On 5/24/2021 at 9:02 AM, benjamin1945 said:

........so next time me and my my mate Harry Fewkes climbed up the rock.........lol

Funny i mentioned my old mate yesterday.......bumped into his wife and Grandaughter having coffee in Bulwell this morning...and she reminded me its been 5 years since Harry passed......only seems like yesterday....knew him all my life......

Anyway went to kiss her and told her ''NO YOU GET TOO PASSIONATE'' AS I RECALL''......''But when Donna kicks me out i'm still moving in.'''.....lol..........even the Grandaughter laughed...lovely lady and great to see her........known her since Infant school........

• Like 1
  • 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 211
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I only wish you had posted them individually. 

My son did some filming here the other day at the grand reopening for a client. (He’s a professional videographer).

He was quite impressed and it’s apparently nice as a tourist attraction.
I have been a frequent visitor there for over 60 years. Taken on there by my mum in a pushchair, as a toddler and later walks around with my wife, son and a nice place to go with my grandchildren. A lifetime of visits. The grounds can now only be entered at the full entrance fee, no facility to just enter the grounds for a walk.
Poor old Arthur Seaton will have to find a different venue to take Brenda or he’ll need more that £14 3 and tuppence a week. I won’t be going often. 

• Like 2

I fail to see what they have that's worth paying £14 to look at, I won't be going again.

I have never been of the ilk which goes looking for excuses to attack Local Govt.  But NCC seem to invite it. 

Another case of failure to recognise an asset when it is staring the Council in the face.  The castle is a draw in itself.  The built in cafe and gift shop could be profitable... entrance fees to the grounds could be charged, but be reasonable and the whole city could benefit economically from visitors.  But I too can't see there being many takers at those prices.

So the cafe etc.. will lose.. as will the city in general.

There is only one thing Nottm City Council do well..and that is.. running a bus service.

• Upvote 1

Col.

You can apparently access the gift shop and cafe without payment. I believe as these are now just behind the traditional Gateway entrance but beyond that is ticket only. 

• Like 1

Well letsav.. if that's true.. it's even more cynical. 

"Want to buy a souvenir of Nottm Castle?  Be our guest!  That'll be 'kerr-ching'"

" What?.. You want to actually see the castle?  (breath drawn through teeth..)  Now that'll cost you!!"

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Is it me or are  the café and picture boards totally out of keeping with the castle? The kids area is also totally out of sympathy with it's surroundings.

The rest of the pics show (admittedly spaces still to be filled),  little worth the admission price...

The last time I was at the Castle was with Chris, to meet up with DJ and Chulla for a roam around, a much enjoyed experience and great company to be with.  Being as my memory doesn't serve me well anymore, I can't be sure how many years have passed since our visit, or how much was the entrance fee. 

I did a bit of silent reminiscing that day with my memories of teenage  visits to the Castle at the week ends, to do a bit of 'Ladding or Talent Spotting' 'I wonder if our paths crossed Benj, I'd like to think they did. Great to sit on the lawns in the sun with SueB. I will cherish my memories of life in Nottingham and those sunny Sat/Sundays.:biggrin:. Sadly, I don't see me going there again, but then again, I think we had the best times to visit the castle.:)

• Like 3

Our paths must of crossed Carnie.........perhaps i was with Brenda or even Shirley up the Castle........maybe you saw me laughing by the ''wishing well'' when my mate thru 'Half a Crown'' in and thought it was a 'Penny'' 

Stood in same place as Albert and Rachel up the Castle (in sat night/Sunday morning.)..when i was introducing 'Donna' to Nottingham......even fell down them Pub Stairs........and got beat up by two brothers of Christine's.......ruined me suit they did........used to love going up the Castle with a date on Thursday half day closing.........The much 'Maligned' ''Nottingham Castle'' holds so many memories for us true 'Nottinghamians'' all happy ones...........

• Like 4
On 6/25/2021 at 4:08 PM, carni said:

The last time I was at the Castle was with Chris, to meet up with DJ and Chulla for a roam around, a much enjoyed experience and great company to be with.  Being as my memory doesn't serve me well anymore, I can't be sure how many years have passed since our visit, or how much was the entrance fee. 

I remember it well Chris.  I spent a week 'house sitting' for my brother, and took the opportunity to do a lot of overdue stuff in Nottm.  For example..I travelled the entire length of the Tram system..seeing parts of Nottingham I'd never seen before..

As to the castle.  I was a bit late turning up that day and arrived at the castle all of a fluster.  I asked the chap on the gate if he'd seen a party of old folks who looked a bit confused.. but he hadn't.  The entrance fee was £5, but I was assured that would last me for six months...  Such a benefit was, to me, about as much use as a chocolate fireguard.. but I paid up.

As I recall, I encountered you and Chris, plus the late lamented Dave (Chulla) up on the Castle terrace.  There is a series of pics on here somewhere that I took that day. It will be in 'members only' somewhere.

We finished by going for a drink and a bite in a pub somewhere below the castle.. though I don't recall exactly which one.

It was a nice day.

• Like 3

Would go to the castle with my friend Wendy  every Sunday, cost to get to Slab Square on the 40/47 trolly bus about 1d then up to the castle, which was tanner/ 6d to get in. It would always backfire on Wendy and myself as it was not the castle we went to see, but to see what boys were about. Sat on the grass watching listning to top 40 on the trannie, for hours never did meet any one though. Back to the 40/47 bus stop then home.  ps talking of the stars who played Robin Hood one name missed out was Richard Todd.

5 hours ago, DJ360 said:

I asked the chap on the gate if he'd seen a party of old folks who looked a bit confused.. but he hadn't.

Ha Ha Cheeky Devil..................True Though.:P

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry if this has already been covered but .. Did anyone see an item on the BBC 'One Show' (which I normally ignore..) about ''Nottingham Catchfly?"

It's a wildflower which was originally common around the Castle but had seemingly disappeared.  Somebody had distributed seeds which locals grew, and the species is now being re-planted in 'the wild'.

I'd never heard of the plant but I looked it up in my 'W Keble Martin's Concise British Flora' and it gets a mention. Latin Name 'Silene Nutans'  It's not exactly an endangered species as it occurs in other areas, mostly in the South and East portion of Britain, as well as Nottinghamshire.  Its other common name is 'Nodding Catchfly'.  The 'Catchfly' bit comes from its habit of closing up at night which can catch unwary insects... or something...  :blink:

https://images.app.goo.gl/DDbyhL3AZno48pZj9

Better pic here:  https://images.app.goo.gl/znjDQFYGxFh2R8Co8

Yes, I saw the programme as well.  Not the prettiest wildflower I’ve ever seen tbh but it was nice to see a bit of Nottingham on the TV

Yes, saw that D.J.
It's been missing from around the Castle, hence the project to restore it there.

I think I've been digging them up for years in my garden, I'm going to watch out for them now.

My garden tends to be "Natural", I only dig out the rampant weeds.

Other 'natural' things I find are, rusty bolts, lumps of iron and in 33 years only 1 broken wagon plate.

A 'weed' is just a plant in the 'wrong' place.

The Nottingham Catchfly is closely related to the White Campion and the Bladder Campion, as well as the Red Campion.

We have loads of Red Campion around here, but I haven't seen any white.

From my yoof, in Nottm, I recall seeing various white flowers which I tended to call 'White Campion'.

• 2 weeks later...

Have a lovely day Tel. Hope you've got your £14s ready.

Don't take any nine bob notes in your change. Enjoy...

10 hours ago, PeverilPeril said:

We are visiting the refurbished castle tomorrow. Anyone been yet?

Promised to take my grandchildren which I will soon as my bank loan comes through. 

• Like 1
On 7/20/2021 at 9:55 PM, PeverilPeril said:

We are visiting the refurbished castle tomorrow. Anyone been yet?

My son has been to do some filming there so not as a customer as such but what he saw he thought was pretty good as a tourist attraction.