You’ll get more exact info from Wiki Ian.  All I remember from his early days (in the 60s) was that he’s a Beeston lad and worked in the Birdcage boutique on Bridlesmith Gate and then opened his own tiny shop on Byard Lane, up a narrow rickety staircase.  It was from there that he made me a fabulous pair of navy gabardine wool trousers. I could never buy trousers to fit me properly,  all the off the shelf ones were too short, I wish I still had them.   Surprised you’ve not heard of him, he has shops all over the World and is almost as famous as Robin Hood! 

• Like 2
  • 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I only wish you had posted them individually. 

Just spent 10 minutes reading the reviews on trip advisor. It’s being slated by almost everyone as poor value and can’t see where £30 million has gone and not worth going. It will cost about us about £60 to take the grandchildren and do the tours and given the reviews I’ve decided I’m not going. I always enjoyed going to the castle and it’s a shame that the grounds can’t be made accessible at a reasonable cost. Another cock up by the City Council to add to their list of cock ups.

• Like 1

What a shame that one of our treasures is so expensive .....it was part of being a Nottingham born and bred person......we took pride in showing visitors part of our heritage.......

Grandma took me...as did my mother...days i'll never forget.....went with my mates from school.......took many girlfriends and children and Grandkids......it was just a special place like the 'Embankment' and 'Slab Square''

Thursday half day dates..

Wanna goo up Castle Duck ?

Goo on then......

Fancy cup a Tea Duck?

Goo on then.......

Shall we stand where Arthur and Brenda stood..when she told him she was Pregnant?

Goo on then......

Want a Drink in ''Salutation''?

Can i have a Quantro ? (sp)

No they 4/6,,,hev a Babycham only 1/6.....

Goo on then......Two Cherries though......

My pleasure Doreen..........

• Like 1

The grounds were the best part of the entire place. I have many old black and white photos of my parents, my sister and myself taken there in the late 50s and early 60s.

The place had no atmosphere. No sense of history. A bit of a non entity, really.  It's not surprising. In the context of Nottingham history, it's a young building!

The caves were far more interesting but, apart from a school trip there around 1966, I don't remember them being open to the public.

Norwich Castle beats it by a country mile. A lot more interesting and a lot more to see. You can pay to go on a tour but mostly it's  free. Nice little cafeteria too !

I think just about anywhere beats it, Beekay. Lincoln, which is grisly but very atmospheric; Berkeley in Gloucestershire is equally grisly and atmospheric. Even ruins such as Scarborough or Helmsley are much more engaging.

The history of England is reflected in its castles. Ours hasn't lived...apart from witnessing Ben and his multitude of girlfriends!

• Like 1

When I worked as a warden at Bodiam Castle (Nat.Trust) we always used to say it was England's biggest children's adventure playground. We used to take delight in telling our American visitors that Bodiam was a ruin 200 years before their history really started. All thanks to Mr. Cromwell.

One of the best castles I've been to is Conwy near Llandudno. A proper castle, not ruined or modified, and you can walk around on the outer walls and look at the town.

• Like 1

Nottingham Castle was destroyed by the Roundheads after the Civil War, rebuilt as a mansion and burnt down by rioters, the good citizens of Nottingham. The one you see now was a comprehensive rebuild in the C19. Its principal claim to fame, I believe, is that it was the first purpose-built public art gallery and museum outside London. It is a significant work of T C Hine, the major architect of Victorian Nottingham. Therefore the building has considerable historic interest, but not as a castle.

• Like 1

Well only yesterday I looking at Trip advisor Reviews of the Castle and made a post about it and today found this open letter which I will attach below. Let’s hope that change comes soon. Looks like the CEO of the Nottingham Castle Trust has deserted the ship leaving it £30,000,000 lighter.  

QUOTE.

Call for Nottingham Castle's ticket prices to be reviewed - and a name change - after raft of bad TripAdvisor reviews

Trustees agree lessons need to be learned from the first two months of reopening

One of Nottingham's leading tourism businesses has called for the pricing structure at Nottingham Castle to be rethought - and has suggested a more realistic name change.

In an open letter to the castle trustees, Simon Unsworth from the Nottingham Ghost Walk said: "From the outset, let me say that we, along with every other business in Nottingham that has any reliance on tourism, however small, want Nottingham Castle to be a success and to drive business into our city. A thriving and popular Nottingham Castle can only be of benefit to us all."

Mr Unsworth spoke out following the departure of Sara Blair-Manning, CEO Nottingham Castle Trust, who oversaw the castle's £30m regeneration.

He said: "With the departure of the chief executive, complaints of racism and a raft of truly atrocious reviews on TripAdvisor, something has clearly gone wrong and this needs to be addressed quickly.

"That said, in my view, the situation can be remedied, and the castle’s current misfortunes turned around, but the mistakes made must be recognised by its management and taken ownership of."

Mr Unsworth said the people of Nottingham should feel they have a sense of ownership of the castle and that the castle needs locals to support it if it is to be a success but the newly introduced pricing structure has put paid to that.

He said: "For years people have been able to access the castle grounds either for free or for a nominal payment. I myself, along with many of my friends, have happy memories of relaxing in the castle grounds, maybe over lunchtime or on a sunny weekend.

"With the standard admission price of £13, this is no longer possible. What the management at the castle seemed to have forgotten is that, once the tourists have all gone home, it is the people of Nottingham who are its only remaining customers. With this in mind, the castle needs to review its pricing structure.

"They need to go back to allowing free access to the castle grounds for those living locally and a nominal price for others. By doing this, people can enjoy the castle grounds, as they have done for many years and have the option to use the castle’s cafe and gift shop, all of which would bring in revenue which would not otherwise be there, under the current pricing structure."

He said access to the castle, caves and other attractions within the grounds could be charged separately allowing the castle to gain extra revenue without without losing out on visitors who want to enjoy its full range of facilities.

Another suggestion is to change the name to avoid the disappointment of visitors expecting a real castle.

"As we all know and as is highlighted in the numerous negative reviews on TripAdvisor, it is not a castle, so why try to sell it as a castle? What is wrong with calling it what it is; Nottingham Ducal Mansion and Museum? This is an accurate description and that is what people would expect when visiting it.

"To think that it could ever rival the other great castles of Britain, such as Warwick, Conwy or Bamburgh, to name but three, is pure fantasy. To draw such comparisons only diminishes it further and, in some ways, diminishes Nottingham by comparison too."

His final issue concerns consultation, claiming that development was in isolation from other existing tourism businesses in the city.

"Tourism works best when it is joined up. In other words, visitors need to know that, when they visit a city, like Nottingham, there will be plenty for them to do.”

• Like 4

I'd suggest that Nottingham Castle Rock, might be a better and more easily understandable title.

The rock, and the views it affords, are as much of an attraction as the Museum and the grounds in general.  And of course they should go back to the older system of a moderate entrance fee, and a separate 'deal' for exploring 'Mortimer's Hole' etc.. as it was for decades.

I'm mystified as to how they spent £30 million.  On what exactly?  I'd like to see an audit trail for all that cash.  It could be very revealing.

• Like 1

Even Skegness got a proper castle :angry2:

E-DoU5xWEAAzRq2?format=jpg&name=large

• Like 1
8 hours ago, DJ360 said:

I'm mystified as to how they spent £30 million.  On what exactly?  I'd like to see an audit trail for all that cash.  It could be very revealing.

The council seem to have a penchant for high end spending with low end results. The awful, unsympathetic square cost £17 million. Was it really necessary? is it a facility people make use of it the way the used to? or just a big boring thoroughfare

I realise I'm a dinosaur now days but taking grand kids for instance, with travel, parking and  snacks  etc must be  close to £100 for an afternoon at the castle - seems excessive to me, especially when we consider that the British Museum is free.

• Like 2

I suspect a lot of the money will have gone to consultants and advisers - people who are not actually connected to the real world. They will be the people who suggested what should be done - and how much the punters should be charged for the privilege of seeing the results of those decisions.

I doubt if anyone on the council made had much say about what was done, apart from the decision to pay consultation fees to others.

• Upvote 1

I always wonder how schemes like this start. Someone must at some point say "I know lets knock down the market square and create a modern,  minimalist replacement. It will be totally out of keeping in an area surrounded by Victorian buildings but it's a bargain at £17 million."

• Upvote 1

The lady in charge worked for the Natural Trust and while she may be very nice I doubt she has an "enterpreneurial" bone in her body. And when you combine that with Ted Cantle (one of the high priests of wokedom in the UK) you have the recipe for the current omnishambles.

And anyway, whatever happened to Bob White and the Sheriff's Commission all those years ago? Was it crushed by the wobbly N?

11 hours ago, Cliff Ton said:

I suspect a lot of the money will have gone to consultants and advisers - people who are not actually connected to the real world. They will be the people who suggested what should be done - and how much the punters should be charged for the privilege of seeing the results of those decisions.

I doubt if anyone on the council made had much say about what was done, apart from the decision to pay consultation fees to others.

11 hours ago, philmayfield said:

‘Piss up’ and ‘brewery’ come to mind when observing the doings of the Nottingham City Council.

Well it’s been a Labour Council for too many years, we City residents have the highest Council Tax bill in the country and that’s before the latest bombshell of the district heating company in trouble and needing £17.5m to upgrade the facilities.   Nottingham City needs to recruit proven businessmen (and women) to take the reins rather than ‘career councillors’ who don’t  know how to ‘run a brewery’

• Like 1

Perhaps if they stopped dreaming up grandiose schemes and concentrated on simple routine, business people might not be necessary and the council would not be hemorrhaging money.

• Like 1
23 hours ago, LizzieM said:

Well it’s been a Labour Council for too many years, we City residents have the highest Council Tax bill in the country and that’s before the latest bombshell of the district heating company in trouble and needing £17.5m to upgrade the facilities.   Nottingham City needs to recruit proven businessmen (and women) to take the reins rather than ‘career councillors’ who don’t  know how to ‘run a brewery’

It's chicken and egg. In the days of the old city corporation if you were a councillor or alderman you could sit on committees that dealt with education (including higher), water supply and sewerage, police, fire, ambulance, public transport, social services, public health, council housing, highways, and. before nationalisation gas and electricity supplies. Over the years central government has removed more and more powers and either centralised them or given them to appointed quangos - councillors nowadays are just a bit of democratic window dressing and that must affect the calibre of those standing for election.

There were plans to expand the Eastwood Incinerator 20 years ago which would have addresseed the capacity constraints but there was opposition from those who had naive faith in recycling.  And while £17.5 million sounds a lot, a Premier League football club would drop that on a single player without thinking. And in the context of the local economy (amortised over several years) it's not big bucks - especially when you compare it with the tens of billions HMG has hosed on the COVID crisis with lots of very questionable supplier deals.

2 hours ago, bamber said:

And while £17.5 million sounds a lot, a Premier League football club would drop that on a single player without thinking. And in the context of the local economy (amortised over several years) it's not big bucks - especially when you compare it with the tens of billions HMG has hosed on the COVID crisis with lots of very questionable supplier deals.

The football analogy is not really relevant, they're not dipping in the public purse.

In the round we're looking at lord knows how much to refurbish Eastcroft, £17 million for the square, £30 million for the castle, £560 million for the tram, another £200 million for the proposed Kimberley link plus losses of almost a £1million a WEEK.

Add to that the  proposed  battery tram at a cost of £2.3 BILLION (over £46 million per mile),  It's no wonder the county jumped ship and Broxtowe wants nothing to do with it. Amortise that lot and the final total will make your eyes water!

Are taxpayers really getting good value? How is fair to compare a national (Covid) expenditure with that of a local council? of course the numbers will be bigger and proves... well not a lot really.

Raising questions about dodgy suppliers brings to mind Cllr Robinson who was allowed to resign after admitting his nefarious actions when trying to force through the Derby  planning application - he should have been prosecuted and all his council dealings investigated - but that's politics for you.

• Like 1

Far be it from me want to defend the council but to be fair the recent castle refurbishment was funded in part by the heritage lottery fund and a local business enterprise scheme. I cannot find a breakdown of how much money was paid by all those involved but I dare say the rate payers portion was/will be substantial. 
Moving on I don’t know what the cost of having ‘clippies’ on the trams to take fares was but they have been withdrawn and it’s a matter of honesty now to pay for your journey with the occasional and very rare spot checks by inspectors to catch fare dodgers. I wonder how many actually pay for their journey especially shorter runs. I don’t use the trams a great deal but I haven’t seen an inspector for ages.