Thanks CliffTon. Just read a few excerpts and will read more soon. This link will make my daily/local dog walk very interesting.  I’ve been walking around Mapperley Park for nearly 15 years and am amazed at times when I spot an architecturally pleasing property I’ve never noticed before!  

• Upvote 1
  • 1 year later...

....and I've now discovered it also includes a re-write of an item which first appeared on Nottstalgia in 2014, because I recognised my red arrows on a map.

http://www.mapperleypeople.co.uk/wwi-zeppelin-raid-how-many-bombs-hit-mapperley/

And this is the NS version......

https://nottstalgia.com/forums/topic/12212-bombing-of-mapperley-ww1-by-zeppelin/  

• 1 year later...

A blog about East Midlands brickworks.  This link details Mapperley and Porchester works.

https://eastmidlandsnamedbricks.blogspot.com/2016/05/nottingham-brickworks-part-1-mapperley.html

• Like 2

I'd forgotten about Dorket Head still operating. In the early 80s I knew someone who worked there as a Sales Rep for the Nottm Brick company (or whatever it was called at the time).

I was thinking of all the sites around Porchester/Woodthorpe/Mapperley which are now housing.

Ibstock Dorket head currently have clay reserves till 2034.

And have access to another 25 years of clay,(2.7m cu mtrs) at current useage rates, across the road close to where Podder Spares are, maybe still subject to planning approval I believe.

And there's probably millions of tons of suitable clay in the surrounding fields for the future.

I suspect Dorket Head was chosen as the survivior site out of all the other brickworks due to it's access to large clay reserves, without having to knock down all the houses built around the other brickworks.

But as with coal, it's always there for the future.

• Like 1

Brick is still by far the most popular choice of external material for U.K houses and is still common on new commercial buildings.

The outer leaf on a cavity wall is decorative, not load bearing, so could be replaced by a variety of other materials.

If Insulate Britain had the intelligence to organise a proper and successful campaign to insulate all houses, then brick would disappear under insulation and a thin render skim.

And if it was all rushed through in the ridiculous timescale they suggest I doubt the render or insulation will stay on the walls for many years.

Even factory build modular homes, like the ones being erected on Rolleston Drive Arnold use some brick slip facings.