Parliament Street Over The Years

Picture 6 and picture 19 confuse me a bit. Pic 6 shows an old Pullman's store existing in 1962. Pic 19 legend says Pullman's was bombed out in 1941. There are a few Pullman's threads on NS one of which shows Pullman's as being a partially destroyed multi storey building. Was this a previous Pullman's located nearer the baths? Because that row of shops in pic 19 replaced an old  Pullman's still existing, undestroyed, in 1962.(pic6)

On the subject of Pullman's, am I right in thinking there was a Pullman's store on Hucknall High Street (or perhaps Ogle St)?

It's only a vague memory but I'm associate the name of the shop with Pullman trains which I use to see occasionally going through the Central Station. I thought, in my childish wisdom, that you could buy trains in the shop - I was only little at the time.

Edit: I think it was a furniture shop.

1 hour ago, Willow wilson said:

Picture 6 and picture 19 confuse me a bit. Pic 6 shows an old Pullman's store existing in 1962. Pic 19 legend says Pullman's was bombed out in 1941.

The NEP have been know to be wrong in some of their descriptions. The two photos show the same buildings (or remains), so maybe part of the original was destroyed and some survived.

Xv3ongB.jpg

6 minutes ago, Willow wilson said:

I found this in 'Bombed Buildings' thread, titled Pullman's.

Must have been quite a store in its heyday.

I'm not sure that was ever Pullman's.    I have the same photo in an Old Nottingham book and the building is described as Trivett's on Short Hill in the Lace Market.

Price and Beal corner reminds me of the time I was riding an old motor bike round there, head on the handlebars arse in the air like a proper racer ;) must have been doing all of 30 mph round the corner when the window cleaner who was cleaning the shop windows decided to empty his wash bucket in the road by throwing the water across the road, motor bike skidded on the wet surface and yours truly ended up on the pavement across the road, funny how a picture can bring back so many memories

Rog

• Like 1