Hi everyone. Please can anyone confirm I’m not going mad. I seem to remember there being a second branch of John Lewis in Nottingham either attached to the Broadmarch centre by a bridge or as part of the main centre itself. Is this true as I can find no mention of such a store anywhere online. Someone is bound to know! I’m sure I visited the store several times in the 90’s. Back in the 70’s we used to live at Radcliffe on Trent and caught the bus into Broadmarsh most days as I then worked at the old Nottingham General Hospital and my wife would travel down to Leicester either by bus or train (if we were feeling flush that month). We’d sometimes also get the train home to Radcliffe, but more often the bus. 

Fond memories of that time.

An earlier thread was about Macfisheries on Long Row. We often used to meet in Nottingham on a Friday and do our weekly shop there, especially if we were short of money at the end of the month as it was the only food shop at the time which accepted my wife’s Barclaycard!

"Jessops " now "John Lewis" was on King Street it was just half way up, after it moved  to Victoria Centre the premises was taken over by "Waring and Gillow" they had moved from a shop on Derby Road Nottm

And when Waring and Gillow closed on King Street they had a sale that beat all others. Friends of ours who were returning from living in Spain completely furnished their new home in Nottingham for peanuts and they still have all that good quality furniture.  

Edited to add that when we were moving back to Nottingham about 15 years ago we had far too much furniture as we downsized.  Years before I’d inherited some mahogany furniture from my granny and thought we’d get Charlie Ross (of TV fame and a local antique dealer) to come and give his estimates on the furniture.  He immediately announced that it wasn’t antique but 1930’s Waring and Gillow.  That made sense to me because my great grandparents had moved from Lenton into a brand new house in Wollaton in 1930.  Then my granny inherited everything when they passed away, then I took it on.  I still have it all too,, in 11 years time it will be antique but won’t be worth much as nobody wants good quality mahogany furniture these days.  

• Like 1

W & G stuff was superb quality, and I too got some good bargains.

Thanks for posting these details of stores in Nottingham. It is good to hear that Jessops was taken over by John Lewis. I find John Lewis stores excellent having shopped there in Birmingham, Tamworth and Aberdeen. It is good to deal with staff who know what they are talking about and the people who have delivered goods to us are so professional and know what they are doing.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1
  • 2 years later...

I read they have reported losses of half a billion and that further stores will have to close. I wonder if this will be the end for the Nottingham branch? It was the only place worth visiting in the Victoria Centre and most of the stuff you could buy there is available on line. Some people, mainly ladies, enjoy visiting the shops and trying on garments but they don’t represent the majority of purchasers. I can see an opportunity for yet more student flats.

Try having a look at 'Roys' of Wroxham Kev. They seem to be thriving. Best known as "The biggest village store in the World".