Sight for sore eyes!

Today we decided to go to have a fish and chip lunch at a little historical town in the heart of the Black Country. Bilston. Very down to earth people, you must be very careful not to let your gaze settle on a person, as you would soon know about it. I like to visit the market, and the main street is flat, great for our daughter as she sometimes has difficulty walking.

Today, as we waited outside a pharmacy as daughter was inside purchasing, we couldn't believe our eyes. Walking down the paved high street, not a care in the world was a sight hard to believe. Two rather large ladies chatting away and laughing very loudly They wore fluffy flip flop style slippers, three quarter length flannelette pyjama leggings, one wore Pink fluffy short dressing gown and the other black and white polkadots. This was in the middle of town? They disappeared into a charity shop, so we followed with daughter. Inside, they were joined by a third person dressed the same.  Hard not to stare, but definitely dangerous to do so. I believe in live and let live, but in the middle of town, pyjamas.... Not a good vision?

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Bilston not changed then carni...........did some work canvassing for VG stores back in about 1970..........very down to earth place even then ,,i loved it,,one shopkeeper in particular a real black country character can't recall his name,, but one name that as stuck with me is ''Charlie Blackout'' a scrap dealer,very well known ask some of the oldies carni bet they remember him.

We had a large depot in Moxley and he was a frequent visitor,,always full of chat in that black country accent,,,very engaging chap always had a cup of Tea with the MD afore loading up with lots of scrap,,,reckon he was worth a fortune,,

No change benj. I like Bilston, and I am more at home with people who are ordinary, not showy or snooty. I know there must be a scrap merchant not far away from the town centre because whilst in the Charity Shop, all eyes were on the three women (discreetly of course). As I passed one woman she just looked at me and referring to the women she just whispered Tatters? I don't know why she said it to me, because I don't care what they are, so long as they are peaceful.

Their dress sense leaves a lot to be desired, but I must say in their defence, one asked the shopkeeper how much a small glass ornament was. He replied 50p she gave a pound and insisted he put the 50p change in the collection box. Teks all sorts. Dunt It.:biggrin:

• Like 5

What's the world coming to, if folks can't be bothered to wash and dress after getting out of bed. Makes me wonder how they can be bothered to go shopping, mind you they probably got to stock up on fags and booze ready for Jeremy Kyle and loose women!!!

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

When I worked in the small shop in Rossington we got many ladies coming in wearing pjs, used to see them at the main shops in the village as well. We also had one lad who used to come in during the evening wearing a onesie with ears and a tail (dog) he once jumped thru the door and ask where the dog food was. It cracked both my supervisor and me up:rolleyes:

• Like 2

Sad to say I have seen women in pyjamas out in the streets, chatting, emptying bins sometimes walking children to school. Usually, phone in one hand, thermal cup in tuther and kids toddling somewhere behind them.  When I first saw a female in Pyjamas I assumed the person was perhaps on night duty and that being the reason for night wear. How wrong I was. The trend is growing and it is widespread, but to wear them in the middle of town on a busy Friday, is taking it to another limit. Oh I forgot, the family that has just moved into the house next door but one to us, were all out the front in their dressing gowns chatting the other day. Am I old fashioned or What?

• Like 1

Could have been a wager, a fancy dress party or a charity stunt. At the end of the day whilst it may seem odd they were decently covered and were not I take it, a cause for concern so where's the harm?

I think we need more eccentrics and fewer clones.  thumbsup

• Upvote 1
42 minutes ago, Brew said:

Could have been a wager, a fancy dress party or a charity stunt. At the end of the day whilst it may seem odd they were decently covered and were not I take it, a cause for concern so where's the harm?

I think we need more eccentrics and fewer clones.  thumbsup

Decline in dress standards, in public some people have no shame, like parents who eff & blind it to their kids in public, no different.

• Like 1

I remember seeing an ad on tv, don't know if it was here or UK. It was an ad for PJ's very classy ones and the models were shopping, taking children to school etc. So maybe thats where its all coming from but theres a difference in classy and cheap stuff but you still go out in your night wear. I wouldn't dare to let the dogs out in mine and we don't have many neighbours and live in the country.

1 hour ago, catfan said:

Decline in dress standards, in public some people have no shame, like parents who eff & blind it to their kids in public, no different.

It's a bit of stretch mate from dress standards to swearing at the kids but I can see where you're going.

The problem is we all do something that would raise eyebrows in our grandparents day but is acceptable now. Times change and fashion changes fastest of all. The standards we set now are not what our predecessors would have thought appropriate.

Consider the old 1920/30/40s seaside pictures on here. Ladies in their Sunday best on  the prom, men in a full suit and tie on the beach! Compare them to some of the excellent seaside pictures you have posted. Great granny would have a dicky fit and declare them indecent!

3 hours ago, nonnaB said:

I wouldn't dare to let the dogs out in mine 

Would they fit the dogs?

• Like 3
6 hours ago, Brew said:

It's a bit of stretch mate from dress standards to swearing at the kids but I can see where you're going.

The problem is we all do something that would raise eyebrows in our grandparents day but is acceptable now. Times change and fashion changes fastest of all. The standards we set now are not what our predecessors would have thought appropriate.

Consider the old 1920/30/40s seaside pictures on here. Ladies in their Sunday best on  the prom, men in a full suit and tie on the beach! Compare them to some of the excellent seaside pictures you have posted. Great granny would have a dicky fit and declare them indecent!

Usually the same people.

Most aspects of life today. I remember my mam saying she would not dream of smoking in the street. Mrs C wouldn't go in a pub on her own or drink from a pint glass !

• Like 1