3 minutes ago, Waddo said:

Not splitting hairs, but if every article you read about it, refers to it as a castle and not a mansion who are we to argue? Why wasn't if renamed, after the fire Nottingham hall/abbey/house or something. If your house burnt down, they would build another house, theoretically!

Yes, but it wouldn't be called "Mayfield Castle". More likely "Mayfield Bungalow".

• Replies 211
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I only wish you had posted them individually. 

Hey Phil, we've got a Mayfield near us. It's off the A267, on the way to Tunbridge Wells. A beautiful village !! B.

Whilst the current edifice may indeed be underwhelming, it is still quite legitimate to call Nottingham Castle a castle. Historic ruins are still referred to as their original function, even if there is little left of the original.

There are some small parts of the original castle left, the site is still the same, it certainly resembles a castle even if the main building is a mansion. It's called Nottingham Castle so isn't that enough?

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, plantfit said:

Where's the castle?

Rog

I'm stood on the ramparts looking out.:Shock:

• Like 1

In all my years of living and working in Nottingham, to my shame, I have never visited the Mortimer's hole caves. Can one still visit the castle caves? We would love to pay a trip next time we come up. Had a look round Brewers yard once but that's it. B.

3 hours ago, plantfit said:

Where's the castle?

Rog

If you look very hard, you can see it just behind the 2nd knol from the left !!

• Like 1
  • 9 months later...

Really interesting photo's, I didn't show any interest in the castle for the few years I lived in the City, a weekend visit in 2020 on the cards !

Regards all…..

I'd like to know more about why the riding school was created and when it opened?..

Will most certainly be a show of Victorian arrogance over thier hard working masses.

Hope the revamped castle focuses on what was lost.. through ignorance, and what they have recently 'found'. The opportunity of cashing in on Richard Greene, and perfected by Kevin Costner are long over..Hope they aren't reopening the Robin Hood Centre on Maid Marian Way!

I looked at the Broad Marsh centre redevelopment..and for what it is 

like it..

Strange they are keeping the bridge over Collin St !

Hope the two areas dovetail together and bring some prosperity.

On 1/8/2020 at 10:47 PM, Brew said:

Anyone know why the riding school tower was demolished?

Not just the tower demolished, the whole building.

I believe it was a riding school for the military, so when the army became mechanised and stop using horses in battle, there was no need to train people to ride.

I'll add to my own previous post for anyone who wants to know more about the Riding School at the Castle.

http://www.nottshistory.org.uk/articles/tts/tts1929/itinerary1929p12.htm

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1
  • 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Nottingham Castle reopens next month :Shock:

General admission ticket prices are as follows (minus any discount):

Adult: £13 - (£14.30 with Gift Aid)

Child (5-17): £9.50 (£10.45 with Gift Aid)

Concession: £12.00 (£13.20 with Gift Aid)

Family (2+3): £35.50 (£39.05 with Gift Aid)

Family (1+3): £22.50 (£24.75 with Gift Aid)

Children aged 0-4 and Carers: Free

• Upvote 1

Scandalous............remember paying one old Penny.........thought that was expensive.........so next time me and my my mate Harry Fewkes climbed up the rock.........lol

• Like 1

That is extortionate!  The last time I went was years ago when I took a party of schoolchildren who were attending a mediaeval history workshop. The tutor was very good but I was conscious that the surroundings were as far from mediaeval as you can get.  Not terribly atmospheric. Richard Crookback was at Nottingham Castle when he received news that his only child, a son, had died. Would love to have seen it in those days.

• Upvote 1

At those prices it looks like I shall be relying on 40 yr old memories.

Entrance to the British Museum is FREE, what does the castle have that warrants what could easily top £50 for a family?

• Like 1

Yep total rip off and to be honest it's an embarrassment to the city and its legend!!

We had some American friends Come over and their reaction after a visit was "IS THAT IT????" if I could of dissappeared up me own arse I would have:angry:

At least a walk down to the "Trip"made up for it especially after a few:biggrin:

• Like 1