I remember a sketch from "I'm sorry I'lll read that again" about three toed sloths. It was the question of if you threw a stone into a bucket of three toed sloths - did the ripples still travel outwards?

Still catching up with Gideon's Way from TP. I set the machine to record the lot whilst I was away. Only nine left to watch now.

• Replies 252
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Not on Talking Pictures, but on one of the other old TV channels........   The other day I was watching an old episode of Last of the Summer Wine, from around 1977-78. It was always billed a

This one does!!

Watching Expresso Bongo""1959,, Some great familiar names and faces,,Laurence Harvey brilliant as a london Jew boy,,trying to promote acts,,including Cliff Richard,,Harvey does a brilliant jive,,

Not on Talking Pictures, but on one of the other old TV channels........

The other day I was watching an old episode of Last of the Summer Wine, from around 1977-78. It was always billed as a comedy about three old men messing around. I had a shock when I realised that all the characters (Norman Clegg, Foggy Dewhurst, and Compo) in that episode were several years younger than I am now.

• Like 6
  • Upvote 1

And all no longer with us CT, always make a point of watching it every weekday evening at 19.20,good clean entertainment

Rog

Heard today that an old lady had been knocked over by a cyclist. The old lady is fine , no injuries so I think she'll live for her 69 th birthday.

Are we all old over 60?

• Like 1

No Nonna,not old just mature but, like a good cheese or wine some are more mature than others  slywink

Rog

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

You better make first move,,or we be here all night,,

Terrence Stamp to Carol White,,

Poor Cow,,1967,,

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/14/2019 at 4:51 PM, benjamin1945 said:

THE SMALLEST SHOW ON EARTH,, 

1957,, Bill Travers,,Virginia MCcenna,,Peter Sellars,,  

All about an old Cinema,, The Biju. In Loughborough.,, lol

I must be mad or sad,,,just watched it again,, funny thing is ,not the Biju in (s)Loughborough,,,but the Victory cinema Loughborough,,,well,,, buried on the back garden of the house i grew up in on Bestwood Estate is the Steel sign from there measuring about 3ftxift,,,,Victory cinema''........its a long story i won't bore you with the details,,suffice to say it got to Bestwood Estate via being tied to the back of my Scooter with Christine sat on it,,in about 1963......wonder if Christine remembers ?........lol

• Like 4

Saw that film as well Ben, good old fashioned family entertainment, it was on the other week and I watched that too, bout the best tv channel thats on at the moment

Rog

• Like 1

Good un on tonight nine o clock,Boys from Brazil,Gregory Peck,Lawrence Olivier,James Mason, very thought provoking

Rog

31 minutes ago, benjamin1945 said:

,,but the Victory cinema Loughborough,,,well,,, buried on the back garden of the house i grew up in on Bestwood Estate is the Steel sign from there measuring about 3ftxift,,,,Victory cinema''.....

I know Loughborough fairly well, and I've been to a cinema there, but couldn't have told you which one until I looked it up. It was the Odeon, and it's still there and still operating (just off the market place).

Digging around for the Victory produces this.

OEZoPcF.jpg

Demolished apparently in 1967. Presumably because somebody nicked the sign.

• Like 2

Thats brilliant Cliff ton,, memory gets a bit hazy from over 50years since,,bet it left a longer impression on Christine,,lol,

Oh Jill,,the budgie in Peterborough,, will tell you when we meet again ;-) 

Loughborough,,not a place I've had a lot to do with,, i thought,,

Then memories again kick in,, Marsdens,i think in the market place,worked a bit there about 1963,,also recall an excellent Chinese restaurant, plus playing football against Brush sports,,and a couple of dates with a girl from nearby Mountsorrel,, she worked in a Mace shop,,forgot her name though,, 

48 minutes ago, benjamin1945 said:

Loughborough,,not a place I've had a lot to do with,, i thought,,     Then memories again kick in,, Marsdens,i think in the market place,worked a bit there about 1963,

A photo taken in the 50s in Loughborough market place to highlight local taxis; but look at the shops in the background.

y87UnFz.jpg

• Like 2

magic cliff ton.......must be a bit before i worked there,,but thats the place,,reckon when Marsdens was a ''stand alone company'' Loughborough must have been the most southerly branch.

I was 'relief manager' and caught the train there on the first day,,but the branch had its own transport a nice little van,,which i used for the duration.

Amazing how things come back to you..........bloke i met there who also used the Van was a certain Eddie Gray,,cousin or nephew of Billy Gray the great Forest 'Stalwart' from the 50s and 60s.......think Billy in later years owned a Car sales place on Raleigh island,,,had a nice chat with him in Strelley Coop.

That photo shows something in Loughborough which I'll bet never had a Nottingham equivalent..... you've got a consecutive run of Dewhurst, Freeman Hardy Willis, and Marsdens. And over on the left on the furthest sunblind you can see the name Maypole. Where else could you find so many traditional shops so close together ?

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

When i managed Long Eaton Marsdens in 66,, next door one side was Fine Fare and the other side Coombs cobblers,,then Meadow Dairy next to Home and Colonial i think,,or Masons.

On 4/5/2019 at 7:02 PM, Cliff Ton said:

The other day I was watching an old episode of Last of the Summer Wine, from around 1977-78. It was always billed as a comedy about three old men messing around. I had a shock when I realised that all the characters (Norman Clegg, Foggy Dewhurst, and Compo) in that episode were several years younger than I am now.

One of my favourite programmes of all time,,.......thought it was nice but at the same time sad that,,,Bill Owen and Peter Sallis decided and are buried in Holmfirth...............i worked in the Coop a couple of times there,, even the lifters were funny...................and one of the staff was a dead ringer for Marina,,,

• Like 3
  • Upvote 2
  • 2 months later...

Watching Expresso Bongo""1959,,

Some great familiar names and faces,,Laurence Harvey brilliant as a london Jew boy,,trying to promote acts,,including Cliff Richard,,Harvey does a brilliant jive,,wearing a Trilby,,

Remember the shirt Cliff wore,,bought one the same after seeing the film,,60 years since and still recall buying it in town, 19/11,,knocked the girls bandy,, lol,,

• Like 5

A Nightingale sang in Berkley square,,1979,,

David Niven,,and a crop of familiar faces,,michael angelis,,Richard Johnson(,,could tell you a tale about a bloke i knew who claimed to be his brother) Oliver Tobias,,and a host of others,,

Love old rogues who go for it,probably because I've known so many,,even in Nottingham ,shame they mostly get caught,, lol,

• 2 weeks later...

Just watched a ten minute film called "Sunday in Southend in 1959" 

Just as i remember our seaside places all those years ago,,bustling with well dressed working class holiday makers eating ""Candy floss""

Enjoyed a short spell working in Southend few years back,,even walked the Pier ala Minder,,  lol,,

Got to go Alfred Burke in Public eye just starting,,

• Like 1
12 hours ago, benjamin1945 said:

Got to go Alfred Burke in Public eye just starting,,

When that first appeared in the late 60s I thought it was dull and boring; couldn't understand why anyone would watch it.

I've watched a few in recent weeks and it's the dull, ordinariness which is its strong point. The slightly seedy, un-glamorous view of the world is what makes it so good.

• Like 1

Exactly my view cliff ton,,simple things that the camera dwells on,,  lighting the gas,,stirring the tea,,locking a door,,

Also enjoy looking the cast up,,see what they doing now,(if still with us) can't remember the blokes name, but last night one of the actors was born in Nottingham,,