Carrington Street Over The Years

• 2 years later...

Thinking about Carrington St and Midland station.

The lovely wooden WH Smith was always a go to for me, from five until about 35 years of age, had a 

distinctive 'smell'..more than just the floor polish.

When very young, the pub/hotel on the opposite corner of Station St gave me the creeps, thick drapes at the windows, never saw anybody enter, probably just my first vision of Nottingham. Looked really old with original features...recall the wallpaper looking Interesting from a bus. maybe too many episodes of the Adams Family!

When much older, remember a shop, just before the canal on the left, approching from Broad Marsh the whole window display was belt buckles, was it a cobblers?

Just the other side of the canal was a Tote bookies, used to stake my bets there, an 'excuse'to come back!;)

If memory serves me correctly, somewhere about half way up from Canal Street to the canal, there used to be a lovely little cafe/tearoom. When I was on jury service at Crown Court, us jurors used to go in there for our lunchtime recess.

The place I remember well on Carrington St. was Midland Magneto. Each technician was an expert in his particular field and you could go into the works and chat to the expert without just handing something over the counter. They had an annual day's outing to Skeg. which they used to publicise in the Post with photos of all the staff. Also Metcalf's was a Mecca for things like ropes, tarpaulins and fixings.

Are you expressing an opinion Ben? Or perhaps telling the name of the café. Was sitting on one case and when we went for our lunch, who should be sat there but the Defendant.:ph34r:

Then my sincere apologies to you sir. I must admit, I didn't know what the establishment was called when I frequented it. Memory and Fog come to mind. 

On a lighter note, wasn't WHSmith stall just inside the archway entrance, where the taxis pulled up? With a little cabin on the outside pavement. Those arches look like they're glazed now. (Unless I've got that wrong as well).

• 1 year later...
30 minutes ago, Bing said:

Two shops I recall very near the canal, one was a furrier and near to that for a time was a Royal Navy recruitment office.

Was there a Yeomans store near there as well

Rog

My mum used to buy meat at a butchers on Carrington Street, I think it was Wheatleys.  I remember being in the shop with her as a little girl when Prince Monolulu sauntered in, in full Red Indian dress, including the feathered headgear.  I was terrified and clung onto my Mum’s skirt.  There were very few black people around in the early 50s, n’er mind dressed like him!  

8 hours ago, Bing said:

Two shops I recall very near the canal, one was a furrier and near to that for a time was a Royal Navy recruitment office.

8 hours ago, plantfit said:

Was there a Yeomans store near there as well

8 hours ago, philmayfield said:

....and, of course Redmayne and Todd.

From the film 'Ragman's Daughter' - all three just visible here. (Yeoman's might've been Army & General).

Bup5cSH.jpg

• Like 1
11 hours ago, Cliff Ton said:

From the film 'Ragman's Daughter' - all three just visible here. (Yeoman's might've been Army & General).

Bup5cSH.jpg

Never heard of this film , I can watch it on YouTube,  thanks for the heads up !

13 hours ago, philmayfield said:

I remember Charles Town but can’t visualise its position. I thought it was further up Arkwright St. but maybe I’m confusing that with Pete’s Electronics. He went upmarket, moved to Bobber’s Mill and sold B &O and Finlux products.

Was Charles Town across the road from the Navy careers place?

Rog