F.Mitchell Triumph dealership records

Hello everyone in Nottingham,

My name is Paul Clark and I have just joined the forums to dig up some info if I can, about F.Mitchell, the erstwhile Triumph dealership in Nottingham. I have seen a discussion thread elsewhere in the forum mentioning that showroom).

It's a long story...

When I was a lad (always a good opening on a nostalgia blog), I used to ride in my uncle's Triumph TR3 (or possibly a 3A). It was red with black upholstery, and that was around about 1965 when I was 11 years old. He sold the car a few years later as I recall. I am now just reaching retirement age and I have decided to try and track down that car, to discover what became of it. Now unfortunately I have no photos, and the only identification is from a cousin who remembers the registration was ERA. So based on the age of the car it would be nnnERA, NOT ERAnnn. 

DVLA have been singularly unhelpful - but I have traced (through various TR owner's clubs) one TR3 with a registration 798ERA and been in contact with the owner - but for various reasons I have ruled this out as being the same car (different colour at manufacture etc). BUT the owner of THAT car knows that it was manufactured in 1957 and left the factory destined for F.Mitchell. A google search returns this http://vitessesteve.blogspot.com/2018/11/mitchells-of-nottingham-triumph-car.html which is interesting.

In those days, before even the DVLCs days, councils would issue a batch of registration numbers to a garage, and they would use them on new car sales as required. So i am thinking that if in 1957, F.Mitchell sold a Triumph TR3 with registration 798ERA, it is entirely possible that other TR3 or 3As were sold by Mitchells around the same time with OTHER registrations containing nnnERA. And one of those could be the car I am seeking.

So this is where I am seeking help from you all - can anyone recall the history of F.Mitchell, and what became of it. There is the slightest of chances that sales records exist, if I can pin down what became of the company.

I look forward to any replies.

Regards,

Paul

PS - I should also mention that I don't have much connection with Nottingham, but when I was working for ICL (based down south) I used to travel about doing one-week training courses, and one of them was for a health authority in Nottingham. I do remember going to Yates' Wine Lodge in Nottingham and there being an ornate mezzanine floor with a string quartet playing. Am I imagining that or does anyone else remember that - probably 1980s. 

1 hour ago, catfan said:

Didn't F Mitchel flog tractors too ?

That was Mitchell Farm Services, part of the same group. They were at Basford on the opposite side of the tracks to Vernon Rd. They also had a place at Etwall, just past Derby. I think they were Massey Ferguson dealer’s. 

Nottingham City Police had used Standard Ensigns and Vanguards before the company's merger with Triumph.

Nottingham City (as usual!) had cars that were unique. They were the only force to put their city coat of arms on the doors and while every other force in Britain was happy with tinkling bells they specified American style sirens.

I saw an old picture of mitchells garage on one thread at the junction of gregory blvd and radford road  I used to get spares from them when they were down lenton then they moved to ilkeston road just over the railway bridge I remember the parts chap had a remarkable memory he knew all the part numbers he would fetch anything to the counter never needed the book Meeowed

2 minutes ago, pxc2000 said:

Re bamber’s comment 

RA was a Derbyshire County Council suffix until 1974 which would tie in with them having a dealership at Etwall.

did you mean F.Mitchell had a dealership at Etwall?

Mitchell Farm Services had a dealership at Etwall. They sold farm machinery but not cars. 

• 1 year later...
On 2/22/2019 at 9:56 AM, bamber said:

Nottingham City Police had used Standard Ensigns and Vanguards before the company's merger with Triumph.

Nottingham City (as usual!) had cars that were unique. They were the only force to put their city coat of arms on the doors and while every other force in Britain was happy with tinkling bells they specified American style sirens.

FMitchell+%2528Nottingham%2529+Ltd+STR+0

Here is an image from my blog post about F Mitchells: https://vitessesteve.blogspot.com/2018/11/mitchells-of-nottingham-triumph-car.html