When the castle was torched the "good"(sic) old dook got 20k compo as well from the Corporation.

The "Corporation" was Whig at the time & the Dook was a Tory.

I still think it was an "inside" job.

• Replies 211
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I only wish you had posted them individually. 

A lot of the stuff at the Royal Armouries collection actually came from the Pattern Room. This was held first at the Tower of London then went to RSAF Enfield when that closed it transferred to Royal Ordnance Nottingham before eventually arriving at Leeds. I was one of a lucky few to gain admission whilst it was held in Nottingham.

The problem is the weapons contained in that part of the collection are all fully operative so only a few are allowed for display the rest of the 20,000 examples and kept behind the scenes.

• Upvote 1
  • 2 years later...

Hopefully it'll generate more tourists, but I hope that give it a sand blasting to brighten it up a bit.

• 2 years later...

This afternoon after lunch I sat with a coffee watching tv. I wasn't particularly interested in the programme but got thinking about the paintings of famous artists. I remember seeing a very large painting in Nottingham Castle and we had my relatives from Italy with us . We were lucky enough to find a guide that gave us a bit of history about a few things but this painting has stuck with me. It was a painting of many people all crowded together. The guide pointed out quite a few mistakes in this work of art. One being there was a spare arm. It didn't seem to belong to anybody no matter how you traced it back. The guide also pointed out where the painting had been erased and repainted. It was very interesting. Does anyone else have memories of the Castle  and of the paintings.

• Like 1

Yes Nonna, I remember the pintings by local artist Richard Parkes Bonnington,or I think he was local, he painted mainly coastline views though

Rog

Loved going to Nottm Castle Nonna when my children were young it was the place to go during school holidays and we would always make a bee line to the large old paintings never got tied of looking at them. 

It's having a big refurbishment at the moment so we'll see how that goes. 

• Upvote 1
1 hour ago, nonnaB said:

It was a painting of many people all crowded together. The guide pointed out quite a few mistakes in this work of art. One being there was a spare arm. It didn't seem to belong to anybody no matter how you traced it back. The guide also pointed out where the painting had been erased and repainted.

This apparently is in Nottingham Castle. Do your remember if it's the painting in question ?  It has lots of people sitting around, and I haven't counted the arms.

QSZquql.jpg

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

No Cliff Ton it wasn't that one . Iremember it was a very dark painting and the extra arm was somewhere near the figure in red holding up a goblet.  It seemed from what I remember a painting of a scene out of life in London, with beggars etc. Sorry but thats the best I can describe it.

London. drinking and beggars... did the castle have any by Hogarth?

The only other I can think of is the Da Vinci last supper

The painting above posted by Enigma is Goose Fair. It depicts the fair when it was held on the market square and you can see the clock of the old exchange building peeping through. It's by Arthur Spooner and was commissioned by someone with plenty of cash. Spooner as a joke painted the policeman as a likeness of the man who had commissioned it. One of my favourites. 

• Like 3
  • Upvote 2
58 minutes ago, Cliff Ton said:

Apparently there are 724 paintings in Nottingham Castle

Some good some bad, most are mediocre but only got as far as page two so there may be some fit for hanging in the shed...

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2

The only painting I have clearly in my mind, having seen it every time I’ve been in the Castle Gallery since childhood, is ‘Elsie on Hassan’ by Dame Laura Knight, who wasn’t a dame when she painted it.  I’ve tried to copy it to here but unable to from that website.  Her husband was a bit of a lad .......never realised until looking at some of his paintings tonight ...... he enjoyed painting Male models .....  Ohhhh, I say :Shock:

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Seems like a nice boy !

14 hours ago, LizzieM said:

The only painting I have clearly in my mind, having seen it every time I’ve been in the Castle Gallery since childhood, is ‘Elsie on Hassan’ by Dame Laura Knight, who wasn’t a dame when she painted it.  I’ve tried to copy it to here but unable to from that website.  Her husband was a bit of a lad .......never realised until looking at some of his paintings tonight ...... he enjoyed painting Male models .....  Ohhhh, I say :Shock:

Here is the painting I’ve always remembered from the Castle.  I finally managed to lift it from another site ;)

10-B81267-7477-4-FA7-90-DE-DE2-CE0488653

• Like 6

Lovely Lizzie it reminds me of "The greatest show on earth" with Betty Hutton was It? She was the trapeze artist.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1
On 3/5/2019 at 3:59 PM, nonnaB said:

Lovely Lizzie it reminds me of "The greatest show on earth" with Betty Hutton was It? She was the trapeze artist.

Just seen that film today, 13th march. It was on film 4 at 11.00am. Also starred Cornele Wilde, Charlton Heston and James Stewart. Beekaythumbsup

• Upvote 1
1 hour ago, Cliff Ton said:

looks like a block of expensive apartments.

You could be closer to the truth than you think Clif ton, maybe not just yet but possibly in the future

Rog