• Replies 252
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Not on Talking Pictures, but on one of the other old TV channels........   The other day I was watching an old episode of Last of the Summer Wine, from around 1977-78. It was always billed a

This one does!!

Watching Expresso Bongo""1959,, Some great familiar names and faces,,Laurence Harvey brilliant as a london Jew boy,,trying to promote acts,,including Cliff Richard,,Harvey does a brilliant jive,,

Whistle down the wind'' 1961,,

Great film,,Alan Bates,,and Hayley Mills,,loved the Northern accents of all the kids that thought Alan Bates was Jesus,,filmed 10 miles from Burnley in black and white,,,regular familiar faces,,,,excellent,,

• Like 2

He was Jill,,,very funny the things he came out with,,,Jesus let his cat die,,,

• Like 1

Over the last few months on Talking Pictures I’ve seen several films featuring Richard Hearne (Mr Pastry). He wasn’t playing the character of Mr Pastry, but he looked the same and behaved the same. Seeing Mr P on the screen is one of my very earliest television memories; I’m immediately transported back to my grandma’s house on Dunlop Avenue, Lenton, where Mr Pastry always seemed to be on the telly when we visited.

Richard Hearne’s films - and style of comedy -  don’t seem to have dated quite as much as some others from that era, and I can watch them all the way through without getting bored or embarrassed.

• Like 2

Always looked the same as well,,

Public eye starting,,are you all watching,,think he'll put the kettle on tonight,, lol

4 hours ago, Cliff Ton said:

I’ve seen several films featuring Richard Hearne (Mr Pastry).

Even as a kid I never found Mr Pastry at all funny along with Charlie Drake and Norman Wisdom, their humour was far too telegraphed for my liking. Not forgetting that annoying little irk Arthur Askey

8 hours ago, benjamin1945 said:

Well spotted Malc,,did you notice the Copper out of Minder? 

Wondered where I had seen him before

9 hours ago, Oztalgian said:

Even as a kid I never found Mr Pastry at all funny along with Charlie Drake and Norman Wisdom, 

3 hours ago, The Pianoman said:

Couldn't stand Norman Wisdom and still can't. Don't see anything funny in him at all.

Wisdom I've never liked. Too sentimental and exaggerated.

At various times I've read and heard that both he and Drake were obnoxious, unpleasant people, totally different to their on-screen characters.

16 minutes ago, Cliff Ton said:

At various times I've read and heard that both he and Drake were obnoxious, unpleasant people, totally different to their on-screen characters.

I think if you look hard enough the same has been said of most 'personalities', usually by someone with an axe to grind. One of the prerequisites for a performer is an ego the size of Wales and it's almost inevitable that they become too full of their own self importance.

One the other side of the coin there are those that are genuinely nice people.

• Upvote 1

Charlie Drake..... Talentless dwarf !

2 minutes ago, FLY2 said:

Charlie Drake..... Talentless dwarf !

I can remember him being dragged through a bookcase and knocked unconscious, which is an opening for someone to come along and make a comment on.

I was going to say I'm in the minority in that I actually liked those mentioned here but I don't think i am. Norman got a bit much of a muchness and Askey was only funny in parts but thinking about it they would not have achieved the success they did if they weren't hugely popular.  They were of their time. I howled with laughter at Laurel and Hardy as a youngster but their  antics now hardly raise an eyebrow. 

Of a similar era, I liked Eric Sykes and Ted Ray.

It's the same with Morecambe and Wise. They were of an era but not screamingly funny. I saw them live at the Theatre Royal once and was very disappointed. I can't remember the last time I rolled on the floor in pain with laughter. Perhaps now I'm more mature my sense of humour has waned.

Likewise, but the Two Ronnies outclassed other pairs hands down !

• Like 1

Exactly Phil. Clever too, and a brilliant knowledge of the English language. They didn't rely on banal one liners. Every facet of every scenario was extremely well thought out. Just think of the Mastermind snippet for example.

But as a pair..... Utterly supreme.

VW, an absolute one off. I never tire of watching Dinnerladies. A superb cast too !

2 hours ago, Brew said:

I howled with laughter at Laurel and Hardy as a youngster but their  antics now hardly raise an eyebrow. 

I can't believe how slow and dull their films now come across. I know they were pioneers in their day, but they definitely haven't aged well.

Lee Mack is just the same no matter what he's in. Used to like him but caught a show ' In Concert ', every other word was effin this and effin that ! Really does get to me when they can't get a laugh without swearing !!