Never knew Newark and Nottingham were at war with each other. You learn summat everyday.:sorry:

19 hours ago, Beekay said:

Just seen that film today, 13th march. It was on film 4 at 11.00am. Also starred Cornele Wilde, Charlton Heston and James Stewart. Beekaythumbsup

Wish I had seen it.

1 hour ago, philmayfield said:

except Nottingham Castle isn't really a castle

What is it then Phil ?

It's a con for American tourists

Rog

How many of them do we get in Nottingham Rog ?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Waddo said:

How many of them do we get in Nottingham Rog ?

I remember two in 1978 and three more in 1982, (but I think they were lost).

• Like 2

I would have thought that William the conqueror would have built a castle! Not some fancy mansion. Unless he worked for wimpey!

Just had a conflab with Mr g oogle, and even he says it's a castle, as well as a ducal mansion.

Would've thought they could have come up with a better shape than square. Not much imagination there.

There is more mass in a square than other shapes of the same dimension, bigger is better most of the time!!

Now you're splitting hairs Waddo. Take a look at Bodium castle, now that's a castle ! It was a ruin before the Americans started their history, thanks to Cromwell.

Please define a castle, i know it probably doesn't mean the same today, but years ago it was, "an English man's home is his castle" I would take that as a castle is what you felt secure in!!

The walls were about 8ft thick, I'm sure I would have felt secure in that. Bodium never saw any action though, first shot fired and they surrendered.

4 minutes ago, Beekay said:

Now you're splitting hairs Waddo

Not splitting hairs, but if every article you read about it, refers to it as a castle and not a mansion who are we to argue? Why wasn't if renamed, after the fire Nottingham hall/abbey/house or something. If your house burnt down, they would build another house, theoretically!

2 minutes ago, philmayfield said:

Wikipedia is your friend here.

Where's his castle ??

3 minutes ago, Waddo said:

Not splitting hairs, but if every article you read about it, refers to it as a castle and not a mansion who are we to argue? Why wasn't if renamed, after the fire Nottingham hall/abbey/house or something. If your house burnt down, they would build another house, theoretically!

Yes, but it wouldn't be called "Mayfield Castle". More likely "Mayfield Bungalow".

Hey Phil, we've got a Mayfield near us. It's off the A267, on the way to Tunbridge Wells. A beautiful village !! B.

Yes, and it's got a VOR. A very high frequency omnidirectional radio range beacon. Helps to guide the aeroplanes. Look for a big circular standing aerial with lots of uprights looking like lamps.

Where's the castle?

Rog

Whilst the current edifice may indeed be underwhelming, it is still quite legitimate to call Nottingham Castle a castle. Historic ruins are still referred to as their original function, even if there is little left of the original.

There are some small parts of the original castle left, the site is still the same, it certainly resembles a castle even if the main building is a mansion. It's called Nottingham Castle so isn't that enough?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, plantfit said:

Where's the castle?

Rog

I'm stood on the ramparts looking out.:Shock:

• Like 1