I agree Kath it's mostly men's voices but also happens with womens voices.What I've put it down to is habit. We've been hearing Italian in so many different dialects and we're used to it. So along comes a film that's a bit different , speech wise, and we don't catch every word. I also agree with DJ 360 the old films are more clear but sometimes even they slur.

Funny too we can start to watch a film and don't understand what it's about as we can't catch a single word and then we both say is it English or Italian. Again we expect to watch a popular or famous film, sit down comfortably and after a few minutes expecting an Italian film in original language and trying for all we're worth to understand we realize it's in English.

Even though I understand and speak Italian I find when watching Italian films dubbed into English , I try to match their words to their mouths and miss half the story. Sometimes the dubbing isn't the correct translation.

I would love to watch Montalbano in English ( dubbed) it's fantastic in Sicilian and some of the expressions I have to ask my husband what they are. ( he's Sicilian) I don't think the story's would have the same effect though in English)( I only know how to pronounce a handful of words and expressions but I do understand it)

• Replies 252
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Not on Talking Pictures, but on one of the other old TV channels........   The other day I was watching an old episode of Last of the Summer Wine, from around 1977-78. It was always billed a

This one does!!

Watching Expresso Bongo""1959,, Some great familiar names and faces,,Laurence Harvey brilliant as a london Jew boy,,trying to promote acts,,including Cliff Richard,,Harvey does a brilliant jive,,

DJ. Your last paragraph sounds like Renzi speaking English. Sure his interview will be on you tube. It's so funny.

• Like 1
  • 2 years later...
On 7/23/2019 at 8:32 PM, benjamin1945 said:

Public eye starting,,are you all watching,,think he'll put the kettle on tonight,, lol

Talking Pictures are starting showing them again this evening at 8pm.

• Like 1

Thanks CT...........just enjoyed 'Public Eye'......one id not seen before from 1969......Frank didnt put the Kettle on......but it did go into detail of him preparing for a wet shave''..........filmed in Brighton one of my favourite places...spent some time there a few years ago...brought back some 'Magic Memories''..........

Its much easier to commit Adultery if your'e Married''''

Yes...a big favourite of mine......'''RUMPOLE IS BACK''

Love the series...watched it last night....

'''Is that you Rumpole ?

'' No..its the local 'Blacksmith...come to read your Gas Metre'':biggrin:

On 6/28/2023 at 9:12 PM, benjamin1945 said:

......just enjoyed 'Public Eye'......one id not seen before from 1969......

I was surprised to find how many series had been made; 7 all together. It started earlier than I'd realised.  The one this week was Episode 1 - Series 4.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Public_Eye_episodes

I'm equally surprised. I thought the last one was Episode 1, Series 1. I don't think I have ever seen any earlier ones.

• 5 months later...

Just watching ''Brief Encounter'''1945 with Celia Johnson.and..Trevor Howard....and just spotted Ireni Handl playing a ''Cello'' in an unspeaking part....real old classic this....

Many years ago had an encounter with a Celia...but it wasn't Brief....:wacko:

• Like 2

Carnforth station still is a station......but its also a vistors centre for ''Brief Encounter''.......with lots of original features..from 1945.....including the clock shown here..........Brief Encounter Film Locations at Carnforth Station, Lancashire | almostginger.com

• 5 weeks later...

Watched Rumpole last night.......excellent as usual..........''Her who must be obeyed'' fancied going on a cruise.............Rumpole said...theres no way youll get me on a cruise......next scene he's walking behind 'Hilda'' on the top deck...brilliant...............

Watched the 1984 Miners strike.

Brought back memories as got caught up in it.

( Got caught in the 70s one as well. When I were at SPD).

On 12/27/2023 at 12:34 AM, benjamin1945 said:

Carnforth station still is a station......but its also a vistors centre for ''Brief Encounter''.......with lots of original features..from 1945.

Wasn't Widnes Station where Paul Simon was supposed to have written Homeward Bound?

Image from Wikipedia

300px-Widnes_railway_station.jpg

• Like 1
10 hours ago, Beekay said:

Watched the 1984 Miners strike.

Brought back memories as got caught up in it.

( Got caught in the 70s one as well. When I were at SPD).

Was that on Free to air TV Beekay? If so, I hope we get it here. If it was a streaming service, which one? I would like to watch that.

Incidentally it was the 70's strikes that made me finally decide to emigrate to OZ thinking "we gotta get out of this place" cue for song.

Hey up Oz., the programe was on Channel 4 on Freeview.

Don't know how your tv system works, but it was on the main channels. It's on Thursday nights and in three parts.

You should be able to get it on Internet All4 app.

Your servant sir...

( last night was about Shirebrook colliery).

Widnes station is supposed to have been where Paul Simon wrote Homeward Bound. Love that song, on my playlist along with lots of others of his and Art’s. 

2 hours ago, MRS B said:

Widnes station is supposed to have been where Paul Simon wrote Homeward Bound.

Some think it was more likely to be Ditton Railway Station as he was going to London rather than Widnes. However there were plaques at Widnes commemorating the writing of the song but they were stolen. 

Starting next Monday evening at 18.30 (and every following Monday) on Talking pictures, Jack Hargreaves "Out of town", well worth watching if you like the old ways things were done

Rog

Jack Hargreaves was one of the three presenters of How! which I liked to watch as a child. Fred Dineage and another chap whose name I forget although I can see his face. **. One of them reportedly blew himself up in his shed after an experiment at home went wrong.

** Jon Miller

• Like 1

I think Bunty James joined later on. There were only the three males when I used to watch it. It was Jack Hargreaves' brainchild. He felt that educational programmes could be presented in an entertainment format. Beats the hell out of Teletubbies!

• Like 1