Your oldest memories

I remember the sandbox at Berridge. Remember the smell! The smell of clay and the plastic aprons we had to wear. Hated it. 

All I wanted was books. Liked playing in the pretend post office. It had a real Bakelite phone. Otherwise, it was a drag and I hated it. Much preferred to be at home where life was more stimulating.

Waddo I too went to Shelton st infants and my first day at school is very vague but I remember my teacher. She was Mrs Reynolds and I do remember she wore a flowery smock. We lived right opposite Huntingdon st School , so we got a prime view when Priness Elizabeth came to Nottingham. As for my pre Nottingham days I remember sitting and walking with my brother along in front of our house and seeing the opposite side of the road raised to the ground with bomb damage.

I can't remember the teachers names, didn't like school much, but went to hunto jnr. Can you remember the sweet shop on the corner of Huntingdon st and woodborough rd?

First day at the Collygate school,the smell of the paper towels, managed to escape after about half an hour and leg it to my grandmothers across Wilford grove,school was all downhill from then on, as for treatment in childrens homes,it wasn't only confined to the homes,it also happened in the family home

Rog

I can remember my Nan looking after me before I was at school while (whilst?) My mum was at work. She lived on Bonnington Crescent In Sherwood and the back garden was enormous you went up some steps and it was like a small holding with fruit trees and bushes also hens and geese. I was terrified of the gander it always used to run at me and I used to take flight with it at my heels. My Nan used to shout stop running but it was hard not to as it seemed to be about the same size (if not bigger) then me. It used to get me pinned up against a wall and she used to shoo it off. It has left me with a healthy fear of geese. Also feeding the hens, if you held their food bowl with your fingers underneath they would jump up and peck them. Got told off regularly for dropping the bowl! She also had the nastiest, meanest ginger cat, it was a monster. It used to jump on my back from whatever perch it was on, my dad threatened to neck it. I have had cats since then, but must admit never a ginger one. I can also remember my grandad coming home from work and having a massive fry-up, the complete works black pudding, bacon, sausage, eggs etc. My Nan would do an extra fried egg and I would sit on his knee and dip soldiers in my egg, used to get my knuckles wrapped if I tried to dip them in his egg. He used to feed me pieces of black pudding though, I still love the stuff although the ingredients are a bit iffy.

• Like 4
3 minutes ago, Stavertongirl said:

I have had cats since then, but must admit never a ginger one.

Went out with a ginger haired girl once, she were the same!!.

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

This ginger Tom certainly wasn’t placid, although he loved my Nan would be on her knee purring as soon as she sat down. Reading my post back don’t know how I survived it all. 

• Like 2
7 hours ago, nonnaB said:

Waddo I too went to Shelton st infants and my first day at school is very vague but I remember my teacher.

7 hours ago, Waddo said:

I can't remember the teachers names, didn't like school much, but went to hunto jnr. Can you remember the sweet shop on the corner of Huntingdon st and woodborough rd?

This photo might cover all of those points. The arrow at the back is Shelton Street; the arrow at the front is Huntingdon St school; and the corner shop might be visible as well.

UukM9Td.jpg

My earliest memory is of being on holiday at Butlin's, Filey in 1947 (I think they'd just reopened after the war). I was two. My memory is of sitting on my dad's knee on the wall of a fountain and then slipping off into the water.

• Upvote 1
11 hours ago, IAN123. said:

Fothergills Church Hall can be seen.

Ay up Ian, you're not on about the church hall on woodborough rd are you? Cos I cant see it!. If you mean the tall building at the top left, that's some factory on Alfred st central if my memory serves correctly. Can't remember the name of it though.

21 hours ago, Waddo said:

I went on to Huntingdon st school but don't remember the sweet shop. Not like me to forget sweets though.

Cliff Ton I don't recognise anything there, I can't get my bearings. I know Shelton st was a way from Huntingdon st, meaning it was round a few corners. I only lived there until I was ten so memory a bit vague.

Another memory I have is going to Cayton Bay and camping in a chalet. My brother and I were in bed on the shelf whilst my parents were in the main part. We sat on the bed eating strawberries and I always bit into mine first. Good thing too I found an earwig inside. Now everytime I see one that memory comes back.

7 minutes ago, nonnaB said:

Good thing too I found an earwig inside. Now everytime I see one that memory comes back.

Only one thing worse than finding a earwig in your strawberry, and that's finding half a earwig!!

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, Waddo said:

Hi nonnaB, you're not Phyllis Green by any chance are you?

Sorry no. Can't remember the name but I remember a the male twins who were very good at acrobatics.

2 hours ago, Waddo said:

Ay up Ian, you're not on about the church hall on woodborough rd are you? Cos I cant see it!. If you mean the tall building at the top left, that's some factory on Alfred st central if my memory serves correctly. Can't remember the name of it though.

Cooper and Roe, knitwear, had a factory on Alfred St. as well as the one on Carlton Hill. Not been in since the 60’s though.

I recall that corner shop when I attended Huntingdon St sec school, I wasted my spending money at O'Sheas bakery though, hot buttered mini Hovis's and hot white bread straight out the ovens.

2 hours ago, philmayfield said:

Cooper and Roe, knitwear, had a factory on Alfred St. as well as the one on Carlton Hill. Not been in since the 60’s though.

I remember the knitwear factory but not the name! I wouldn't have thought that a knitwear factory would have a tower though! So might not be the same place.