Stamp Price Increase

1st and 2nd class stamps are to increase in price on March 25th. 1st class are to increase to 70p and 2nd class to 61p. So if you use a lot or want to get some in stock (think about Christmas cards) then you might want to get some before they increase in price.

• Like 1

Yes, Eileen, it's unbelievable. I'm amazed they waited till after Christmas !

Not at that price I wouldn’t think. Perhaps if they were substantially cheaper the volume of post would increase. This is just a disincentive to use the mail.

Fewer people are using the postal service. How can we bring them back? ‘I know, let’s put the price of stamps up’.

My wife does that every year, then she puts them away in a safe place , yes  you have guessed right she can never find them. Some where in the house we must have a secret place full of Christmas cards and lost socks.

We buy all of our Christmas cards, wrapping, ribbons, bows, crackers and any gifts that will keep well all in the January sales. It is something we had to do in past years as hubbs and I are both from big families, and it was the only way we could afford to buy for our loved ones. It is not down to being tight, it is born from necessity. When our parents were still with us and brothers and sisters had small children, the count was 40+, that was before we even started on our own children. I love giving gifts, but there is no way we could do it now. The family gift list is down to around 20ish these days, but still need those sales to help out.:)

• Like 5
  • 4 years later...

I had some of the old sort (pre barcode) left after the end of July when they ceased to be usable. I sent them in and received barcoded replacements. They will be the last ones I use at that price. First class mail often doesn't reach its destination the following day so second class (of which I also had a stock left over) will suffice from now on.

• Like 1

We had an anniversary recently. 2 cards came from the UK, one cost £2.20 to send, the other £4.20. Crikey. I am not expecting many Christmas cards from there this year, they get less and less each year. Can't blame them. Here the letter rate for domestic mail is 66c. It costs the same whether i send to the next street or across country (e.g. California to Maine, over 4,000 miles) still 66c. International is $1.50.

• Like 1

I’m surprised that stamps are still on sale. But not everybody has a PC so really I suppose the increase justifies the need. We stopped buying and trying to send Christmas cards because we bought the cards we liked but the post office always said “ wrong size they won’t be franked” so eventually we stopped , explaining to everyone what was happening but then we thought . We phone nearly everyone we know to wish them seasons greeting so it’s pointless to try and send cards. This is more personal and is appreciated especially to the older folks who in any case get regular calls from us and they always recall when they were younger. One aunt in particular always tells my husband that she is his godmother

and she was 10 yrs old:rolleyes:. Lovely for her and us.

We subscribed to Jaquie Lawson cards for an  annual fee of £15.00, last year I sent 68 email cards inc.birthday, christmas, easter and other greetings. All free of charge !

Check it out online. You won't be disappointed, honest.

Just ask the NS members who've received them.

If Iv'e got your email address, I'll send you one!)

I have no idea how much a stamp costs here, it must be nearly ten years since I posted a letter.

Only get about one mail item a week and over half is junk mail and goes straight in the bin or the shredder if it has an address on it.

Her indoors still sends cards at Christmas and usually writes a mini letter inside the card.

When I do see the postie he is delivering mainly parcels.