37 minutes ago, Brew said:

Now you're just being lairy. We have had posts, stakes, pales, sheds and shops - now you want to introduce poles and barns...   where will it all end?

At our last house we had 3 barns although, in times past,  one had been used as a stable , one as a piggery and one had a big bread oven in it.   There was also an outside earth toilet with two seats, so you could share the experience with a friend.   In the bottom of the trench under the toilet seats were loads of walnut shells!   (There was a big walnut tree in the garden...)

16 minutes ago, DJ360 said:

I'm sure someone will shed some light on it..

Keep up, Col, we've already had that joke.... repetition can become boring.

• Like 7
  • Upvote 2
  • Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

At our last house we had 3 barns although, in times past,  one had been used as a stable , one as a piggery and one had a big bread oven in it.   There was also an outside earth toilet with two seats,

A two seater, Margie, Wow!!  You lot must have had money to have one of them.  We only had a one seater.  Shared it with some big spiders.  You checked before you sat down.  Used to go out there at ni

Oh OK. I'll try to be more varied with my posts..  

1 hour ago, MargieH said:

Keep up, Col, we've already had that joke.... repetition can become boring.

Now now Margie we don't want him shedding tears before bedtime..

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

A two seater, Margie, Wow!!  You lot must have had money to have one of them.  We only had a one seater.  Shared it with some big spiders.  You checked before you sat down.  Used to go out there at night with a bike lamp.  Even had newspaper sheets on a nail on the wall.  Built of brick it was.  Like a battleship.  Fond memories. :crazy:

• Like 6
  • Upvote 2
  • 2 weeks later...

Not a Wendy house BK it will be a lady cave, complete opposite of a man cave it will only have useful gadgets and gizmos in it with loads of pictures of Johnny Depp and other assorted eye candy! Beautifully decorated and not a tool, screw or nail in sight.

• Like 1
57 minutes ago, Stavertongirl said:

Not a Wendy house BK it will be a lady cave, complete opposite of a man cave it will only have useful gadgets and gizmos in it with loads of pictures of Johnny Depp and other assorted eye candy! Beautifully decorated and not a tool, screw or nail in sight.

Good grief, it's the end of civilisation as we know it...

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

''Quote'' Staverton girl,,

''Not a tool,screw or nail in sight''...........sounds like my sort of place...............................

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

You can't beat a ''Good drool'' Loppy............but i don't see the fascination in any tools.........my Dad was same,, as are my sons.........lol

• Like 1

Us hounds like to drool Ben.  I think it's a bit like drooling over cars you would have loved when you were in your twenties.  You could probably afford one now but you're too old to safely handle it.;)

• Like 1

Not even into cars,,, had a mate who used to repair any car i had..........trouble was he always wanted to show me the offending broken bit and explain how he mended it................Did my head in     lol......

• Like 2

It's a certain type of mentality, Ben.  It makes us proud and feeling useful when we can fix something and we think everyone will want to know how we fixed it and how much money we saved.  We really can't understand  it when half the world doesn't care, and the other half probably think they could have done it better than we did.  :rolleyes:

• Like 5

I'm drooling over a CNC small router..Sorry Ben "Computer Numerical Controlled".  I can see it getting lots of usage, but will be later in the year before I get one, then a 3d printer and 3d scanner. I love tools even though they find me more work to carry out.

• Like 2

Iv'e always had a small router,,John ,but its never been controlled,,numerically or any other way..............lol

You mean it does it's own thing???:crazy:

• Like 1

I used to enjoy learning about the way pushbikes, motorbikes, cars and other stuff worked. But sometimes it was just a necessity, and always at the wrong time...

Here's my 'ultimate poor man's fix it'..from years ago.

We were always broke and at this point I was full time in uni so we were even more broke.

My 150 quid Fiat 127 Special developed a fault on the main beam switch, which was part of an assembly which fitted around the steering shaft.  

Something like this, but I recall it seeming more complex

Fiat-127-Special-Devio-Luci-Switch-Colum

It consisted of a series of plastic discs, maybe four inches in diameter, all stacked together like a pile of plates.

Each had little contacts, wires, springs and small steel 'detent' balls to lock indicator, wiper, light etc., 'stalks' into position.  I got the steering wheel off and then the switch assembly.  It turned out to be held together with what amounted to two very long 'pop' rivets.

It was pretty clear that if I removed those rivets the whole thing would spring apart into a mass of bits which I'd be very unlikely to reassemble.  I checked the price of a replacement, and it was more than the cost of the car.

After fiddling about I found that the contact for the faulty main beam switch had a 'dry', or cracked solder joint which I couldn't get a soldering iron into to fix.

So, I drilled one of two rivets out and replaced it with a loop of wire to stop the assembly exploding into bits.  Then I removed the wire and held the thing together with one hand... easing it apart just enough to get the soldering iron in. It took ages to get a satisfactory solder joint and my hand was in spasm by the time I'd done it.  Put the wire back to keep it together temporarily.

Then.. how to replace long pop rivet?  I'd had to destroy it to get it out.  I set about trying to find a long thin nut and bolt with no success.. then  a brainwave.  The long aluminium spout of a tin of  'Plus-Gas' penetrating fluid.  It was pretty much the same diameter tube as I needed.  Scrounged a pop riveter from a neighbour and lashed up the steel inner part of my 'pop' rivet with a length of something..  A bike wheel spoke?  Can't properly recall.. but it worked.

Result!!  But I'd hate to have to do that again..:blink:

• Like 1
10 hours ago, Ayupmeducks said:

then a 3d printer and 3d scanner.

Definitely get a 3D printer, a mate and I share one, the last job was a replacement knob for a BBQ.

Get the best one you can afford and if you are looking to do detailed work look at the specs and get the smallest step resolution. Most mid range printers come with 0,1 mm (.004") step resolution, satisfactory for most applications but may need some hand finishing for smooth objects.

If you have a smart phone with a reasonable quality camera it can serve as a 3D scanner by using many of the free apps that are available.

This website has thousands of 3d models that also includes spare parts for many appliances and hardware. https://www.thingiverse.com/

17 hours ago, Stavertongirl said:

Beautifully decorated and not a tool, screw or nail in sight.

Won't you need screws and nails to hold up the pictures of Johnny Depp?

9 hours ago, DJ360 said:

My 150 quid Fiat 127 Special developed a fault on the main beam switch, which was part of an assembly which fitted around the steering shaft.  Something like this, but I recall it seeming more complex

Each had little contacts, wires, springs and small steel 'detent' balls to lock indicator, wiper, lighand then the switch assembly.  It turned out to be held together with what amounted to two very long 'pop' rivets

So, I drilled one of two rivets out and replaced it with a loop of wire to stop the assembly exploding into bits.  Then I removed the wire and held the thintempolong aluminium spout of a tin of  'Plus-Gas' penetrating fluid.pop riveter 

Result!!  But I'd hate to have to do that again..:blink:

Please don't Col,,

• Like 3
5 hours ago, Oztalgian said:

Won't you need screws and nails to hold up the pictures of Johnny Depp?

Drawing pins or the proper picture hanging “thingys” (note the technical term),  hate having screws & nails sticking out of walls such a pain when you decorate. Only the best for Johnny.

• Like 1

Hey SG., can I come up and paint your shed? I could do it out like a fairground caravan or old travellers horse drawn van. Obviously I would leave room for whatisname, johnny depp.:Vampire:

19 hours ago, Ayupmeducks said:

I'm drooling over a CNC small router..Sorry Ben "Computer Numerical Controlled".  I can see it getting lots of usage, but will be later in the year before I get one, then a 3d printer and 3d scanner. I love tools even though they find me more work to carry out.

3d printer ......in simple language for me, can it make anything that will scan am thinking of miniature furniture. I have had a look at the information on line which makes it look easy (ish) but will I need lots of extras to make it work.

Gem

Gem, go to Youtube and in there search window type in 3D printers, you can see what they are capable of, obviously a desk top 3d printer is limited to what it can make, but for all practical purposes will do what most people want. They are plastic moulding machines in reality, using different types of plastic and actually melt the plastic at the print head onto a hot platter and steadily build up the 3d component.

The only extras you will need are a dedicated computer, an old one running windows 2000, XP, Vista or 7 will do the job, usually the software for the printer will come with it or a free download from the manufacturer of the printer.

I'm lucky, I have several old computers that will do the jobs for me.