Anyone interested in Tractors

After the ball..... what a sad song!    The words I remember singing were definitely a parody!!

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I used to be, but now I'm an extractor fan.

Well blow me down !!!

This site’s starting to look like ‘The Farmers Weekly’ ! 

We had this useful little Kubota tractor for many years.  

AB4797-AF-A251-42-D2-B9-F5-D46-E07-BF97- Then as our youngest developed an interest in all things mechanical we acquired a 1946 MF tractor, with an American engine.  It turned out to be quite a big renovation project, can’t find a pic of the finished article unfortunately.  Sold it when we moved up here, not much call for a vintage tractor in the Nottingham suburbs.

0-EE332-F2-FC58-485-B-9676-981-B547-F02-

• Like 1
On 3/7/2019 at 1:07 PM, denshaw said:

I used to be, but now I'm an extractor fan.

Well blow me down !!!

• Like 4
  • 1 month later...

Remember reading an article in a motoring magazine that tractors needed extra strong brakes because having big wheels on the back & small on the front  it'd be constantly trying to runaway downhill, I was trying to work this out when I noticed it was the 1'st of April edition, lol... 

• Like 1

I've never had any problems with my tractors on steep hills, being low speed and diesel engine I don't even have to touch the brakes. From what I gather, the brakes are pretty small at side of a cars, and what I can't understand is how brakes work bathed in oil???  Yes, mine are what are called "wet brakes", situated inside the transmission case.

• Like 1
  • 4 months later...

I remember yabbering to a vintage tractor owner at a traction engine rally, he demonstrated a cold start: He started & then warmed it up on petrol, then switched over to paraffin where it ran perfectly, the exhaust was a bit smelly though, was like the old paraffin heater we had when I was a kid. Paraffin was then cheaper than petrol, not sure if it still is though...

I have a 1952 Ferguson TED tractor which is the petrol/paraffin version. The paraffin is actually TVO, tractor vaporising oil, which is essentially paraffin with a few other ingredients thrown in to make a witches' brew! It has a split fuel tank with the smaller section being for petrol and the main section for paraffin and there is a change over valve. After warming up on petrol to bring the temperature up to where the paraffin will vaporise the engine is turned over to paraffin which is cheaper and duty free. There was enough paraffin in the tank to do a day's ploughing and it was turned back to petrol before switching off. TVO can still be obtained in small quantities for the purists but generally, at ploughing matches and shows, petrol is generally used nowadays. The four cylinder block is basically that of a Standard Vanguard and it has a very low compression ratio of around 6:1. I had mine on show this year for the village open gardens and it was running well once the gunge had been cleaned from the carb. I do have a more modern 1962 Ford Dexta which runs on diesel but I haven't started that up for about four years and it's looking a bit sorry for itself now. 

• Like 1

I once ran a Thames Trader pantechnicon from Liverpool to Ilkeston using paraffin, apart from the white smoke when it started the wasn't much if any difference in the way it ran.

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...

They have electric bikes, cars, buses, vans, trains & trams, but I've never heard of an electric tractor. I'm thinking they'd be impractical with them chugging up & down fields pulling farm gubbins all day, if they run out of juice & conk out in the middle of a muddy field you can't just take a can of diesel/petrol/paraffin & away you go again. Maybe they could tow a generator behind them to charge their batteries up, yeah that's a good idea init. Oh. Wait... 

A solar panel on the roof maybe !

• Like 1
  • 3 years later...

Here's a bit of a beast I saw a few months ago at a vintage show, looks a right finger trapper with all them chains

DSCF1421-2.jpg

Rog

• Like 2
15 hours ago, plantfit said:

Here's a bit of a beast I saw a few months ago at a vintage show, looks a right finger trapper with all them chains

A Howard Trencher? Form follows function. It looks very functional.

Below:

Marvellous things, tractors. Here's one demonstrating the lethal open  square wheels principle similar to those shown above, we can sort of see how they work but difficult to describe it to someone, say,  over the phone.

I woke up this morning to the sound of a large tractor. It was the farming man from nearby Morton cutting our field hedges. I wanted the leylandii hedge up the drive topping as well to save me the trouble so my wife rushed out to open the gate (I was getting into the shower at the time!) He’s made a superb job of the hedges and we’re looking very tidy once again. She delved into my wallet and gave him a generous tip!

At 12/13 years of age, I drove two grey Ferguson's harrowing and rolling fields around Old Dalby. Pleasant on sunny days but miserable in the rain with no cab, of course, only sacking tied around the shoulders.

Dalby would be a good place to live near to Nottingham but not in Nottingham itself. Wished I had gone to Aus in 1963 with my friends from work. Frank Fairholm who lived in the Meadows just off Cremorne Street.

33 minutes ago, Willow wilson said:

A Howard Trencher? Form follows function. It looks very functional.

Below:

Marvellous things, tractors. Here's one demonstrating the lethal open  square wheels principle similar to those shown above, we can sort of see how they work but difficult to describe it to someone, say,  over the phone.

Thats the name I was trying to think of, I was talking to the guy who was driving the one at out vintage show and he seemed very knowledgeable about it, it drove very well around the show ring though, but the trenching tool on the back looked lethal going around and to stop it he had to get off the tractor and operate the levers at the side of it, 

Rog

Rog

5 hours ago, philmayfield said:

If only I had the spare time! :(

I know exactly what you mean there, don't know how I found time to go to work what with jobs around the house, my model building, restoring my old bicycles, cooking dinner and a bit of baking, down the farmyard with the gun, delivering the local village magazine, serving tea and coffee in the village hall, etc etc

Rog