Melton Terrace Grans home

Happy memories here on Sunday visits , this was pre1964 ,the outside toilet and metal bath still used.No one complained  although   mod cons were  available, and in general use by this time. Top left of Melton Terrace a small provision store was still evident., serving The Meadows area.

Bullet holes were visible on Melton Terrace where a German Plane had fired at mother whilst I was in the pram fortunately missing on a visit to Gran,s house precise date unknown.

Uncle Fred Baker Gran,s second husband visited The Greyhound Pub on London Road very often .  It seems The Meadows have long gone and we have not visited that area since  leaving in 1964, perhaps next time we will, to see the changes.

• Like 1
13 hours ago, denshaw said:

I knew 2 families on Melton terrace, the Clarkes and the Priestleys.

It was along time ago for me, I used to visit Gran every Sunday with mum and dad as my half brother lived with her, he was always getting ready  polishing his shoe and putting on his Brylcream before going out drinking with friends at 17!!. There was a neighbour there called Mrs Pratt who had an enormous growth in her face, poor lady and I remember getting my legs slapped for pointing at her I was about six  or seven.

16 minutes ago, carl hebb said:

There was a neighbour there called Mrs Pratt who had an enormous growth in her face, poor lady and I remember getting my legs slapped for pointing at her I was about six  or seven.

I remember being equally tactless when I was young. When we visited relatives in Lenton I'd ask my parents "why has auntie Mabel got a moustache ?".

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

Funny you should say that, there was an old lady outside our shop on Ilkeston Road with facial hair I said the obvious look at that ladies Beard. Told off. My half brother said Dad who had a moustache looked down at gran( mum,s mum) from behind remarking she had a better moustache than him, it seems mum was upset I was very young not taking the incident in, Happy times nonetheless

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1
  • 2 years later...
On 3/4/2019 at 11:03 AM, carl hebb said:

It was along time ago for me, I used to visit Gran every Sunday with mum and dad as my half brother lived with her, he was always getting ready  polishing his shoe and putting on his Brylcream before going out drinking with friends at 17!!. There was a neighbour there called Mrs Pratt who had an enormous growth in her face, poor lady and I remember getting my legs slapped for pointing at her I was about six  or seven.

I've just read this and I happen to be one of the priestleys 

• 6 months later...