Easy Peasy Shortbread biscuits

Pre heat oven to 180C/350F/gas mark4

225g (8oz) plain flour

85g (3 oz) caster sugar

110g (4oz) butter 

1 egg

Juice of 1 lemon

Mix flour and sugar then rub in the butter

Add egg and lemon juice and mix to a dough (if too sticky add a bit more flour)

Roll out on a LIGHTLY floured board to about 1/4 inch thickness and cut into shapes

Bake for 15 minutes or a bit less

Decorate with icing or little sweets/chocolate buttons stuck on with a blob of icing (or leave them plain!)

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

I well remember the Be- Ro book. It was published just after the war and that (with my granny) taught me to cook. It was republished just before I moved over here. The girl on the cover had grown up somewhat. I bought a copy and It's still around somewhere.

• Like 1

Hey Plant fit,  my missus has that be ro book and still uses it. She reckons you can't beat the old recipes. She also has her mums old recipe book from the 40s, when she was in the RAF. Trouble is with that though the quantities are for up to 450 persons. Want a cake? Take 48 eggs etc.:hungr: B.

• Like 2

I've still got my mum's old Be-ro book but it's falling apart so have to keep it in a plastic sleeve!  Still use the scone recipe sometimes

• Like 2

I have a Be-ro book,  use it for my favourites rock buns and melting moments. It is a bit tatty but wouldn’t dream of throwing it away so many yummy recipes.

• Like 2
1 hour ago, MargieH said:

I've still got my mum's old Be-ro book but it's falling apart so have to keep it in a plastic sleeve!  Still use the scone recipe sometimes

My father used to know one of the directors of Be Ro. Tom Bell, who used to live at the top of Oxton hill. He ran the Daybrook factory. The other director, who ran the Newcastle factory was a Mr. R. Oliver. Combining the names Bell and R. Oliver produced Be-Ro!

• Like 4
  • Upvote 2

The recipes do tend to use lard, though, and that's one thing I don't buy these days.  I used to use half lard and half margarine when making pastry but I buy ready made pastry these days. (Bet you make your own, Rog?)

Paul tells me he had bread and lard sandwiches as a child (NOT bread and dripping, which I quite liked)  

• Like 2

West Bridgford was/is called Bread & Lard Island (as well as some other unflattering names!)

We used some stuff called Trex as a lard substitute but it never seemed quite the same - something lacking in the flavour.

And Trex was much dearer jonab,,1/3 half lb in blue box,,when loose lard was 1/4 per pound,, the other was Spry in brown box at 1/4 half lb 

Sometimes make my own pastry Margie but like you sometimes buy the ready made stuff, I did read somewhere that  you use butter puff pastry for savoury foods and lard puff pastry for sweet foods,anyone else heard that?

Rog

• Upvote 1

I hadn't heard that either Plantfit. I always use half lard and half marg . All butter makes it too short and difficult to roll. At least for ordinary pastry. Don't use puff pastry much.

Margie I found a recipe for " The best scones ever" I want to try it . Made with lemonade would you believe.

Staverton girl I use the Bero book for ginger snaps and M Moments. My sister in law calls them sciolglievolezze. ( melts in the mouth) and I agree. 

• Like 2

I will await your scone results nonna. 

I could not make scones, they always turned out like flat hard biscuit type rock cakes. UNTIL, a few months ago, fed up with failures, I found this most basic of recipes on You Tube. I hope it is OK to add to my post. It helped because I could watch them being made through all the stages, could not go wrong, and they didn't. Wahoo. The only thing I did different was to throw in a handful of Sultanas after the rubbing in stage. We like fruit in our scones.

Here it is, take a look, see what the team thinks.

• Like 2
4 hours ago, philmayfield said:

My father used to know one of the directors of Be Ro. Tom Bell, who used to live at the top of Oxton hill. He ran the Daybrook factory. The other director, who ran the Newcastle factory was a Mr. R. Oliver. Combining the names Bell and R. Oliver produced Be-Ro!

Marsdens/Farrands were bought out by Moor's stores of Newcastle about 1968,,,probably why we always had special offers on Be-ro flour.......very popular at 1/11 per 3lb bag,,,interesting that Phil,,always thought Be-ro was just made in Nottingham,,,

I also thought the Be-Ro was exclusively Nottingham/Daybrook until I found the book on sale in a Co-op in Surrey in the 1980s and also the flour but that wasn't there very long, I don't think. That's where I bought the later version of the book, though.

Regarding making scones, my granny said to use self-raising flour AND baking powder to get them to rise properly.

• Like 1

Carni, when I'm adding fruit to the mixture, I only add a tiny bit of sugar, or sometimes none at all!

jonab, I always add just over a teaspoon of baking powder to the SR flour, especially if I'm using a cheaper supermarket brand!

When  making cheese scones, I add a bit of powdered mustard to the grated cheese

All this thinking about food is making me feel hungry.... is it teatime yet?

• Like 2

Would that be Morton, the village near Bourne?. If it is, i would say that my father in law would know her. He seems to know everyone within a 20mile radius of Bourne.

Not keen on savoury scones Margie but I always add a little mustard when making Quiches, it does go really well with cheese recipes. 

Talking about food made us hungry as well Margie. Daughter made a Sausage Casserole for us to try today, all sorts of tasty ingredients plus Schwartz Packet mix. She made two the other was a Colmans mix, so we could choose the best. We chose Colmans.

Slammed a shake of flour into a bowl, it was SR but Plain would have been OK. A sprinkle of 'Half spoon sugar' and a bobble of butter, rubbed it all together, topped some stewed apples from the freezer with the mix and 12 mins later, we had crumble. Custard made in minutes in the Microwave for hubbs, I finished off some double cream from the fridge. :)

• Like 3