Another good idea ‘spending spree’ by Nottingham City Council goes bang, along with Robin Hood Energy, the Old Market Square, the tram.  The Labour Council haven’t a clue ……and never have had…… while ever they are in control our council tax money will be wasted on expensive hair-brain ideas.  We pay the second highest council tax in the country and can’t even get the streets cleaned.  

• Upvote 2
  • Replies 211
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I only wish you had posted them individually. 

34 minutes ago, letsavagoo said:

I don’t know how well this closure was know but I heard staff selling tickets on the premise that ‘you can come back any time for a year’.

Pretty disgusted to be honest. 

Liquidation isn't normally announced in advance, hence people turning up for work to find they're locked out.

I worked for a company that went into liquidation, we were given 2 hrs notice to get home in the company vans / cars before the insurance ran out and the liquidators took over.

I was nearly 3hrs from home..

The Castle was being run by a Charitable Trust, not the City Council. The Trust determined admission prices, and it’s the Trust that has gone into liquidation.

The council still own the Castle and it appears that they will take over control.

https://www.nottinghamcastle.org.uk/about-the-trust/

Only partly.

Most of the £29.4m came from the National Heritage Lottery Fund (£13.9m), D2N2 (£7m), as well as money from Arts Council England, plus fundraising by the Nottingham Castle Trust.

See the source imageTekin me up Castle Arthur?

Not this week Doreen...

Why not luv it up there  ?

Took Brenda yesterday...cost me a fortune.......

Should be free for us locals...

What r bout a rowing boat down 'Embankment?

Tode ya i'm skint till friday.....

• Like 2

I was anall BK.........I was stunt man for Arthur when he fell down 'Pub stairs'' and got beat up by two blokes down 'Fair''............ruined me suit both times...

Doreen still loved me though........:rolleyes:

• Like 3

The group who ran the castle should be thrown into the nearest hole. The Castle is part of our heritage and I am sure if they had put there heads together we would not be in this mess, did they not think ?  Summer have open air play/open markets/ music venues/ weddings / just a few things they could have done. Oh !!!! and how many of us used to visit the castle in summer, looking for girls/boys (when younger of cause)

Obviously, I have not been to the "castle" since the major revamp. 

As a kid Mum and Dad took me many years ago and I was so disappointed, we never went again and we spent most of that day on the Trent Embankment.

Calling it a castle must be against the trade descriptions act, it was just a Victorian house of no particular merit full of old paintings, pottery and costumes. The only bit that looks like a castle was the gatehouse and part of the ramparts.

Looking at the history it was "one of the ruins that the council knocked about a bit"

• Like 1

A castle for defence it certainly was............that is if you ever tried climbing up the 'Rock face' from the ''TRIP'' side..........which is what me and my old friend 'Harry Fewkes' did...whe we were about 10............very difficult but it saved us both a penny.....

Tried to get Brenda and Doreen to do it years later.....but they were having none of it...(Trina and Sandra)......love the Castle and the memories it brings.....hope its soon sorted........

See the source image

• Like 2

Agree with a lot of the comments here. It has been modernised beyond recognition of a castle and feels like there's almost nothing that's original there anymore. In terms of things to do in Nottingham according to Tripadvisor, Primark and the Tram are more noteworthy than the Castle. 

• Like 1

We have visited recently, and I know they have done alot of maintenance work but a real lack of a Robin Hood theme, we was abit underwhelmed by the so called upgrade.

Massive screens inside showing history videos, I really feel they lost the plot and what a real waste of money after lasting just over a year.

3 hours ago, mary1947 said:

The group who ran the castle should be thrown into the nearest hole. The Castle is part of our heritage and I am sure if they had put there heads together we would not be in this mess, did they not think ?  Summer have open air play/open markets/ music venues/ weddings / just a few things they could have done. Oh !!!! and how many of us used to visit the castle in summer, looking for girls/boys (when younger of cause)

Hi Mary, when younger? Oh, that's interesting. Whether it was a boy/girl you were looking for how and old you were! 

I was in my teenage years, Sunday afternoon was the best time to meet.  but it was me and Brenda Wessellbery every Sunday we would pay 6d to get into the castle, but i think we were robbed has we never did meet a fellow. Best place for fellows was the ice rink Saturday afternoon, you see i had been skating for a while and if i saw a young man who was just keeping from falling down I would always go and help him.

How wonderful, Nottingham City Council are going to write off £2.68 million! They’ve been in control for 30 years, time for a change, time for a group of dedicated people who know how to run a business efficiently.  
EDIT:  No doubt ‘somebody’ has done alright out of the Castle Fiasco, and it’s not the council tax payers who will of course see a very large increase come next April.  

• Like 3

I'm sure this is not an original thought but whoever decided the entry charges seems to have looked at the cost of refurbishment and then worked out how much they needed to charge to recover the costs. This of course was the wrong way round. People will not pay over the odds to get the Trust/City Council out of a hole but will compare the cost with other attractions and decide whether it is value for money.

Adrian Jones and Chris Matthews in their book Towns in Britain say the pre-refurbishment castle was the dreariest museum and art gallery you can imagine. From comments here and elsewhere it seems little has changed. The best city museums I know are the Museum of Liverpool, Hull Streetlife Museum and York Castle Museum. They have ditched the old pots and pictures idea in favour of displays people can relate to about industry, sport, entertainment etc and I had hoped Nottingham would produce something similar.

I don't know how Nottingham's council tax compares but the city suffers from covering a very small area for a major city. Most British cities include the outer suburbs within the city boundary, so in Nottingham's case it should really include Arnold, Carlton, West Bridgford, Beeston etc.  The result is that the city has high maintenance (in the financial and literal sense) socio-economic  problems which have to be paid for by a relatively low population. A Greater Nottingham council area would spread the cost. I believe one reason this has not been done is to give each of the district councils roughly the same population.

Brilliant postings by  Benjamin on the SN&SM theme!

• Like 5
  • 5 months later...

The prices certainly seem more sensible and realistic compared with what they previously wanted. 

The ultimate problem is still that the name of the place doesn't match what people expect to see.

• Like 2
  • 1 month later...

Guess what else re opened today too, the Tap and Run at Upper Broughton!

Well done to Stuart Broad and all the team after the fire last year. Will have to go and report back.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1
  • 2 months later...

I went to the Castle today, £12 to get in for all year. The grandkids played on the Hoods hideout play area, as I was waiting near the benches I saw 2 rats running about, when I told staff they said it's OK we know about it.