It was my volunteer day at the castle today and there were 200 Harley Davison bykers there all parked up on the top field near the castle entrance i took some pics if i cannot get them on here can some one help me to do it please if i e-mailed them to one of you could one of you do it for me please?, i will try my self but dont hold your breath lol

• Replies 211
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I only wish you had posted them individually. 

A dream of mine there too Katy. I couldn't talk SWMBO into driving a Winibego with her and the kids in it behind though, Fraid it's gone for a good few years now!

... The Germans apparently love to rent Harleys over here...

A few years back I met a guy in Florida who rented out Harleys - as noted, most often to Germans (lots of them in FL at that time due to the exchange rates). Anyhow, despite the very high rental rates, he told me the Germans were driving him out of business because everytime he rented to them, he would have to replace the clutch on the bike! The Germans are so used to riding high-revving bikes, they would slip the Harley clutch to get it moving - which rapidly wears them out!

I still have no idea what the attraction of Harleys is - 50 year old technology, low on power, make sure you have a good dental plan, and they have to put all those do-dads on 'em to make them look different! The cost of them is also extortionate next to a good Japanese, or even European, bike! Heck, my 30 year-old KZ (for which I paid $400) will run rings around a $20,000 Harley!

It's just the "I don't want to go too fast, I want to be able to see the scenery, but want to look cool whilst I'm doing it routine" I'd much rather cruise along at 50 mph with SWMBO able to keep up rather than wanging off at 90/100 and having to wait every 10 miles for her to catch up.

There's also a lot to be said about the added comfort of a nice wide saddle when you're a bit "Broad in the beam" as I am!!

Sorry Beefy, but "comfort" and "Harley" are not words that go well together. You will find that the "laid back" look becomes very uncomfortable after about 50 miles - and absolutely murders your back - also the foot position prevents you shifting your weight. Add in the fact they shake like the dickens and... I'll take my GTR1000 thank you - comfortable to cruise all day - and as happy at 30mph as it is at 80+ (better MPG too!)

Damn , that means I'm going to have to drag out my old "Gold Wing" failing that it'll be the "Fire Blade" can't make up my mind which..................LOL

• 3 years later...

On a recent visit to the 'Great City' we decided to go to the castle, as it has been many years since my last visit it was a surprise to find the freedom of just walking around freely had been replaced by a walled in walk with the history displayed on these partitions. Very interesting to anyone visiting for the first time and not knowing what it was like in 'The Olden Days'. I found it a little claustrophobic and as the air conditioning wasn't doing a very good job we had to find an exit door quickly.I wondered if we had come out to soon and missed the open rooms that i remember from my past. Has anyone been recently and would know if the rooms are still open to the public. We are looking forward to another visit, it was a pleasure walking around the gardens and to see the view from the Castle walls again. So many happy :) memories for me. :)

• 4 months later...

dont know if its changed recently but it used to be free for city card owners but if you live in the county you have to pay as i say i have not been for the last couple of years but intend going when the weather is better emilyhope that helps you a little but i all so think they have a website that should give you more information and welcome to the site emily

babs

Bit of a change to the late 50s when I seem to remember it was free entry and about two bob to do the caves.

Five and a half quid or fifteen for a family seems a bit steep; especially if the cave tour is extra

• Upvote 1

#6 Used to like taking my girlfriends there in the early 60s, because it was free. Sit under the trees on the benches, in the sunshine. What more would a girl want? I was a very romantic person in my early days, but cheap. Glad there were no Mac donalds around in those days. people waste too much time in those places now, they don't really get out and experience the real world as we used to do. I actually miss the castle, would love to go back one day. Things are changing so much now, place want money for everything. Gone are the days of a cheap day out.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

I find it incredible that they charge so much to get into the castle,does that include afternoon tea with the 'Lord Mayor'?

The last time I went,it was a penny to go through the turnstile.

I think Wollaton Hall is still free, but the industrial museum isn't. It is a couple of quid I believe , but very informative .

The Castle is £5.50 for non-city residents, but even city residents pay £1. This used to include entry to Brewhouse Yard Museum (behind the Trip to Jerusalem) but that's now closed most of the time. Like other posters have said, the Castle grounds hold many memories of courting and days out with the kids, or just somewhere to sit and spend a quiet hour away from the City Centre. By the way - closed on Mondays!

Wollaton Hall is free entry, but parking is a minimum of £2. I don't mind that, because you get the run of the beautiful parklands too. If you've not been for a while, you now get access to some of the living quarters of the Willoughby family, refurbished to look like they would have way back when. Not sure about the Industrial Museum, it closed down a few years ago but there were rumours of it reopening and I've not been for a year or so.

Trevor S - The Horse Stables buildings are still there, but not the horses since the Police did away with the bobbies on horseback and the gorilla is still there too - not as big as it seemed when I was a nipper and looking a bit moth-eaten after all these years!

• Upvote 1

It would be alright if it were a proper castle

But castle it aint it is just an old stately home that was owned by the Duke of Newcastle

The best trhing that happened to it was when it was "torched" in 1831 :)

Me & Mrs Catfan went on a behind the scenes tour of wollaton hall last year. Think the cost may have been about a fiver a piece but was well worth it.

I worked alongside the Tower of London years ago...They were looking for an alternative venue for the Royal Armouries Collection.They searched the country for the ideal site...Wollaton Hall came up...but the Council wouldn't consider the cost that it would take to reinforce the floors and modernise the facilities to put Wollaton Hall on the map for tourism in Nottingham.

Other sites in Warwick and York were looked at that would draw the mega money from tourists.In the end the decision was made to move most of the collection to a site whos name would be recognised by the millions of prospective tourists world wide.....Leeds :biggrin:

It would be alright if it were a proper castle

But castle it aint it is just an old stately home that was owned by the Duke of Newcastle

The best trhing that happened to it was when it was "torched" in 1831 :)

And it was abandoned and left empty for many years previous to that.The Dook didn't need the place by then seeing as him and the Dook of Portland owned half of Nottinghamshire. Aint it grand to be rich? By the way the Corporation don't own it....it's on a 500 year lease...It still belongs to the Dooks lot.

• Upvote 1