I can only remember two of my school trips, the first was to Lincoln Cathedral and can recall being asked to find the Lincoln Imp which was impossible unless you knew where to look and even when you were told approximately where it was it was still hard to find and somehow I expected it to be much bigger than it is. After that we were allowed to go up the tower and look at the bells on strict instructions that we were not to be in the bell chamber on the hour. We were out of the chamber when the bells began but the noise was tremendous especially when Great Tom struck, the whole place shook and I wonder how the tower withstood the vibrations over all those years.

The second was to France, Germany, Luxembourg and Austria on an MDT coach with 40 schoolmates and teachers. The lasting memories of this were a house in Innsbruck with gold leaf on the roof put there by the owner after rumours that he was in financial trouble. The other was seeing the transmitter mast at Radio Luxembourg and seeing where all that fantastic music was beamed from.

• Like 2

I cannot recall going on any school trips whilst at The Manning.  I do recall being offered the opportunity of an exchange with a French student for two weeks. I didn't relish the idea but two of our group of four, Denise Chambers..sister of Chris who is a member on this site...and another girl took advantage of the scheme. They spent two weeks in France during our term time and came back not particularly impressed.

The French girls spent their 2 weeks in the UK during our 6 week summer break. This side of the arrangement wasn't exactly a rip roaring success either.  The girl who stayed with Denise caused numerous problems, including wrecking the bathroom after seeing a rather muddy dog in the street, bringing it into the house and giving it a bath. Mrs Chambers went berserk when she came home from work and discovered the mess. She told me, at one point, that she was on the verge of sending mademoiselle back home early. 

I suppose such exchanges were designed to foster friendship over a longer term. Not in these cases! Both sets of parents heaved a sigh of relief when it was over, as did their daughters. I was glad I didn't participate. 

You missed out on a good experience, Jill  I went on an exchange visit to France from school when I was 13/14.  Very nerve wracking at that age - first time on a plane and having to stay with strangers and cope with the French language all day. Ended up being good friends with my French friend who came to stay with us in Nottm a few weeks later. 

• Like 2