3 hours ago, Cliff Ton said:

The castle is currently wrapped up as part of its £30m makeover, and looks like a block of expensive apartments.

1 hour ago, AfferGorritt said:

Oh, and Cliff Ton, don't be giving this council any more ideas, we've enough student accommodation as it is!

Actually an opportunity there for the entrepreneurs... top of the range accomodation for well-heeled students. :biggrin:

Not so tongue-in-cheek either. I know students often get a bad press on here but a point many don't consider.... in these straitened times Academia is a growth industry. Aside from various establishments of further education in Nottingham and just taking our two Universities, a total business in excess of £1billion per year with 10,000+ jobs. Total students approaching 70,000, imagine the infrastructure and thousands of ancillary jobs to support that. Like them or not, students are a huge part of the City's economy. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2
  • Replies 211
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I only wish you had posted them individually. 

Off to bed. Good night all. Barriethumbsup

This thread didn't last long ! I thought Nottingham castle might be a bit more interesting.:sorry:

9 minutes ago, philmayfield said:

More interesting than Newark Castle - except Nottingham Castle isn't really a castle!

That's me told !!

19 hours ago, Beekay said:

Just seen that film today, 13th march. It was on film 4 at 11.00am. Also starred Cornele Wilde, Charlton Heston and James Stewart. Beekaythumbsup

Wish I had seen it.

1 hour ago, philmayfield said:

except Nottingham Castle isn't really a castle

What is it then Phil ?

1 minute ago, Waddo said:

How many of them do we get in Nottingham Rog ?

I remember two in 1978 and three more in 1982, (but I think they were lost).

• Like 2

I would have thought that William the conqueror would have built a castle! Not some fancy mansion. Unless he worked for wimpey!

Just had a conflab with Mr g oogle, and even he says it's a castle, as well as a ducal mansion.

Would've thought they could have come up with a better shape than square. Not much imagination there.

There is more mass in a square than other shapes of the same dimension, bigger is better most of the time!!

Now you're splitting hairs Waddo. Take a look at Bodium castle, now that's a castle ! It was a ruin before the Americans started their history, thanks to Cromwell.

Please define a castle, i know it probably doesn't mean the same today, but years ago it was, "an English man's home is his castle" I would take that as a castle is what you felt secure in!!

The walls were about 8ft thick, I'm sure I would have felt secure in that. Bodium never saw any action though, first shot fired and they surrendered.

4 minutes ago, Beekay said:

Now you're splitting hairs Waddo

Not splitting hairs, but if every article you read about it, refers to it as a castle and not a mansion who are we to argue? Why wasn't if renamed, after the fire Nottingham hall/abbey/house or something. If your house burnt down, they would build another house, theoretically!