Alreet people, im new to this nottstalgia but ive read the forum from afar a few times. basically what makes me post this is ive been reading the E.post for the last couple of days and theyve been doin a few articals on the hyson green riots in '81 and it mentions the hyson green flats area. now being born around the time the flats were demolished ive no clue as to what these look like, so i would be grateful if anyone has a spare few photos lying around that they could perhaps pop up here. or give me a link, whatever really. cheers in advance

I mus be gerrin Ode!

I remember playing on the waste land before those flats were built.

But what was there before the flats?

Welcome Cookiemonster

I remember playing on the waste land before those flats were built.

But what was there before the flats?

1921 OS map reveals much waste land between Noel Street and Radford Road, several wide Avenues/Terraces too.

The open spaces would suggest that the flats weren't built to replace 'slum clearance'.

The area north of Gregory Boulevard, towards Forest Fields, also surprisingly spacious.

Cheers

Robt P.

• 6 months later...

As an apprentice electrician, i helped rewire a beer off opposite the flats, , it was/ is on a corner,and owned by Shippos, and run by a youngish couple with a baby, damned if i can remember their name though! All i recall, is thinking how ugly the flats were, and that The Green, as most referred to it as, was a lot better before they were built.

• 3 years later...

Just come across this thread...brought back so many memories for me.....At the tender age of 20 my wife and I were given one of the maisonettes on Hyson Green, Ashburton Walk !!! Had about 3 years there and it was my daughters first home, (being born in the Firs while we lived there)...They were not too bad to start with but were overun with mice. But then came the Blues parties from the load of Black people that moved there, now these parties didnt just go on all night, they usually went on for a week, night and day...no sleep for anybody. One day I caught an Asian Guy backing into my parked car, I ran out after him and got the usual "Me no understand about insurance"..I went to the police and gave them his name and address and they came back and said his address was an office block somewhere in Forest Fields...Needless to say I had to pay for the damage myself. Luckily (sic)....we had our Son soon after and the council gave us a 3 bed house in Clifton...Life didnt get much better till I moved out to Newark 5 years later.......So glad they pulled them down, the rioting was mainly from the tower block there, I dont recall any trouble in the maisonettes which were incidently upside down, you used to go downstairs to bed which took some getting used to.

I thank God that I am now as far away as possible, never see any trouble or a policeman up here, life is so good.

Owdtite..... !englandflag! ...ps Mick, can we have a smiley waving a saltire please..(pretty please?)...lol

Just come across this thread...brought back so many memories for me.... the maisonettes which were incidently upside down, you used to go downstairs to bed which took some getting used to.

Now that brings back a few memories I'd forgotten about. My grandma lived in one of those in her later years; she was the first occupant in her particular place and as a young kid I was fascinated by the way they were laid out upside down. As you mentioned, you went in through the front door in a normal way to reach the living room and kitchen, and then went downstairs to the bedrooms and bathroom. My grandma moved into one of the first built blocks, but at that time the other blocks were still being built - so those early occupants were literally living on a building site. You could go along those concrete walkways which linked one area to another, and half way along you come up against steel fencing to stop you going any further because the next stage hadn't been built yet. I remember staring through those fences watching the builders doing their thing on the other blocks.

I don't suppose any of them expected that the whole lot would be demolished within 20 years

• 3 weeks later...

Not having a dig but isn't it funny how everyone was the first in this or that place, block of flats, estate etc? my wife says that re basford flats!

It's things like that which make you realise how old you are now. :cool:

I guess quite a few people on this forum are of a similar age where their grandparents would've been 60/70 years old around the late 1960s.

We'll all be reaching that age before long

yes alot there thus but also loads of 2 up 2 down ala gordon road

Do you mean Gordon Road in St.Ann's Ashley?......I spent many a happy day visiting my Grandparents down there when I was a small boy! They lived on Young St which I believed went onto Gordon Rd at the bottom.

Owdtite.

Do you mean Gordon Road in St.Ann's Ashley?......I spent many a happy day visiting my Grandparents down there when I was a small boy! They lived on Young St which I believed went onto Gordon Rd at the bottom.

Owdtite.

Ashley means Gordon Road St. Ann's. I used to live there in the late 60's,dowm from the newsagent and opposite the lauderette. Ashley and Isobel used to visit us.

I live near Beech Avenue and i always thought it was in New Basford, also my Grandma lived on Hollis Street before she married at no 21 but the terrace houses only go up to no 19 her house was pulled down to make way for a council house, at least i have some idea what her house looked from the ones rthat are left standing

My Gran used to live off Gordon Road, Blake street if my memory serves me right.

• 5 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Thought I had mentioned here before but must have been on another forum? anyway that newsagent's shop referred to in the video was on the corner of radford rd and hawksley rd, said newsagent had a habit of going round the pubs carrying and flashing a wad,

• 3 months later...

Have any of you heard about the Hyson Green local history project? We are interviewing people who lived at the flats so as to find out more about how it really was to live there, anyone willing to be interviewed about their memories?

• 2 months later...