allowed this obscenity to be built.

Don`t forget to include all the wonderful buildings they pulled down. Isn`t JOCO something to do with the abomination in the once beautiful Trinity Square?

Don`t forget to include all the wonderful buildings they pulled down. Isn`t JOCO something to do with the abomination in the once beautiful Trinity Square?

I think you're opening a can of worms here. The appearance of Nottingham City centre and the immediate surrounding area is dreadful.

Total planning incompetence.

• 1 year later...

And now another burst of old pictures. A quick trawl through Picture the Past for photos of the streets which disappeared when the flats were built. Typical back-to-backs which could be anywhere. All taken in the early 1960s.

Forest Street.

6U69mwu.jpg

Lumley Street.

JVEHTBV.jpg

Sheraton Row and Hyson Passage.

S0q8jkG.jpg

Lindsay Street.

lj9eDrb.jpg

Cornhill Street.

MIryvT8.jpg

Lenton Street.

E9oJynH.jpg

It's debatable whether the flats were an improvement or not.

• Upvote 9

The person who designed them should have been made to live in them..............They were ugly just like the Basford flats............

stayed with my sister Olive, in the sixties, for a while she had a flat on hyson green, had to go down stairs to bed, she hated the place

The person who designed them should have been made to live in them..............They were ugly just like the Basford flats............

If my memory serves.....the architect won an award for them....he must have married the judges daughter.

• Upvote 2

What about Balloon Woods as well?? Never went inside but I had a friend who lived there, claimed it was OK once you were in your own flat....

Hyson Green flats were really grim, I lived nearby on Russell Road, but had many a good night in The Cricketers :)

• Upvote 1
  • 8 months later...
  • 1 year later...

My Father had a lock up shop on Hyson Green (HEBB,S JEWELLERS) opposite St Peters Church  I think? and almost opposite a shoe shop. On the next block was Hancocks Furniture shop a friend of dad,s. I believe his son Tony has a shop down the road now. 

We lived in a shop/house on Ilkeston Road,and when dad came home mother would ask him to take her to "the pictures" he would say he did not fancy the film. The reason being that he had ,locked his shop on Hyson Green in the afternoon due to lack of business and been to see the film . A friend of mum saw him leaving the cinema on one occasion.